GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Larger AT Tires on Stock 17 Inch Rims?

Anyone running one inch taller, or wider tires on factory 17 inch rim?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Larger AT Tires on Stock 17 Inch Rims?

Anyone running one inch taller, or wider tires on factory 17 inch rim?

I’m using 235/65/r17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm currently sitting on 19" rims, however I'm going to change them out for 17" and put some Kumho Road Venture AT51 tyres on it (235/65 17), I'll post some pics of the new setup once it's complete

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm currently running 33x11.5r17 on my stock rims. scrubbing is minimal, so I just let the tires themselves wear out the fender walls

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Wow, that be like continuing to drive through a 6' wide garage door, until the car finally fits.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I went for Kumho Road Venture AT51 - 235/65 R17.
I've also lifted the suspension with King Springs, roughly a 20mm lift,
Here's the before and after
Do you have any specs on the wheels like width and back spacing. This is exactly what I’m looking to do. Did you find the right lug pattern or just go with the 114.3 or what ever it is that’s close?

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Did you find the right lug pattern or just go with the 114.3 or what ever it is that’s close?

You cannot just be "close". You must be exactly the same as factory lug pattern

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
So, you can just bore out the holes a little. Sorry, I didn't realize that it wouldn't produce some wobble. Learned something new today.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So, you can just bore out the holes a little. Sorry, I didn't realize that it wouldn't produce some wobble. Learned something new today.
The hub is what centers the wheel and the lugs just keep it tight to the hub. It’s only .6 mm Total and .3 per side and the lugs are tapered. If tightened properly there shouldn’t be any problems. Lots of people do it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The hub is what centers the wheel and the lugs just keep it tight to the hub. It’s only .6 mm Total and .3 per side and the lugs are tapered. If tightened properly there shouldn’t be any problems. Lots of people do it.
Once
I agree that wheels are indexed in the center hole, (2018+=70.3), however using a bolt pattern different than 5x115 would be a fools errand! Years ago there were after market "universal" wheels with slotted out holes. The lugs tighten on a shoulder in the lug slot. The lugs nuts had a mating shoulder, not tapered. These did not work well even when the center hole was correct, however they were "designed",(?), to index on the lugs. If the bump didn't appear right after the install it wasn't long before it did.
If the suggested plan would be to use 5x114.3 wheels in place of 5x115 wheels, (both w/70.3 CH), the lug nuts and wheel holes would not be concentric and there would be minimum contact and high potential for loosening.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Once
I agree that wheels are indexed in the center hole, (2018+=70.3), however using a bolt pattern different than 5x115 would be a fools errand! Years ago there were after market "universal" wheels with slotted out holes. The lugs tighten on a shoulder in the lug slot. The lugs nuts had a mating shoulder, not tapered. These did not work well even when the center hole was correct, however they were "designed",(?), to index on the lugs. If the bump didn't appear right after the install it wasn't long before it did.
If the suggested plan would be to use 5x114.3 wheels in place of 5x115 wheels, (both w/70.3 CH), the lug nuts and wheel holes would not be concentric and there would be minimum contact and high potential for loosening.
To each their own but we are talking .010” misalignment per hole or equivalent to a human hair. The engineering tolerance stack up alone is probably greater than that. Stamped steel wheels likely don’t even hold that kind of tolerance. This is one of the reasons lugs are tapered on the end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Suspension & Wheel specs

Do you have the PN for the King springs you used?

TIA
I'm assuming PN means part number? Yeah see below;

Do you have any specs on the wheels like width and back spacing. This is exactly what I’m looking to do. Did you find the right lug pattern or just go with the 114.3 or what ever it is that’s close?
Yeah I found the right lug pattern,
I also considered buying a set of blank lug wheels and having them custom bored out,
However it was more accurate and cheaper to get these ones (Speedy Wheels "Butane")

Here are the specs;

King Springs Raised Coil - Part Numbers
Front: KHFR-194
Rear: KHRR-195

Wheels
Size: 17x 7.5
Offset: ET40
PCD: 5x115
Load: 760kgs

Let me know if you need any other info,

Cheers,

·
Registered
67 Posts
How's the ride quality compared to the factory setup? I've been considering this as I like the more rugged look that the AT tires offer over the stock 19's. Obviously I wouldn't be taking the Denali off roading so ride quality comparison is more what I'm looking at.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts