GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Looks great. How'd you do it? I've noticed glare from the chrome also.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I heard a report on another forum that only the first few months of Nox production have the shiny latches, and the newer ones are shipping with a flat silver finish that matches the trim around the radio/nav controls. If it isn't too expensive we might be able to order a replacement part?

·
Registered
297 Posts
NoobNox said:
I heard a report on another forum that only the first few months of Nox production have the shiny latches, and the newer ones are shipping with a flat silver finish that matches the trim around the radio/nav controls. If it isn't too expensive we might be able to order a replacement part?
The two 'Noxes we saw at our dealer last week had the matte finish on the storage latch. I would imagine it can be something you will be able to get.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I like that. Did you do the vent surrounds as well? Looks good for sure though.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used the same material that I put on bow tie emblems both front and rear. Im sure it was easier than the abobr picture but not as nice looking. Great job.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Our vent surrounds are a matte silver finish. Heck, yours looks to be even ONE piece while ours is two pieces. Strange.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That glare got me to. So about 3 weeks ago I tried to get the latch off but could not so I painted it in place with some acrylic flat black and a really small paint brush. Took about 10 minutes of actual paint time and about 30 minutes of dry time in between the 3 coats. Looks really good, just like the grometsc pic.

·
Registered
297 Posts
grometsc said:
Never even noticed that as a difference between the Nox and Terrain

But we have the same matte finish on the outer vents (that is odd to me)
I've never noticed that difference either. But, I do prefer the look of the 'Nox's center stack vents.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If you have the NAV you don't have this problem :) Which actually is a bummer though because we miss this nice little storage space. We had it on our HHR, and I have it on my Traverse. Very nicely done grom!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for the info. The way I did it worked for a short while but the paint started coming off and I had to touch up a few times. I started getting the polka dot effect.
Now I can do it right.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, tried to get the lock assy. off with no luck. Pushed down, tried to lift up first the top then the bottom with my finger then with the screw driver. I feel as though it is going to break and I will be screwed. Which end is supposed to pop up? Also do you mean to push straight down or as the latch slides down? I must be a clutz! I do have the picture you posted.

·
Registered
282 Posts
No offense...but you guys are crazy! Haha I have never noticed any excessive glare off of any of the chrome pieces in the interior of my 'Nox! I just wear sunglasses all the time :). Or perhaps I am just too busy enjoying the view and the new car smell has me a little dazed ::) haha.

·
Registered
830 Posts
grometsc said:
Take a picture of your dash "cobby hole" latch. I've heard on later models they stopped using the bright chrome latch
Yes now it is grey like the rest of the moldings around the radio and vents...

·
Registered
137 Posts
I guess in Canada they do not get the bright sunlight in the afternoon like we get in south Florida. Very bright and even with sunglasses, disturbing. The upgrade still reflects, so for the solution just paint the latch and be done with it. Should have been the same color and texture of the dash before the first Nox left the assembly line which is a flat black and not satin.
Amazing that there are dozens of GM/Chevy designers and engineers involved in the making of the Nox and there are so many issues that could have been avoided.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Good news. Bad news. Good news.
Finally got the latch off and painted it with the KRYLON Satin Black . The finished product did not even come close to what the lid looked like. It was more semi-gloss than satin and several shades off. So I went and got some Krylon Flat Black roughed up the latch a little and cleaned up then painted with four coats. Well whaddya know. I reinstalled the latch and it is almost a perfect match to the slightly textured lid and the flat black looks like it belongs there. A lot of work for 1 little piece but worth the effort.
I inquired at the dealer parts dept. if they had a replacent latch (this was just in case I broke this one) and he said there was none listed but you could buy the compartment for $ 150.00 and that included the latch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts