GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes just passed 5000km and our 2010 I4 is going tomorrow to GM.
Will see what they say :mad:
The smell is so bad.When I took it out for a drive (my wife told me about the smell) and parked in the garage.The doors had to stay open to air out the garage.

The Cat smells :mad:

10-11km per 100km mileage is what we have averaged to date.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i recently started noticing that with mine too. initially i thought it was related to external exhaust gasses hanging around in traffic from the cold temps, but it is definitely a "cat b gone" kinda smell.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Sounds like sulfer in the gas. Some brands have more then others. I thought they've cleaned that up. I haven't smelled it in a long time.

Taken from Popular Mechanics website, Article Titled: Car Smells:
(5) SMELLS LIKE: ROTTEN EGGS
WHEN: Any time your engine is running.
THE CULPRIT: Hydrogen sulfide in the exhaust, which is produced by trace amounts of sulfur in gasoline. It's supposed to be converted to sulfur dioxide in your catalytic converter. This may be indicative of a fuel-injection problem, and can be cured by a sharp mechanic. But often it means a failed catalytic converter. The bad news: A new cat is expensive. The good news is it's probably covered under warranty. Check with your dealer.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Sounds like a 'Cat' is gone for sure.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Results
chk for Bulletins none
updates none

BUT there is a calibration for detonation coming out in mid to late DEC/10,that may take care of this.

This is what the paper work says.The smell continues on ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts
If it is the catalytic converter it's covered under the emissions warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles. Whichever comes first.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts