GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to have the two front windows tinted today and on an impulse also tinted the windshield. It is not legal of course but you don't even know if it is there. I got the max light transmissibility type for the windshield. What a difference it made. Driving around in Texas sun today with outside around 78F and still do not have to turn on the AC with all the windows closed. I can not roll down the window for another week anyway.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Pictures are a requirement when posting modifications

If you don't post pictures...it just DIDN'T happen...LOL

Just kidding of course...but really...please?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will post pics when I snap them. I just got back from tinting. I took them 3.5 hrs to do the two windows and windshield. It is pricey though!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I tinted the front windows and I love it....looks so much better.

I didn't even think on tinting the windshield nor have I ever seen it done haha...but I guess up here in Canada it isn't much of a big deal like down in Texas haha

·
Registered
139 Posts
im not sure the percentage but its just before illegal here in canada. Looks great and keeps peeping eyes out haha

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I didn't think that any tinting shop that wanted to keep operating would be willing to do that since it's illegal in all 50 states. ??? Did they put their little logo at the bottom corner of the windshield? When I had my front windows done I noticed a tiny sticker a the bottom of each window with the shop name and phone #....I guess if a cop ever notices and tries to give you a ticket you can claim that it was reccomended by the shop and they told you it was legal. ;D

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
KFUDGE88 said:
im not sure the percentage but its just before illegal here in canada. Looks great and keeps peeping eyes out haha
Make no mistake - any tint of any % on the front side windows or windshield is illegal here in the Great White North, DOT regulations. Always at RCMP or City Police discretion of course.

The main issue is not only the darkness of tint for RCMP to see inside safely on a traffic stop (for the obvious safety reason of the Officer) but from a EMT's point of view - that plastic tint material is so terribly strong to break through when its adhered to the glass, that's the last thing they want to encounter at the seen of an accident.
[/color]

·
Registered
139 Posts
OnxBear said:
Make no mistake - any tint of any % on the front side windows or windshield is illegal here in the Great White North, DOT regulations. Always at RCMP or City Police discretion of course.

The main issue is not only the darkness of tint for RCMP to see inside safely on a traffic stop (for the obvious safety reason of the Officer) but from a EMT's point of view - that plastic tint material is so terribly strong to break through when its adhered to the glass, that's the last thing they want to encounter at the seen of an accident.
[/color]
Fortunately for me not in Ontario. You are allowed up to a certain percentage aslong as it does not obstruct visibility. Now thats not to say about all the other provinces as BC for example allows no tinting on front windows and many provinces follow suit.

Oh an I know a local cop who let me know before I tinted although he said they rarely ever give tickets for tinting unless whoever they pull over is being a jackass and they are just finding was to give them citations haha

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
OnxBear said:
[/color]
As a former medic, tinted cars were WAY easier to deal with than non tinted because of tempered glass. With the tint the glass shards stick together rather than going everywhere.

Tinted windshields are a god send in Texas. As long as you dont make it too dark its worth every penny to not have that extra strain on your eyes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
bballr4567 said:
As a former medic, tinted cars were WAY easier to deal with than non tinted because of tempered glass. With the tint the glass shards stick together rather than going everywhere.

Tinted windshields are a god send in Texas. As long as you dont make it too dark its worth every penny to not have that extra strain on your eyes.
We carry duct tape on all our engines for the purpose of taking out windows....just make an "X" on the window with a little pull tab sticking out. Then, a simple window punch is used and the glass comes right out.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The Nox has the Acoustic (Laminted) glass for the Winshiled and the front passenger and driver door windows are laminated. The rear windows and the rear hatch are plain old tempered

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the 75% on my windshield. You can not tell it is there because it is so light when compare to the side windows. 3M has one with 90% which is almost as normal glass. The shop does not have it at the time. It has to be special ordered. The 3M is very expensive $400 for just the windshield. Driving at night is also better I think because it reduces glare. The shop puts their logo on the side windows but not the windshield. If I have another new car, I will do it again may be with the 3M. It is the best thing against the sun for the car down here.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think a $10 pair of sunglasses ($150 prescription glasses in my case) is way cheaper then tinting the windshield or side windows. :D

On the 10 o'clock news (Chicago)a couple nights ago ran a segment on tinted windows. It seams that Chicago cops are ticketing cars with heavy tint on the front side windows (windshields will get you shot--just kidding), even though the state says they are OK. Chicago says home rule allows them to override the state laws. And with the city being almost bankrupt...that's another money maker.
If I was a cop, I don't think I'd want tinted windows anywhere on a car.
I lived in Temple, Tx. for 5 years, never had a problem with the heat in my cars. I either kept the windows open a crack or just turned on the air a couple minutes early. I also used one of those windshield sunscreens and still do to this day here in Chicago during the summer....they make a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is the picture. Took it in the garage. I did the tint for my wife. She has problem with dark sun spot on her skin with prolong exposure to sun light. she has to drive East and West everyday so the sun is directly in her face. It is almost like medical necessity. The heat benefit is just secondary.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
That looks really good...not nearly as dark as I perceived it would be

·
Registered
149 Posts
Agreed....looks perfect! Would do it for myself but I believe I heard something around $400.....a bit steep for me right now having just bought our 'Nox last week. Maybe someday....

·
Registered
978 Posts
KD123 said:
Here is the picture. Took it in the garage.

Love the hanging yellow foam ball !!!

I use one also to know when the front and rear of the vehicle is correct to close the garage door and leave front gap for walk arounds...

2 thumbs up !

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I'm too cheap for either one. I lay a 2 x 4 across the floor. I make a line where it goes in case it ever moves. ;D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts