GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would imagine that would be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty on a car that new. I would take it back to the dealership and let them deal with it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow! A brand new vehicle / FOB and the battery already dead? Are you sure it's the battery? Does your second FOB work?

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Just got a 2018 equinox. What do I do when battery goes bad on key fob?
Let's see,,, replace it ??? Cheaper to do it yourself then to drive to a dealer and go through all of the trouble. IMHO

·
Registered
166 Posts
Let's see,,, replace it ??? Cheaper to do it yourself then to drive to a dealer and go through all of the trouble. IMHO
I guess that is a good point. My dealer is so close that it would not be an issue, but yeah, I wouldn't want to drive an hour to replace a battery lol.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Batt

Sorry.... mislead y'all I guess. Battery is fine. Just wondering if and when it dies. By the way, would would be normal life expectancy? Thanks

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Sorry.... mislead y'all I guess. Battery is fine. Just wondering if and when it dies. By the way, would would be normal life expectancy? Thanks

Pretty much depends how much you use it.
I bought my 2014 Equinox in Nov. of 2013, battery still good.
It get's used on remote start, liftgate, etc.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Seven years out of mine, and still fine. But, I do not use it all that much.

·
Super Moderator
381 Posts
I've never had to replace a battery in a key fob on any vehicle I've ever owned. AFAIK, they pretty much last forever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I generally replace my FOB batteries every year, just to be on the safe side. The #2032 batteries come in a double pack and only cost a few $'s. Then again, they're a commonly used battery and available at ANY drug / grocery store.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
2010 Traverse...
put in to service July 2009..... still on the original fob- and original battery. 130,600 miles.

I remote start vehicle at least 2 times a day..... very pleased with these.

My 2003 Trailblazer- I replaced battery 13 yrs later.

CR-2032s are expensive by themselves..... then I found a nice big pack-- at IKEA of all places. thats when I replaced the Trailblazers.

But on the Nox... have not had to look at this fob yet.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It was almost 7 years before I had to change the battery in the fob of my last GM. You just pop the cover off and put in a new battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts