GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest complaint with the Equinox is the key fob. It is virtually impossible to press the buttons with gloves on, and here in the Northeast, we need gloves in the winter. I always have to remove my glove to lock or unlock, or remote start the vehicle. And these are not thick gloves either. Is there an after-market replacement available?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Trailblazer, you are absolutely right, I've been saying the same thing since I bought my '10 Terrain. Most everyone else here don't seem to mind that. My aftermarket remote had slightly raised buttons and gave a beep as feedback to let you know you pressed a button. Now it's hit or miss, a few times when I got out to my car, it haden't started...bummer. I also didn't like having to press 2 buttons either, but have gotten use to it.

I let my thunbnail grow just a little bit so I could press those little depressed buttons. ;D

I've always had aftermarket remotes, but each new car was harder to make them work. From posts here it seems like it's really hard to do it to the Terrain/Nox. That's why I opted for the factory unit.....way less headaches.

Why not just start it before you leave the building and not worry about taking your gloves off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always start it before I leave the building using the Android OnStar app (which is absolutely great, with feedback when the vehicle starts). However ,when I get to the 'Nox, I still have to unlock the door. And I need two presses to unlock the back doors so I can put my laptop, etc. in the back. Off comes the glove to do that. All my other Chevys have factory key fobs and I dont have a problem with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
Trailblazer said:
I always start it before I leave the building using the Android OnStar app (which is absolutely great, with feedback when the vehicle starts). However ,when I get to the 'Nox, I still have to unlock the door. And I need two presses to unlock the back doors so I can put my laptop, etc. in the back. Off comes the glove to do that. All my other Chevys have factory key fobs and I dont have a problem with them.
You can change the door lock configuration so that one press unlocks all of the doors. That may help a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
We got down to 25* the other night and I still did not need gloves so I have no idea what you all are Complaining about.
Shoot I even washed the Terrain today by hand.
:p :p :p :p
I guess I have really hot hands, they do not seem to get cold.
Then again I have problems with my messed up right thumb pushing the buttons as it is and have to use my left hand most of the time

Trailblazer
Does the Android OnStar app not have the option to unlock the doors?
And like Black Granite LTZ said you can change it so that it unlocks all the doors with 1 push of the remote
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Z_Ghost said:
We got down to 25* the other night and I still did not need gloves so I have no idea what you all are Complaining about.[/color]
Shoot I even washed the Terrain today by hand.
:p :p :p :p
I guess I have really hot hands, they do not seem to get cold.
Then again I have problems with my messed up right thumb pushing the buttons as it is and have to use my left hand most of the time

Trailblazer
Does the Android OnStar app not have the option to unlock the doors?
And like Black Granite LTZ said you can change it so that it unlocks all the doors with 1 push of the remote
25 for a low?
That's a heat wave around here!
Our low is 6 and feels like 0 Fahrenheit.
Put air in the tires of 2 vehicles today and thought I had frostbite on my fingers.
;D :eek: 8)
But honestly, the fob is not that bad that we've noticed.
A little LED to show you're actually pressing a button would be a nice visual but then again, you could redesign the whole thing and turn on your wipers if you really wanted to.
:eek: ::) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
Yes, a light would be great or even a little click as feedback.
My wife and I have a disagreement about the unlocking of the doors. I say press the button once to open the drivers door and 2 pushes to unlock all doors, that way you're not always actuating all the locks all the time, but she's stubbern and wants to open all the doors with one push.
I'll never understand the mind of a woman. ;D

How does everyone else do it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
GARYD said:
Yes, a light would be great or even a little click as feedback.
My wife and I have a disagreement about the unlocking of the doors. I say press the button once to open the drivers door and 2 pushes to unlock all doors, that way you're not always actuating all the locks all the time, but she's stubbern and wants to open all the doors with one push.
I'll never understand the mind of a woman. ;D

How does everyone else do it?
I listen to my wife...So I can do it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
GARYD said:
Yes, a light would be great or even a little click as feedback.
My wife and I have a disagreement about the unlocking of the doors. I say press the button once to open the drivers door and 2 pushes to unlock all doors, that way you're not always actuating all the locks all the time, but she's stubbern and wants to open all the doors with one push.
I'll never understand the mind of a woman. ;D

How does everyone else do it?
[/color]
I gave up trying a long time ago, you know, men are from Mars and women are from Venus type of thing...
:eek: ;D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Agree with OP - the key fobs could use a redesign with some raised buttons.

I always have my gloves on when walking outside to the car and always take one off to unlock the doors. Annoying and cold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
The key fob is one thing about these vehicles that seems more like an afterthought than ergonomic engineering. Beyond the things already mentioned...the thing is simply thicker/bulkier than it needs to be even with the switchblade mechanism.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I've noticed that VW uses the exact same design, with the "switchblade" key and all. And I agree, the key fob buttons are poorly designed for operation by feel alone. The unlock has a tiny bump that helps a little, but with gloves on you can forget it. And good luck trying to find the lock button without looking. My Mazda's fob is far better in this regard...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Agree on all points on the FOB, even w/o gloves I am still looking to find where everything is. My spin off question is where is the valet key? I got only two Fob keys, which Chevy calls something fancy. But I need a key to hide under the car if I go for a backpacking trip, bike ride, etc and don't want to rely on onstar all the time or carry the key fob with me for days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
I don't think there is one. No mention in the owner's manual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
There is no valet key but you could see if someone could cut a blank key for you. I'm not up to speed on these fancy keys so I don't know how many are capable of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
378 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
There is no valet key but you could see if someone could cut a blank key for you. I'm not up to speed on these fancy keys so I don't know how many are capable of it.
I think someone said if you try to unlock door with manual key and start the car the security system isn't disengaged and can't - anyone can confirm? I will try this myself as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
equinox2 said:
I think someone said if you try to unlock door with manual key and start the car the security system isn't disengaged and can't - anyone can confirm? I will try this myself as well.
But couldn't you open the door with the manual key, get into the car where your real key is, then start the car with that? Just so you don't have to carry or hide the giant real key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts
I've only done it twice so far and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I open the door with the key after starting the car with the remote, the alarm goes off. No problems opening with the remote.

When I bought a Chevy Silverado back in the 90's, I received an emergency key that was in a credit card size piece of plastic that you punched out to use. Never tried it, but often wondered how a piece of plastic that thin would open a door lock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Had the same on a chrysler in the early 90s - used it a few times and it worked quite well. I was always pretty easy on it when using it in the door lock so as not to snap it off, but never had a problem. Ignition one was less of a concern as you turned the lock cylinder, you didn't apply pressure directly on the key after it was inserted.

GARYD said:
I've only done it twice so far and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when I open the door with the key after starting the car with the remote, the alarm goes off. No problems opening with the remote.

When I bought a Chevy Silverado back in the 90's, I received an emergency key that was in a credit card size piece of plastic that you punched out to use. Never tried it, but often wondered how a piece of plastic that thin would open a door lock.
 

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L
Joined
·
3,814 Posts
I'd rather not carry the FOB at all! It's too big! A simple key is fine for me, but I called the dealer to inquire about one and they said there's no such thing.

I'll tell ya - first FOB that breaks gets converted to a standard key.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top