GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

L4,2.4L Runs after key shut off

56K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mystic22665 
#1 ·
2010 Terrain, 42186 kms,
has anybody come across this issue, shut the key off and engine continues to run for approx 3-5 seconds, It doesn't do it all the time,
Also noticed that it seems to happen if engine has a rough idle, doesn't do it cold, only when engine is hot.

#2 ·
wade said:
2010 Terrain, 42186 kms,
has anybody come across this issue, shut the key off and engine continues to run for approx 3-5 seconds, It doesn't do it all the time,
Also noticed that it seems to happen if engine has a rough idle, doesn't do it cold, only when engine is hot.
Check for fuel in the oil. Run on is one of the symptoms that the tech told me last week. The high pressure fuel pumps are failing and fuel gets into the crankcase. The pump is powered by the camshaft. the seal in the pump fails allowing fuel to get past the shaft and into the crankcase.

#4 ·
Its really not a safety issue. If it is doing it you will have a code set. Take it to the dealer or have ON* do a scan on it.

Its called dieseling for a reason. Run away diesels have been happening for a long time now and they will never be recalled. Now, it is a failure issue that does need to be dealt with. BMW finally realized that their Bosch made units suck and fail far too often and did a recall on them. I bet will see a recall sooner rather than later.

#5 ·
bballr4567 said:
Its really not a safety issue. If it is doing it you will have a code set. Take it to the dealer or have ON* do a scan on it.

Its called dieseling for a reason. Run away diesels have been happening for a long time now and they will never be recalled. Now, it is a failure issue that does need to be dealt with. BMW finally realized that their Bosch made units suck and fail far too often and did a recall on them. I bet will see a recall sooner rather than later.
How did your repair go last week? Was it the HP fuel pump again?

#7 ·
RNOX said:
The gas in the oil is a safety issue and the fuel will contaminate the oil.
I agree! It is a big safety issue. I can't believe there has not been a bunch of engine fires. The oil I took out at 1000 miles is going into my tiki torches this summer ;D

#9 ·
bballr4567 said:
Goes in tomorrow. We couldnt get it scheduled to fit our time schedule.
Cool. Good luck and keep us posted

#12 ·
if no gas in oil, pour 1/2 seafoam in oil fill neck. run for about 100 miles over the course of 2-3 days then do a complete oil/filter change. my 2011 nox runs smoother now than new. imo sludge is building up near the position sensors and giving a false shaft position reading. seafoam will break down the sludge and thoroughly clean the engine.

#12 ·
I had this issue on mine after 140,000 miles. The check engine light would come on and go off intermittently as well. Pulled the oil dipstick and oil smelled of gas. Did a little research and there is a mechanical high pressure fuel pump that the seal goes bad and allows gas to enter into the engine oil. This causes the run on. You don't want to continue to drive like this as the gas is breaking down the oil and is probably damaging your engine. It seems like an easy enough fix but could not find a specific "how to" on it so took it to a friend with a little more experience. It it is only a couple of lines and bolts to remove but you have to get a cam tool to rotate the engine and reset the cam so the tool is all the way in before inserting the fuel pump. Also, put in cheap oil and ran for 100 miles and drained and replaced with my normal Mobil 1. Runs like a champ now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.