GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to change my backup lights and reverse lights on my SUV and truck for a while now. Cosmetic reasons mainly. Also, after installing a LED light strip on my grandfather’s truck, he wanted one like I have on mine, I would also like to switch his to LED for cosmetic reasons. My grandfather also asked me specifically about brighter reverse lights in my grandmothers Camry to help her see after installing a backup camera for her. So looked up the bulb size and learned my SUV, his truck, and her Camry all use 921 wedge style bulbs. Now I realize performance will vary based on the housing design of each vehicle but after reading the following article, I was hoping for your input. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/the-921-led-reverse-light-bulb-study.490137/
The image that is most striking to me is the comparison of the two bulbs through the backup camera. I wish he had included this image in each bulb comparison. Obviously he enjoys the HIR, but I have stated cosmetics are important to myself.
Rather than asking what LED 921 bulb is best, can you guys provide me your opinion on any LED back bulb (brand and purchase location) you are using along with a photo of its reverse camera performance?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
BUNEDOX;277633 Rather than asking what LED 921 bulb is best said:
I've used these in two GM vehicles for +3 years now. They wok well.
Here's the thing. These Samsung LEDS are very, very bright. About 8 times brighter or more than any stock bulbs. However, you do not want to go too bright, because it will interfere and wash out the image in the back up camera. Also, if you go too much larger, they will not fit or focus well in the backup light housing.

Trust me. . . I bought the next size or two up from these and they are way too bright and also blind people behind you.
The ones I pictures are almost like small headlights. Also, these have proven to be very reliable and durable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-921-912...h=item1cb4479a52:g:zDkAAOSwl39bXmiv:rk:7:pf:0

There is also the next size up, but you are taking a chance they will be a bit snug. .. and too bright. They are monster bright .

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-astar-...SPSFirstClass!53546!US!-1:rk:46:pf:0&LH_BIN=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been wanting to change my backup lights and reverse lights on my SUV and truck for a while now. Cosmetic reasons mainly. Also, after installing a LED light strip on my grandfather’s truck, he wanted one like I have on mine, I would also like to switch his to LED for cosmetic reasons. My grandfather also asked me specifically about brighter reverse lights in my grandmothers Camry to help her see after installing a backup camera for her. So looked up the bulb size and learned my SUV, his truck, and her Camry all use 921 wedge style bulbs. Now I realize performance will vary based on the housing design of each vehicle but after reading the following article, I was hoping for your input. The 921 LED Reverse Light Bulb Study
The image that is most striking to me is the comparison of the two bulbs through the backup camera. I wish he had included this image in each bulb comparison. Obviously he enjoys the HIR, but I have stated cosmetics are important to myself.
Rather than asking what LED 921 bulb is best, can you guys provide me your opinion on any LED back bulb (brand and purchase location) you are using along with a photo of its reverse camera performance?
I installed 921bulbs from amazon the lights are bright but now the backup camera stays on all the time do not turn off when going forward

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
Same. Anyone fix this?
[/QUOTE]
LED bulbs do not ''load'' the system like standard bulbs so system keeps camera on. A load resistor needs to be wired into the system to simulate the standard bulb loading so camera is turned off.

Reactions: Bwelsh321

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
333 Posts
Wouldn't a canbus LED bulb fix this issue? They have built in resistor.

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
128 Posts
Installed a pair of 9921 912 LED Bulbs, High Power Backup Light Bulbs, 9-32V 5-SMD T15 w16w, w12w for Reverse Lights, RV Camper Trailer Boat Trunk Interior Lights, 2 Pack https://a.co/d/0mLJPzV with no issues. Definitely brighter than stock. Just make sure their can bus led bulbs.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
With these offshore LED's sometimes the ''canbus'' ones aren't enough to satisfy the system. It can be trial and error.

Reactions: ricklack

·
Registered
77 Posts
My wife's Terrain (2014) backup oem bulb burned out. I ordered some led bulbs for $5.99 for a pair on Amazon and they are bright, much better than the oem bulbs, almost like headlights. In dark in reverse used to see a red tint to the camera screen, now no red. I didn't see any codes pop up. Since I just installed today I haven't had much time to see if they last, but these are ones I bought. Camera went off and on in reverse fine, no issues but I have a 2014, think others here have newer body Terrain.

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
I've been fortunate, the Chinese CAN bus ones in my '16 have been fine for 80k miles now.

Reactions: Rotwiler
1 - 11 of 11 Posts