GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Whatever. . . I do know that I am getting more than "20 to 40 feet".

Two years ago I would not have touched an LED headlight. The new and better ones have the LED chips bonded to a ceramic substrate strip (not plastic) that then is mechanically bonded to a fairly thick aluminum stalk. The die cast stalk flares out on the opposite end and is bonded to the heat sink. To me, yes I do feel the fan is a potential failure point, but so are some other parts and even some halogen bulb designs.

My biggest point is that now the price is down and comparable to so called "premium halogen" bulbs that cook the crap out of the filament that may last a year and some maybe only a few months. I am sure you are familiar with even name brand halogens that sell for $35, $40. and even $55 or more. So. . if I can sample some LED headlights for under $40 or so and they get me a year of use I get to have a 4400K, 5500K or 6000K light source for a modest price . . . . while LEDs still are improving.

As I said in my first earlier post, I enjoy trying new things just because. I didn't make this post to start a series of arguments about "what is better". I have gone through things like this from flat screen TV calibration to what is the "best" car polish or wax, CD player or digital media on memory devices, etc. I am not trying to convert anyone, argue about it or any of that sort of thing.

It is just a thing I want to do without criticism. In fact, I originally included a disclaimer in my first post but took it out.

Now maybe I should have left it in. :cheers:

Here is what I originally had at the beginning of this thread:

NOTE:[/color] I need to make a disclaimer. If you do not find this thread useful and not your cup of tea, that is OK with me. I do not need or want to start debates or negative criticism. This is just something I want to try. I state this because at times, things are not appreciated by some.
[/color]

·
Registered
281 Posts
Fair enough I gotcha. Believe me I want to be proven wrong, I love LED's.

But anywhoo back on topic. How flexible is the goop you used? I wanna get my hands on as many options I can to bond polypropylene and it's hard to find things that work. I have a stockpile of JB Plastic bonder for it but it's hideous when it cures

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
fsanti87 said:
Fair enough I gotcha. Believe me I want to be proven wrong, I love LED's.

But anywhoo back on topic. How flexible is the goop you used? I wanna get my hands on as many options I can to bond polypropylene and it's hard to find things that work. I have a stockpile of JB Plastic bonder for it but it's hideous when it cures
Polyproplyene is slippery stuff and difficult to bond to other materials isn't it? Much like Delrin. The "Goop" brand adhesive remains somewhat elastic after curing. It bonded the PVC drain cap to the thermoset plastic dust cap and is holding firmly. Dap makes a spray adhesive that is supposed to work well on poly polypropylene and polyethylene. I haven't tried it.

The pdf on this website link may be of interest - - [/color]-http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/us/content_data/Hard_to_Bond_Plastics756739.pdf

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yea it is and it can be a PITA finding adhesives that'll work on thermoset plastics. That should be what your bulb caps are made of.

I was hoping the goop wasn't like elastic but I could still think of a few uses for that Thanks for that link that was an interesting read.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
JayT2014 said:
(Goop Automotive ) . . ." It bonded the PVC drain cap to the thermoset plastic dust cap and is holding firmly. [/color]

I would try the Goop Automotive adhesive on some test pieces and see how it works for your application. As I said, it bonded the PVC extension and thermoset ( I stated it is ) dust cap very well; and it is it is pretty firm when cured. I hadn't checked it since making the extensions, but now after several days the Goop Automotive seems very strong and not rubbery at all.

·
Registered
19 Posts
JayT, are you still happy with your bulbs? I tried Philips Diamondvision in my 2017 as a stock replacement, and while it looks a lot better, it's not as bright as I'd like, and doesn't really match the LED DRL's in the fog housing. I'd like to entertain the idea of the LED's you used along with the housing, but want to know if you still like your upgrade, and if you were able to aim your projectors down a bit?

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So far I am liking the LED bulbs I mentioned. Granted, I've only been using them for about 3 weeks. So far, the lighting pattern is good after adjusting downward a turn or so for both right and left sides. You can always try the bulbs without the dust cap mod, but the modification works well to provide extra room no matter what after market bulb you would go with.

Yes, aiming the headlights downward a bit is pretty easy. There is a recessed hole adjust just above each headlight. If you shine a light down in them you can see a saw tooth rack adjustment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi JayT2014,

Thanks for this post! Not sure if this was mentioned already but did you end up drilling holes in the extended dust cap for better airflow? I'm curious how the leds with built-in fans are working so far. Any issues? I want to do the same mod to my 2012 Terrain.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
animefan0611 said:
Hi JayT2014,

Thanks for this post! Not sure if this was mentioned already but did you end up drilling holes in the extended dust cap for better airflow? I'm curious how the leds with built-in fans are working so far. Any issues? I want to do the same mod to my 2012 Terrain.
SO far the H11 LEDS are working ok inside the extended dust covers. I had them on constantly over a 14 hour round trip with ambient temps of 50 to 72F. I checked the housings right after stopping after 7 hours of running and they were warm, but not hot.

Last weekend, with temps up to 92F, we took a 50 minute drive to a nearby town and returned later. The housings were noticeably warmer, but the LEDS continued working.

I have mixed feelings about boring holes into the housing for allowing outside airflow and more cooling. It will also allow dust and maybe moisture into the fan and possibly build up a dirt film on the heat sink cooling fins.

But so far so good. This is an experiment for me. I figured $35 for these LEDs was a good forst try on them. Lately, there are quite a few out there in the $50 to $80 range that seem pretty good and are plug and play.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks! :)

I have the same feeling about having open holes into the housing for better cooling. There was one time when I didn't place the dust cap properly after installing HID and I had headlight condensation/fogging.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
animefan0611 said:
Thanks! :)

I have the same feeling about having open holes into the housing for better cooling. There was one time when I didn't place the dust cap properly after installing HID and I had headlight condensation/fogging.

We just made a 140 mile round trip in 88 to 93F temps with the LEDs on all the way. It was about +3 hours of actual driving time on state and local highways. When I returned home, I felt the driver side dust cover and it was pretty warm just as all the plastic parts get under the hood. The headlights are still working great and I had a chance to check the cut off and highway operation on 2 lane roads, where, if the headlights aren't aimed correctly, oncoming drivers would certainly "flash" me if there were getting blinded. No flashes whatsoever and the lighting pattern is great.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2. I'm looking for the dust cover for my application and it shows that my Part Number is 23486492. While the one you provided is 23486491. Mine isn't a dust cover like the one you have shown. Would I have to order the 23486491 and modify that? I ordered my LED low beams and didn't know I had to modify my dust cover until I came across this thread. Any idea? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I have a 2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2. I'm looking for the dust cover for my application and it shows that my Part Number is 23486492. While the one you provided is 23486491. Mine isn't a dust cover like the one you have shown. Would I have to order the 23486491 and modify that? I ordered my LED low beams and didn't know I had to modify my dust cover until I came across this thread. Any idea? Thank you.

Yes. . . GMC uses a different dust cover. Apologies, the one in this thread is for the Chevy Equinox. Not sure how the extension modification using the PVC cap would work on the 2348691.
However, there are also other rubber dust cover extensions you can find on Amazon and Ebay. You would have to measure the size (diameter) and see if one of those could be tightly slipped onto the housing instead of the stock dust cover.
Here is a link to some - - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=headlight+dust+cover&rh=n:15684181,k:headlight+dust+cover

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok . . since May-June I've been running with the dust covers and swapped LED bulbs with our other car so it would have LED headlights too. Everything running just fine.

I did upgrade to a better bulb with a newer chip and brighter light output and coverage.

Currently, the bulbs have a coupon deal for $42 a pair. Very nice bulbs and about the same price as a pair of those short lasting halogen upgrade bulbs.

https://www.dealnews.com/search.html?search=Sealight+LED

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTYUT10/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A298MPJAFJ2R5R&psc=1

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Could people post the make and model number of the bulbs they have tried and whether they need the dust cover or not for future reference. The links are nice, but they could go away in the future.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Could people post the make and model number of the bulbs they have tried and whether they need the dust cover or not for future reference. The links are nice, but they could go away in the future.
The newer Xenondepot H11 with flexible braided wire or metal strap should also fit under the stock dust cover when spread out and positioned well.

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-LED-headlight-kit-p/h11-led-hl.htm

The Diode Dynamics SL1 should fit under the stock dust cover.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/h11-sl1-led-headlight-pair.html

The Sealight I posted above needs a dust cover extension on 2010-2017 Eq/Terr.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am going to send these Cougar Motor LED's back and get the H11 Extreme LED pro kit from Xenon Depot. They are running 15% off right now. So 106.00 shipped...

Reason for returning. Well the Cougars are bright but too much blue for me. I also tried a couple different housing extension methods and still getting condensation in my headlights. So I am going back to stock housings and the Xenon Depot kit is 5500k which is want I prefer and suppose to work with the stock housings.

Will report back after I install the XD kit!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts