1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here are the codes that are popping up on my
2010 GMC Terrain

FWD

The BANK 1 Cam Positioning Sensors have been changed ( both Intake and Exhaust)

Car runs good, starts good, good performance

22.2 MPG

So after reading these codes, Is it

camshaft position actuator?
timing chain?
or?

P0014 - Exhaust Cam System Performance Bank 1
P0017 Crankshaft Position/Exhaust Cam Position Not Plausible Bank 1
P0016 Crank Position/Intake Cam Position Not Plausible Bank 1
P0018 Crankshaft Position Intake Camshaft Not Plausible Bank 2
P0021 Intake Camshaft Position System Performance Bank 2
P0172 Fuel System Rich Bank 2
P0175 Fuel System Rich Bank 1

Thanks

·
Registered
136 Posts
Did you just replace the 2 solenoids (intake and exhaust)
Or did you replace the camshaft position sensor as well? (Its different from the solenoids)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The codes 16,17, and 18 are saying the ECM has detected the camshafts are either too advanced or too retarded in relation to the crankshaft.

That can be the timing chain.

But since the Actuator Solenoids are used by the ECM to dynamically advance or retard the camshaft timing while the engine is running, and since these solenoids are a known maintenance item on many of these engines (clogging), and since they are not overly expensive, I would be at least removing, cleaning, and reinstalling them to see what effect that had first, and maybe even replacing them if they're originals.

Also ... how's your oil change schedule? Could you have been running your oil changes a bit on the late side? Some parts associated with maintaining the timing on these engines rely on oil pressure: The aforementioned Solenoids, and Tensioners on the Timing Chain (I still wonder if those things can back-off/retract over time, causing slack in the chain ... has yet to be proven). Also got those plastic chain guides in there. If the oil runs low, the chain will probably eat away at those plastic pieces, possibly sending tiny fragments into orifices, reducing oil flow even more... exacerbating the problem!

If the oil pressure isn't where it needs to be, I would imagine the ECM will have trouble dynamically controlling the engine timing ... and maybe that would lead to these codes.

I've got this same 3.0L engine (on a 2011), and so far, so good ... no codes ... but when I see posts like this, I wonder if it's just a preview of what's to come...

·
Registered
136 Posts
The codes 16,17, and 18 are saying the ECM has detected the camshafts are either too advanced or too retarded in relation to the crankshaft.

But since the Actuator Solenoids are used by the ECM to dynamically advance or retard the camshaft timing while the engine is running, and since these solenoids are a known maintenance item on many of these engines (clogging), and since they are not overly expensive, I would be at least removing, cleaning, and reinstalling them to see what effect that had first, and maybe even replacing them if they're originals.

Also ... how's your oil change schedule? Could you have been running your oil changes a bit on the late side? Some parts associated with maintaining the timing on these engines rely on oil pressure: The aforementioned Solenoids, and Tensioners on the Timing Chain (I still wonder if those things can back-off/retract over time, causing slack in the chain ... has yet to be proven). Also got those plastic chain guides in there. If the oil runs low, the chain will probably eat away at those plastic pieces, possibly sending tiny fragments into orifices, reducing oil flow even more... exacerbating the problem!

If the oil pressure isn't where it needs to be, I would imagine the ECM will have trouble dynamically controlling the engine timing ... and maybe that would lead to these codes.

I've got this same 3.0L engine (on a 2011), and so far, so good ... no codes ... but when I see posts like this, I wonder if it's just a preview of what's to come...
Would pulling the solenoids (easy on the 2.4) and check the screen give indication of clogging/too long of intervals between oil changes?

I checked mine, screens were clean, I do notice if I change my oil closer to 3k miles vs 5k that it runs better overall. In my experience with my 2.4 I'm better off following the 'old school' 3k mile rule.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will order and replace the Actuators

Once I do this, and it is the right job. Do the codes auto reset or are they a Hard Reset?

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I will order and replace the Actuators

Once I do this, and it is the right job. Do the codes auto reset or are they a Hard Reset?

I myself would disconnect the negative battery cable. Some say if you have a scan tool to reset the code with that. Otherwise you'll have a few start/stop cycles to reset. Really any are fine, the car constantly 'relearns' air/fuel mix and adapts over time. Codes will clear or stay, a good steady highway run is always good (about 2k rpm around 65mph for a few minutes, make sure the engine gets to normal operating temp, maybe 15 mins)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered and received to solenoids. Went to install and the hole at the end is to small and wont slide in flush

1 - 8 of 8 Posts