GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of 18" Terrain wheels and tires on E-bay. They are a new set of takeoffs that were replaced with aftermarket wheels and tires before the Terrain was picked up. I wanted 18" wheels and Michelin tires since they get better reviews for driving in snow/ice than the tires that came on the 19" chrome wheels that came on my vehicle. I haven't decided if I will sell my 19" wheels and tires or use them in the summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you purchase your terrain off the lot and it just happened to have the 19" tires or did you order those and then change your mind? Do you (or does anyone else) know why you have to have the 3.0L engine if you get the 19" chrome tires?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the SLT 2 Terrain off the lot since it was the only one available at the dealership and they could not locate any other Terrains that met my requirements better than the one they had (I also could not locate an Equinox). I wanted to purchase the vehicle before years end to take advantage of the sales tax credit ($700 savings). The Terrain had 3 options I would not have ordered (trailer package, V6 engine, and chrome wheeels), but I saved enough on this vehicle that it made it worthwile (dealer sold it at invoice for a $1500 savings off of the sticker price, $700 sales tax credit savings, $1000 conquest rebate, $500 for not taking 60 day satisfaction guarantee, 1600 in GM rebate points). If I ordered a vehicle all of the savings would not be available and there is a good chance that GM will raise the price of the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We took delivery with 19" wheels and tires and expected a harsh ride but it seems OK. Did you have to change the computer settings or is the tire combo the same outside diamater as the new ones? Im thinking of selling the 19's and getting Cragar SS in the spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a difference between the diameters of the 18" and 19" tire/wheels. If you look at the mechanical specs for the Terrain you will see that the 19" wheel vehicles have a different axle ratio to compensate for the larger diameter. Using a tire calculator (you can find them using a google search), switching from the 19" to the 18" setup will result in the speedometer reading 58 MPH when the vechicle is actually traveling at 60 MPH.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts