GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I needed to purchase another family vehicle and I purchased a Terrain off the dealers lot today. There was only one unsold Terrain at the dealer (it just came in a few days ago) and it was just about impossible to locate another one that was anywhere near what I wanted. I bought a 2SLT grey with black leather interior. It is a color combination I could live with and it had the power liftgate that my wife wanted. The Terrain had a few options I would not have ordered (V6 engine, 19" chrome wheels, sunroof and trailer hitch), but If I wanted to receive the federal sales tax deduction I had to purchase it before years end (dealer said it would take 6-8 weeks to order a vehicle). Also, I have purchased alot of cars from this dealer and he sold me the vehicle at invoice cost (32,900 vs a sticker price of 34,995). I also received the 1,000 conquest rebate, 500 rebate for not taking the 60 day satisfaction guaranty, and 1600 in GM points. Between the rebates, dealer discount, and federal sales tax credit I more than paid for the options I did not need and my kids will like these options when I pass the car down to them.

Does anyone have actual fuel economy results for the V6 engine with AWD? Also does anyone have any feedback for ride quality with the 19" wheels?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!

I can't comment on the 19's, but I can on the fuel economy. Just got back from another 1100km trip to visit family for Christmas, and averaged 11.2L/100km (about 20.5 MPG) on the highway, with an average speed of 94 km/h ( about 57 MPH).

With city driving the numbers are usually closer to 12L/100km or worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
20.5 for highway driving is pretty thirsty. My wifes 6 cyl Buick Rainier that is being replaced (giving it to my daughter) gets close to that economy on the highway, and my GMC Sierra (V-8 with cylinder deactivation) gets about 21 MPG on the highway if you take it easy. I will post my mileage after my first trip.

Do you like the 6 Cyl and did you get a chance to compare it to a 4cyl.

·
Registered
89 Posts
sactruck said:
20.5 for highway driving is pretty thirsty. My wifes 6 cyl Buick Rainier that is being replaced (giving it to my daughter) gets close to that economy on the highway, and my GMC Sierra (V-8 with cylinder deactivation) gets about 21 MPG on the highway if you take it easy. I will post my mileage after my first trip.

Do you like the 6 Cyl and did you get a chance to compare it to a 4cyl.
Yeh, I agree that it is pretty thirsty. We're disappointed with the fuel economy, but I guess it's to be expected.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is the gallon trick that everyone's pulling now. Instead of using US Gallons (3.78 Liters), everyone's using Imperial Gallons (4.54 Liters), so cars now "magically" get 20% better fuel economy. They all say 45MPG** and then in small print (**Miles per imperial Gallon). So if you're counting on Miles Per Gallon and you're not aware of this, your car instantly takes a 20% hit.

The V6 AWD Terrain is rated for 23/34/27 (City/Highway/Combined) in Miles per IMPERIAL Gallon. That means in the real-world at the pumps (which is US Gallons) it's rated at 18.4/27/21.6. And you never get quite what the ratings say (although the EPA has cleaned up their act in this department, the figures aren't wildly inflated anymore).

Us Canucks don't have to worry about this because it's always L/100KM's ;D. Funny yanks and your gallons and miles! 8)

But seriously though 20.5MPG (US) highway on a V6AWD isn't totally out to lunch. A tad low but nothing to be too concerned with. It's worth it to check up with the dealership to see if they ever get ECU updates. A friend of mine had the last-gen equinox and got absolutely horrid economy out of the 3.4 from the dealership. He came back, complained, and they re-flashed the ECU and he suddenly started to get more normal economy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Where is this trick being pulled, in Canada? I've certainly never seen it in the U.S.

I have learned that any MPG figures from the UK are Imperial gallons.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've noticed it all over Canada, yes. I don't live in the states so I can't necessarily comment, but I do get a lot of American TV on my Satellite and they seem to do the same. But this is something fairly new in Canada and the US I think.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Trip home for Christmas from MD to OH via the PA TP I got 25.5, way home I got 26.8. The dash said 27.1 and 27.7. I use the remote start almost every time and let it warm up and I don't think the computer takes that in its calculations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up the Terrain yesterday afternoon. I read the owners manual and configured the settings for my wife. So far I am impressed with the vehicle. I particularily like the electric lift gate and the blue tooth. I am willing to bet my wife likes it better than her Rainier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
scottyyyc said:
One thing to keep in mind is the gallon trick that everyone's pulling now. Instead of using US Gallons (3.78 Liters), everyone's using Imperial Gallons (4.54 Liters), so cars now "magically" get 20% better fuel economy. They all say 45MPG** and then in small print (**Miles per imperial Gallon). So if you're counting on Miles Per Gallon and you're not aware of this, your car instantly takes a 20% hit.

The V6 AWD Terrain is rated for 23/34/27 (City/Highway/Combined) in Miles per IMPERIAL Gallon. That means in the real-world at the pumps (which is US Gallons) it's rated at 18.4/27/21.6. And you never get quite what the ratings say (although the EPA has cleaned up their act in this department, the figures aren't wildly inflated anymore).

Us Canucks don't have to worry about this because it's always L/100KM's ;D. Funny yanks and your gallons and miles! 8)

But seriously though 20.5MPG (US) highway on a V6AWD isn't totally out to lunch. A tad low but nothing to be too concerned with. It's worth it to check up with the dealership to see if they ever get ECU updates. A friend of mine had the last-gen equinox and got absolutely horrid economy out of the 3.4 from the dealership. He came back, complained, and they re-flashed the ECU and he suddenly started to get more normal economy.
The EPA does not use imperial gallons. There are options to change measurements to Gals/100 miles and L/100 miles but the numbers below are standard MPG as used in the United States.

From the EPA site (http://www.fueleconomy.gov) here are the ratings:

Front Wheel Drive:
GMC Terrain FWD 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular .... 22 / 32 / 27 (city/highway/combined)
GMC Terrain FWD 6 cyl, 3 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular .... 17 / 25 / 21

All Wheel Drive:
GMC Terrain AWD 4 cyl, 2.4 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular .... 20 / 29 / 25
GMC Terrain AWD 6 cyl, 3 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular .... 17 / 24 / 21

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
scottyyyc said:

The V6 AWD Terrain is rated for 23/34/27 (City/Highway/Combined) in Miles per IMPERIAL Gallon. That means in the real-world at the pumps (which is US Gallons) it's rated at 18.4/27/21.6. And you never get quite what the ratings say[/color] (although the EPA has cleaned up their act in this department, the figures aren't wildly inflated anymore).

After briefly checking our average consumption a few times while driving, I'd say the numbers highlighted above are close to what we're getting on our AWD V-6.
Next time I take her out, I'll make a note to copy what's been logged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
A while back the U.S. EPA lowered it's m.p.g. numbers so they would be more realistic with your driving. The Canadian EPA did not change their ratings. So for any Canadians you can take the U.S. number and add 20% and you will be fairly close to what you will achieve in real world driving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts