GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
EquinoxTN said:
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize my Equinox had a pre-alarm. Is that a beep or something that tells you to turn on the ignition before the horn sounds and the lights start flashing?
I have absolutely no idea. "pre-alarm" is what the other member said. I don't have a flat key (nor will I get one), so hope someone can answer this?
Or perhaps try locking the vehicle with the driver's window down. Then manually unlock the driver's door and open it? Perhaps the same "pre-alarm"?

And I should share - I often manually lock my doors by pushing down the post at the top of the door panel (I don't lock using the remote fob). And I think locking manually this way does not set the vehicle alarm in the same way locking with the fob does?
Perhaps when using the flat key, the doors should be manually locked so they can be unlocked with the key without triggering the "pre-alarm"? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I want a door key only too. We just got back from Daytona Beach and I like to keep a spare key on me just to unlock the doors so that I can go in the water, etc. and not worry about leaving my keys "hidden" while I'm in the water. On my Saturn, I'd just leave the remote in the car, lock the doors, and take the key with me. Open the door when I needed back in the car and then disarm the alarm.

I don't even want the chip to start the car. I just want a key to get in the door. I went to the dealer and all they could offer me was a blank from a truck, but still had the chip and it was quite expensive, like $60 if I remember. The parts guy did say that if I find a blank somewhere else, he'd cut it for me since we have laser cut keys.

I might just end up getting a blank off eBay and getting it cut. I THINK I can program it myself with the tool I got for my TPMS sensor relearn... It says it's for the TPMS sensors and to reprogram keys... If it doesn't work, no loss either, because I just want one to unlock the door.

Anyone got part numbers to blanks that will work?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chas said:
I have absolutely no idea. "pre-alarm" is what the other member said. I don't have a flat key (nor will I get one), so hope someone can answer this?
Or perhaps try locking the vehicle with the driver's window down. Then manually unlock the driver's door and open it? Perhaps the same "pre-alarm"?

And I should share - I often manually lock my doors by pushing down the post at the top of the door panel (I don't lock using the remote fob). And I think locking manually this way does not set the vehicle alarm in the same way locking with the fob does?
Perhaps when using the flat key, the doors should be manually locked so they can be unlocked with the key without triggering the "pre-alarm"? :shrug:
I tried to educate myself a little on the security system on my Equinox and find out what the pre-alarm is all about. Other Nox owners probably know this but here is what I found.

First I locked the vehicle using the fob. Then using the key in the door lock, I opened the door, laid the fob on the workbench and got in the vehicle. When I closed the door the red light at the base of the windshield came on solid for about 5-10 seconds and then started slowly flashing. As long as I was sitting in the vehicle nothing else happened. I sat in there for about 15 minutes.

When I opened the door to get out the horn started beeping slightly and lights started flashing. I guess I was in pre-alarm mode at this point. After about 10 seconds the horn started beeping really loud. Once I put the key in the ignition and started the car, the alarm stopped and everything was back to normal.

I also found that when I use the key to lock the driver's door all four doors lock. That's good.

So... assuming the Camaro key will start the Equinox without the fob, and the Camaro key is small enough, the Camaro key is what I want. Can anyone post a photo of the Camaro key and the part number that I would need to work with my 2012 Equinox?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Re:

Awesome. Have you tried locking your Nox by pressing down the post on the door? This will also lock all other doors. Then see if this will arm the alarm?
I'd have to check mine again, but I don't think my dash red LED will blink when I lock this way?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just tried locking the doors by pushing down the post on the door. It did lock all four doors and set the alarm just as locking the door with the key did. The red LED on the dash came on solid for a few seconds and then started flashing.

Back to my previous post... I'm still trying to understand the logic of being able to get into the vehicle using just the key without setting the alarm off but not being able to get back out without setting off the alarm?? I guess it doesn't really matter if I could buy a Camaro key that will allow me to open the door and start the engine without the alarm going off. I hope someone will post the correct key that I need.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Sorry I haven't been able to reply sooner.
Regarding the Camaro flat keys. . . They do work to both open, start, and unlock the Equinox. I haven't checked about the "pre-alarm" issue and did not notice any warning. I can check it later and edit or rplynregarding that.

The Camaro flat keys, or any laser cut key of this type, must be then programmed for the car to accept them. But, the dealer can order them pre-cut using the Camaro flat part number WITH your Equinox/Terrain vehicle specific key code. The Camaro keys need to be ordered as a pair , I was told, in order for the keys to be gotten pre-cut to your Equinox/Terrain.

I had my dealer order them when our Equinox arrived at the dealer. The keys arrived and were ready to use in two days when I took delivery of our 2015 Equinox. I have this info in a thread here on the forum somewhere but am on my tablet know and is difficult to navigate. If you search my posts back in January/Feb you might find it. It and a few others have the part number and other info regarding the flat key. Also, a few other members posted this. Search for "flat key".

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 2014+ trucks have these keys that you can buy separately.

Part number 24209422 for the coded key meaning you need the key code for your car and the key will come in pre-cut
$43.86 per key

Or 23209427 will come as a blank and you will have to have your old key traced (which not a lot of places have laser key cutting machines)
$52.63 per key for some reason. Normally they're cheaper uncut but GM is so inconsistent.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd haven't played around with my Nox, but in previous GM cars you'd get into trouble if you lock the car twice with the FOB, then unlock the door with the key. I wasn't aware that the Equinox had such an anti-theft system in place. I might save some insurance money if I mention that I have a "car alarm" ;)

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,808 Posts
Would these keys work with my 2011?

Set off the **** alarm TWICE this weekend while cooking: leaned up against lip of counter and remote button was depressed!! This has happened at least 2-3 times before, too.

I used to get so irked by people's car alarms going off. Now I'm a little more understanding.

·
Registered
211 Posts
fsanti87 said:
The 2014+ trucks have these keys that you can buy separately.

Part number 24209422 for the coded key meaning you need the key code for your car and the key will come in pre-cut
$43.86 per key

Or 23209427 will come as a blank and you will have to have your old key traced (which not a lot of places have laser key cutting machines)
$52.63 per key for some reason. Normally they're cheaper uncut but GM is so inconsistent.
I can't find these keys anywhere on the internet.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
* * * Camaro "flat keys" will work in the Equinox and Terrain. . .

For anyone interested, we just purchased our 2015 Equinox LTZ in January and requested the dealer to order two pre-cut Camaro "regular flat" keys. The parts departments can order them out using your Equinox or Terrain key code. Make sure you order a PAIR since that is cheaper and I think the only way the parts department can order them pre-cut with your key code. Ask for a dealer discount since you are asking for safety reasons. They may get you a set for half price. Normally, the Camaro type "flat key" is about $75.

Also, some dealers can order blanks and have a laser machine to cut them. This is pretty new so a lot of dealers do not have the machines yet.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
* * * Camaro "flat keys" will work in the Equinox and Terrain. . .

For anyone interested, we just purchased our 2015 Equinox LTZ in January and requested the dealer to order two pre-cut Camaro "regular flat" keys. The parts departments can order them out using your Equinox or Terrain key code. Make sure you order a PAIR since that is cheaper and I think the only way the parts department can order them pre-cut with your key code. Ask for a dealer discount since you are asking for safety reasons. They may get you a set for half price. Normally, the Camaro type "flat key" is about $75.

Also, some dealers can order blanks and have a laser machine to cut them. This is pretty new so a lot of dealers do not have the machines yet.

Do want!

Note to other people, go straight to the parts department. I asked my service manager about this twice, and he couldn't find anyway to order it. I'm going to ask the parts department about it. I'd love to ditch my bulky FOB.

·
Registered
211 Posts
agmsuv said:
Don't waste your time going to the parts department and pay $75.00 for a key unless you have deep pockets when you can buy them online for half the price.
Here is just a sample

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XGM23209427.TRS0&_nkw=GM23209427&_sacat=0 :)
Once you get that key who can program and cut it for you? I happened to be in the vicinity of a locksmith today so I stopped in. I asked them if they could order or make a Camaro flat key for my Equinox and they told me it wasn't possible. I hope the GM parts department can do it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those keys are just like any other pk3 key so you can program it easily yourself.

This was copy/pasted from the camaro key recall

1.1. Using OE key, turn the ignition to “run” (not necessary for engine to start). Wait until tachometer security light turns off. Turn the ignition to “off” and remove the OE key
1.2. Within 10 seconds, insert the new ignition key and start the vehicle. Turn the key off and remove from ignition.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
The programming method listed above should work and it is certainly worth the try.

The biggest issue, though, is getting a flat key cut to your particular key code. Buying a blank requires finding a vendor who can accurately laser cut the grove to your EXACT key code.

You may be able to find and buy a key blank, but no guarantee of having it work which equals money and time wasted.

You can get a pair of the keys ordered from many GM parts departments at a discount rate if you shop around and just ask. Some GM dealers may even sell it online. Will it only be $34? No. . .. but the keys will work and save you a lot of time, headaches, and possible wasted money on a $34 key that does not work.

So, gamble $34 and try and find a lock smith to cut it for how much? And will it work?

Or, order a GM Camaro flat key at a GM parts supplier with your key code. YOu must have your original GM key code which the dealer can look up for you by VIN number or if you have the original stikers that came with your keys you can use that.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Buggsy said:
Do want!

Note to other people, go straight to the parts department. I asked my service manager about this twice, and he couldn't find anyway to order it. I'm going to ask the parts department about it. I'd love to ditch my bulky FOB.
Just make sure you ask for the PAIR of Camaro flat keys. I was told that is the only way they can order them pre cut using your own key code.

There is a separate part number for the PAIR of pre cut flat keys, unless they now can order individual pre cut keys.

Many of us won;t think twice about spending $100 or more on some gadget or widget to customize our rides. But balk at $100 for a pair of high tech keys.
$22K to $35K is spent on the vehicle and even $100 for some peace of mind and a working set of spare keys is a good investment.

I wanted a pair incase wife or I lost the FOB. With the flat key I can at least open, start, and lock the car. Also, if one of use snaps the swithc blade key off the FOB, we can now attach the flat key to the FOB and use it like previous remote FOBs and separate key.

·
Registered
281 Posts
23257727 is for the pair of keys that you will need the key code to have cut before the keys come in

23257735 is for the pair of keys that come in blank and will have to be traced off your current keys

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
fsanti87 said:
23257727 is for the pair of keys that you will need the key code to have cut before the keys come in

Here is a link to a Camaro pdf including GM part numbers for both the "coded" or precut and "uncoded" part numbers for the flat keys.

Part Number
Description
Quantity/Vehicle
Key Assembly Kit (Coded)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CDUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov%2Facms%2Fcs%2Fjaxrs%2Fdownload%2Fdoc%2FUCM460444%2FRCRIT-14V346-6700P.pdf&ei=7kEkVeeROpL_yQSZ4IDQDw&usg=AFQjCNG8mRSa8B2vMD8wvQ6zY43-WiAv-Q&sig2=dtgRjJDnSDX0xfIbXhFEFQ

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just finished my spare key project today and I'm only out $16.99!

Found this blank on eBay and made an offer of $16.99 for the blank and it was accepted:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/161658120285

Went to the Chevy dealer that had the machine to cut it, and since there were no codes to retrieve, copied the key for me as a complimentary service.

Got home and used this YouTube video to program the key:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bUI1WxB3Xy0

To test, I turned on the alarm with the key fob and went and put my keys in the house. Came back out, newly cut key unlocked door, the car went into "pre-alarm" mode with some intermittent honks, and then when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to start, all went back to normal and even went on a short drive to make sure the security light didn't come on and/or disable the ignition.

I'm happy!

Attachments

21 - 40 of 46 Posts