GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, have a 2013 SLT-2 V6 with Lane Departure/Collision Avoidance. It worked fine the entire life of the vehicle up until this year. Now it seems that both Lane Departure and Collision Avoidance are working intermittently (majority of the time not working). On a 30 minute drive it may work once for about 15 seconds. Both features come and go at the same time, so it's not unique to one feature. The windshield has been cleaned numerous times where the camera is, and it doesn't matter what distance the collision warning is set to.

After looking closer, it seems like the lense on the camera itself has hazed over from sun damage. At least I assume the camera lense is supposed to be crystal clear and not hazy, right? I cannot even find a part number on the camera.

I've searched and searched, and can't find a single other soul with this issue. I'm about ready to rip the camera out from the windshield/rear view mirror assembly and try cleaning/polishing the lense on the camera....thought I'd see if anyone here has suggestions first.

Thanks all,

Photos of camera (sorry I just thought to take photos and it's night time now):

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I just checked my 2014 LTZ and the camera lens is crystal clear.
It's in the garage all the time so I think your idea of sun damage is probably right.

I checked it straight on with a strong light and all you get is reflection thru the windshield.
Better to check it from an angle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Part number looks to be GM part # 23251565
Thank you. That is significantly cheaper than what I was initially aniticpating. It won't bother me trying to polish the existing camera now.

I just checked my 2014 LTZ and the camera lens is crystal clear.
It's in the garage all the time so I think your idea of sun damage is probably right.
The vehicle does sit outside, so I'm sure that accelerated it. What I find interesting is that the camera lens must not be made from glass; glass would not haze and spider crack like that from sun damage. It must be a polycarbonate lens (or other plastic).

This has to be a problem that is now starting to effect the earlier years of vehicles with this camera. I would think it would be more widespread (or starting to become widespread). I'm not sure about prevention for people with good cameras, either, there's really no way to protect it from potential UV damage down the road.

Not sure if I'll be able to take it out before the weekend, but I'll post back whatever I find.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Just remove the inside rearview mirror mount cover plate and it's right there.
No screws all plastic clips, one plug in connector.

If you replace the Front Camera Module, it has to be programmed.
Can be done with a upper level scanner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update: Took it off last night. Upon taking it off, the lens was just as hazy as in the original photos, but it just wiped off...it was like dust, but not quite dust. It was all over the lens housing, too. What I believe it is, is the lens housing (the lighter grey color plastic) started breaking down from UV exposure and covered the lens. The housing appears to be a GFRP material (presumably to keep the lenses rigid), and there was a dusty coating all over it from breaking down. The lens, as best I can tell, is indeed glass.

I cleaned it as best I could, reinstalled, and today it appears to be working fine again. Thought about using a plastic protectant like 303 on the plastic, but I was worried about getting any liquid or oils into the lens itself, so opted not to and just cleaned it with Q-tips and compressed air.

If (when) it acts up again I'll be sure to post back here. Thinking about a more permanent fix, because even applying a protectant to the plastic is only good for so long.

Thank you everyone for your help.

If you replace the Front Camera Module, it has to be programmed.
Can be done with a upper level scanner.
That's useful information, most sellers do not mention that.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I would still use some 303 on the plastic around it. . . if indeed the dust came from that.

Have you checked the HVAC cabin air filter to see if it is dirty or clogged? Or has there been a lot of dust, animal dander etc, smoke or volcanic ash in the area? Even salt sea air might carry enough to make a film.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I think it's just interior parts continually ''out gassing'' for years causing the film.
That's how windows get filmed on the inside even when parked in a garage for weeks without being driven. Even worse when parked out in the sun.
Makes me crazy after doing a full clean up and windows inside have a film again.

Reactions: arcee and kbz1960

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all, have a 2013 SLT-2 V6 with Lane Departure/Collision Avoidance. It worked fine the entire life of the vehicle up until this year. Now it seems that both Lane Departure and Collision Avoidance are working intermittently (majority of the time not working). On a 30 minute drive it may work once for about 15 seconds. Both features come and go at the same time, so it's not unique to one feature. The windshield has been cleaned numerous times where the camera is, and it doesn't matter what distance the collision warning is set to.

After looking closer, it seems like the lense on the camera itself has hazed over from sun damage. At least I assume the camera lense is supposed to be crystal clear and not hazy, right? I cannot even find a part number on the camera.

I've searched and searched, and can't find a single other soul with this issue. I'm about ready to rip the camera out from the windshield/rear view mirror assembly and try cleaning/polishing the lense on the camera....thought I'd see if anyone here has suggestions first.

Thanks all,

Photos of camera (sorry I just thought to take photos and it's night time now):

View attachment 17096 View attachment 17097
Clean the lense with wd and fine scotch brite!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts