GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started leaving my iPod Touch connected to the Terrain overnight and during the day when I'm not using it. I'm just wondering if this is ok or if this will drain the Terrain's battery or anything like that? It's mostly due to the fact that I hate when I eject the iPod and connect it later I have to go back to the album I was listening to, then find the track I left off at. So basically I just leave it connected all the time.

So just wondering if i'm doing damage or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had 2 iPods die this way. One in the winter and one in the summer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll keep an eye on the temperature, I didn't plan on leaving it on during extreme heat or cold but right now its fairly mild outside so im good.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd use a USB Memory stick instead of an expensive iPod.

The memory stick is:
- much much cheaper.
- less likely to fail due to weather causes (heat/cold)
- easier to replace
- no DRM
- no worries about theft
- can have many in your car to help with organization of music
- and can actually be faster for your radio to access

·
Registered
18 Posts
The memory stick is a good idea. I read somewhere in the manual that there is a limit to the number of items the stereo can access on a flash drive. It was something like 2500. Which, is quite a bit unless you have a large library and want everything on one drive.

An another note, if you have an iPhone, Pandora radio plays just fine through the USB port. That was one of the first things I did on me test drive:)

Chad

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I leave my iPod connected (iPod Classic 160GB), when I return and start the vehicle the display reads "Aux Plug Out". I have to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in for the vehicle to recognize the iPod again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was just going to ask this exact question so I'm glad I searched before I created a new topic for it. I like being able to leave my ipod plugged in since it will just pick up where it left off when I start my car. It also pauses where I am if I change the source to XM or whatever and when I switch back it picks right back up from where it was when I switched sources. I was thinking about going the flash drive route like Narg mentioned but I have a few concerns about it. One is that I'm not sure about the limit on the number of songs that the stereo can access on the flash drive. If it's 2500 that's actually kind of lame since my library is bigger than that (I'm sure I'm not the only one). I'm also not sure about how to organize my music on something like that. If there's was a way to essentially duplicate my itunes library on a flash drive (just the audio files of course) with the playlists and everything, that would be a great way to go since flash drives are so cheap.

·
Registered
79 Posts
chadh said:
The memory stick is a good idea. I read somewhere in the manual that there is a limit to the number of items the stereo can access on a flash drive. It was something like 2500. Which, is quite a bit unless you have a large library and want everything on one drive.
Just checked my owner's manual and it actually says that it will read the first 10,000 songs on the flash drive so that would work great for me since I have less than 10,000 songs in my itunes library. Now I just have to figure out if there's a way to duplicate my itunes library on a flash drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good information here.
I pick up my Equinox on Saturday and plan to simply plug in and leave an old third generation iPod Nano.
I also just grabbed an 8G LaCie MosKeyto flash drive. (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10425)
Comes formatted FAT32 and only sticks 6mm out of the port. Not sure how the system will organize songs/folders yet, but looking forward to finding out..
Cheers..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts