GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
tagging for reference
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I gave the Dealership that bulletin number. he was clueless.. it would be nice to have the actual bulletin to take in to the dealership. anyway of linking or pasting that bulletin here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Im asking about what the bulletin says. ;)

My bad, I didnt specify.
Don't know. Something about bad MPG's with a failing aux fuel pump and fuel in the crankcase. He told me that he was not suppose to give me the number and he would deny giving it to me if it came up. So I am going to have a hard time getting my hands on it. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
I still think I smell gas in my oil. Oil level checks high too. As in up on the stem of the dip stick. My car is in the shop to have an OnStar problem looked out so I brought it up. Guess I'll see what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
My Aux fuel pump and lines are in. It goes into the dealer tomorrow morning for the install. I am going to push them into a compression check on all of the cylinders also. It was not a good thing for my engine to be broken in with factory oil so sheared down with fuel. A ring job might be in my future if the compession is bad. :( hopefully they can get it running the way it should. Today it was averaging 22 mpg going 55 mph on level ground with a 10 mph tailwind :( Not good at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
Ok I got it fixed today. I notice some better MPGs going 55-60 but my MPGs going 70 are about the same. I will give it a few tanks to get some manual numbers. I just changed the oil 400 miles ago and they did find fuel in the oil today :(
Hopefully it is fixed. The compression numbers are 200 psi in all four cylinders so no ring damage at least ;)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
Will be watching for further reports...hope all goes well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Thanks for the fireman. I'll need it when I go in Thursday with ours. Last tank of fuel went through very fast. DIC said 27.8 and manual calculation pulled down a 23. Exact same thing happened last time. I wish I had a code reader to see if there is a hidden code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
They are there to notify the techs that something is up but they arent "serious" enough for it to trip the SES/SVS lights. Apparently, the P0172 doesnt trip the PCM to throw the warning lights. Ours had hte p0172 DTC set and we had no light either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
They are there to notify the techs that something is up but they arent "serious" enough for it to trip the SES/SVS lights. Apparently, the P0172 doesnt trip the PCM to throw the warning lights. Ours had hte p0172 DTC set and we had no light either.
Never had a light go on with our terrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Thanks for the fireman. I'll need it when I go in Thursday with ours. Last tank of fuel went through very fast. DIC said 27.8 and manual calculation pulled down a 23. Exact same thing happened last time. I wish I had a code reader to see if there is a hidden code.
Sounds like these pumps leak fuel into the crank after the engine is shut off. The pressure drops as fuel leaks past the HP pump shaft seal and into the crankcase. That would account for your DIC reading high. It wasn't taking account for the fuel leaking into the crankcase. They will fix you up. seems like a common problem. #4 so far this month for my dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
fireman591 said:
Sounds like these pumps leak fuel into the crank after the engine is shut off. The pressure drops as fuel leaks past the HP pump shaft seal and into the crankcase. That would account for your DIC reading high. It wasn't taking account for the fuel leaking into the crankcase. They will fix you up. seems like a common problem. #4 so far this month for my dealer.
We bought a 2011 NOX LT AWD about 7 weeks ago. It had about 300 Miles on it as it came up to NH from CT and I'm sure people did some demo drives on it while it was down at the CT dealer. I had the dealer change the oil before we took delivery. In good faith, I believe they did as promised. The car had about 3K mikes now. My wife drives it I drive the Equinox only on rare occasion preferring my wife’s old Mazda.

Today was the first time I bothered to look at all the plastic under the hood. Checked the oil.
It smells raunchy, but not really fuel soaked. Oil is really dirty after 3000 Miles. I usually let all the other cars oil go 6K -10K miles or more depending on the vehicle and never have a problem with sludge or engine wear. I use top quality PAO group 4 oils like Mobil 1, RP etc. However the oil in the NOX more dirty and smelly as the 10K oil in my old truck.

I am disappointed with the fuel mileage of the Eqinox. It is nowhere close to EPA rating. Driving real gentle rural & interstate highway gets 20-22 MPG. Trying to hypermile makes little difference. Considering my 03 Cobra capable of 600HP gets same or better mileage in summer driving, while averaging about 15 MPH faster than the NOX is driven, something is not right.
I realize cold weather takes its toll on mileage and the Cobra is a bit more aerodynamic and weights about 100 Lbs less than the NOX, but a 4.6L Whippled SC 32V V8 should not beat a 4 cylinder DI high compression motor in efficiency and MPG.

The DIC readout matches calculated mileage more or less, so I am not suspecting fuel leak after shut down base on the DIC reading, but I noticed that the oil level was almost ½ quart high.
Fuel leakage could account for the high level.
Typically what is everyone else getting for MPG? Any comments on the oil level and dirt? AM I trying to invent a problem to explain the crappy fuel mileage?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
mike69440 said:
We bought a 2011 NOX LT AWD about 7 weeks ago. It had about 300 Miles on it as it came up to NH from CT and I'm sure people did some demo drives on it while it was down at the CT dealer. I had the dealer change the oil before we took delivery. In good faith, I believe they did as promised. The car had about 3K mikes now. My wife drives it I drive the Equinox only on rare occasion preferring my wife’s old Mazda.

Today was the first time I bothered to look at all the plastic under the hood. Checked the oil.
It smells raunchy, but not really fuel soaked. Oil is really dirty after 3000 Miles. I usually let all the other cars oil go 6K -10K miles or more depending on the vehicle and never have a problem with sludge or engine wear. I use top quality PAO group 4 oils like Mobil 1, RP etc. However the oil in the NOX more dirty and smelly as the 10K oil in my old truck.

I am disappointed with the fuel mileage of the Eqinox. It is nowhere close to EPA rating. Driving real gentle rural & interstate highway gets 20-22 MPG. Trying to hypermile makes little difference. Considering my 03 Cobra capable of 600HP gets same or better mileage in summer driving, while averaging about 15 MPH faster than the NOX is driven, something is not right.
I realize cold weather takes its toll on mileage and the Cobra is a bit more aerodynamic and weights about 100 Lbs less than the NOX, but a 4.6L Whippled SC 32V V8 should not beat a 4 cylinder DI high compression motor in efficiency and MPG.

The DIC readout matches calculated mileage more or less, so I am not suspecting fuel leak after shut down base on the DIC reading, but I noticed that the oil level was almost ½ quart high.
Fuel leakage could account for the high level.
Typically what is everyone else getting for MPG? Any comments on the oil level and dirt? AM I trying to invent a problem to explain the crappy fuel mileage?
Get that thing into the dealer asap. Those numbers are way to low and your levels have gone up in the crankcase. Don't wait. Fuel is a bad lubricant.
I just wish GM would put out a recall and check everyones codes and oil just to be on the safe side. Lots cheaper than replacing or rebuilding an engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
I had mine in the other day for OnStar issue. They said they didn't smell the fuel, but failed to look at or explain my elevated crankcase levels. The will be looking again when return to get my OnStar module replaced.

How strong was the fuel smell for you? How high up on the dipstick has your oil level got? For sure the entire plastic end is coated with oil when I checked it this morning. It looks to me like my level is up and beyond the plastic end as well. It's wet with oil, but not like on the plastic. Oil doesn't seem to cling to the stem as well.
 
41 - 60 of 514 Posts
Top