GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get or make a key for a '11 Equinox that would only be used to open
the driver's door? Sometimes I don't want to carry the entire key fob. What I'd like
to do is lock the key fob in the vehicle. Then carry this 'mini' key with me so that
I could open the door when I return to the vehicle. I don't want to carry the entire
fob because of the possibility of loss or damage.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Off the top of my head... No.
Your fob has to be present to start the car, so to open the door would set off the alarm, I think. Also, you could not do anything else, but open teh door..... so I see no need - Just keep the fob/key in your pocket... Maybe I'm missing something :shrug:

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
this will be a big drawback- when I get a Nox.

I do alot of running.... my present GM's, Ill go somewhere--- remove key and interlace it with my shoelaces.
The fob- I place somewhere in the car. I then hit the lock button on the door and close the door--- go on my run.

with these giant fob/key combo-- id have to hold the darn thing the entire way....
when I say entire way- it may be a 3 miler- or a 20 miler.
Or a run up a mountain- holding a key wont cut it. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
Can't stand the FOB. It's too big and bulky ... plus the stupid button keeps ejecting the blade in my pants pocket.

Feel like just ripping the blade off the FOB and attaching it to my keyring ... and leave the car's alarm unarmed.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Im guessing if that is too big you dont carry a phone, but if you did you could just have OnStar open the doors for you :eek:

I have to believe there is one of those wallet credit card like things for the absent minded, unless they are just pushing OnStar now that cell phones are so rampant.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
That's right - I don't carry a phone (I'm not that important), but even if I did - it wouldn't be on a keychain in my pocket.

On a keychain, these FOBs are just too big. My '97 Taurus didn't come with one, so no problem there. My '02 Impala came with one but I never carried it. But with this thing, I've got no choice ... which is something I absolutely cannot stand.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
randyw57 said:
Is it possible to get or make a key for a '11 Equinox that would only be used to open
the driver's door? Sometimes I don't want to carry the entire key fob. What I'd like
to do is lock the key fob in the vehicle. Then carry this 'mini' key with me so that
I could open the door when I return to the vehicle. I don't want to carry the entire
fob because of the possibility of loss or damage.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!
I would be happy to look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle. Please feel free to contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd invest in a goot magnetic key box and hide it under the car with the FOB in it.
I have a feeling that without the FOB part -- the car will not start. All the electronics to ID teh key to YOUR car is in there

I do find the pop out key a bit of a bore when it pops out on its own. As far as teh actual FOB its the smallest of all I have! The old FOBS were too big....(wide)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I know that you can in fact start the nox without the battery present i the fob. Not sure if it will set off the alarm when you unlock it without the battery in the fob

·
Registered
977 Posts
I would like a cut key just to get in the vehilce if I locked my keys in by accident. Saturn gave you a metal key that had no end and was attached to a piece of viynal that was just for this purpose.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
3,852 Posts
RNOX:

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about!

Barn07:

That's interesting. So I really only need MY FOB to set the alarm. So if I don't arm the alarm, I should be able to open the door and start the car without the alarm going off, no?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For the equinox 2013
You can buy a transponder key & remove the Blade. It will unlock the door & set of the alarm. Then start the car with a key fob you have hidden in the car to silence the alarm. Do not put the blade in the ignition or the alarm will sound & you cannot remove the blade. Then Just wait for the cops

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
BobBergman said:
For the equinox 2013
You can buy a transponder key & remove the Blade. It will unlock the door & set of the alarm. Then start the car with a key fob you have hidden in the car to silence the alarm. Do not put the blade in the ignition or the alarm will sound & you cannot remove the blade. Then Just wait for the cops
This must be an April Fool. . .
First, this thread is almost 4 years old.
Next, you can order a Camaro flat key (regular old style key) from your dealer using your Equinox/Terrain key code and it won't set off the alarm and work like a regular key.

·
Registered
56 Posts
^^^ I was going to suggest the Camaro key and Jay beat me to it. Nice job.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wanna say the 2014+ trucks come with a standalone key from the factory too. So the options are definitely there

·
Registered
211 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
This must be an April Fool. . .
First, this thread is almost 4 years old.
Next, you can order a Camaro flat key (regular old style key) from your dealer using your Equinox/Terrain key code and it won't set off the alarm and work like a regular key.
I'm kinda dense... Are you saying the Camaro key can replace the Nox fob and start the car or are you talking about just using it to get the door open?

I hope you are saying to can replace the fob. I hate having to carry the switch blade fob around.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If you get your key put into the flat camaro-style key holder you would still need to carry the (now keyless) fob around for remote locking, etc.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There's an old thread in here where a member explained he got flat Camaro keys cut for his Theta. He did not need the fob for opening and starting the vehicle. When the vehicle was unlocked by the key, the pre-alarm would go off until the ignition was turned over. :shrug:
But obviously, you'll need the fob for remote functions.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize my Equinox had a pre-alarm. Is that a beep or something that tells you to turn on the ignition before the horn sounds and the lights start flashing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will you still be carrying your phone with you?? ...You can just unlock the doors with the OnStar app and even start the car with the ac on to cool off when you get it. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts