GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

501 - 514 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
sidebite252 said:
What abou Seafoam? (don't shoot me, it's just a question and I'm curious) I've never used this product but I see guys doing this on the G8 forum. Talk about smoking out the neighborhood WOW. Will it work too?
I used Seafoam in my other 06 and never got smoke that others have claimed. Perhaps was due to using Tier 1 gasoline and did not use it until I had around 60,000 miles. It has 120,000+ on it right now and will use the Techron this or next week as mentioned before.

My iPad 4th Gen

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Im an easy driver---
but every now and then- on an onramp and empty freeway- from about 20-- I will floor the gas pedal-- and let the engine revv up to the 6000 range- once I get up to about 80-- I back off..
slow down then floor it again. I repeat this a few times.

·
Registered
191 Posts
teetertotter said:
I used Seafoam in my other 06 and never got smoke that others have claimed. Perhaps was due to using Tier 1 gasoline and did not use it until I had around 60,000 miles. It has 120,000+ on it right now and will use the Techron this or next week as mentioned before.

My iPad 4th Gen
Just for clarification purposes, this isn't when you add it to the tank. This is when you suck it into the intake. Even then it doesn't make clouds like trans fluid does.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
odlidrocket said:
New to the forum here-
Have a 2010 4cyl equinox, and about to weeks ago had a chackengine light/and another warning come on the screen. Took the car to autozone,and their computer read cylinder 3 problem-I'm no mechanic so I tried fuel injector cleaner x 2 fillups/replaced spark plug on cylinder 3.
Light was on and off a few weeks-
And you could feel rough idling when sitting at lights.
Today my wife said the car stalled/then whgen restarted it ran on and wouldn't turn off
Took it to a local independant shop who found gas in the oil
My wife was looking on her smartphone and found that this is a common problem
Took it to chevy dealer who says that fuel pump failure caused fuel in oil and timing chain failure.
Anyway....how can I be sre there is no piston/ring prolems or future problems caused by this problem. I have read about checking the piston compression which souds helpfull. abut what other engine problems might occur bcause of the improper lubrication?
Keep me posted on your progress with the dealer. If you feel that you need additional assistance, do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The only people I know that uses Seafoam are Harley riders when they store their bike for the winter instead of StaBil. I wouldn't use it for daily driving. I've been using Techron in my cars and bikes for over 15 years 2 or 3 times a year.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
GARYD said:
The only people I know that uses Seafoam are Harley riders when they store their bike for the winter instead of StaBil. I wouldn't use it for daily driving. I've been using Techron in my cars and bikes for over 15 years 2 or 3 times a year.
This is my kind of thinking.

·
Registered
850 Posts
To funny, I think everyone is blowing smoke. :confused: One thing though, I hope those with fuel problems get it all rectified with their dealers. The dealer I have been going to for 5 years have had experienced Techs.....so far. I had several issues with my 07, first year Acadia, all were made good without having to go back.
There are 2 other dealers within half hour drive in 2 different towns.

Side Note:
My son in laws business is in producing metal hinges. He made hinges for some GM vehicles for a couple years 6 years ago. After 90 Days w/o receiving payments and continuing to have to call, he told them he was going to hold all future shipments until all invoices were paid. GM paid right away and a few months later they went back to their old supplier in Milwaukee, that originally had quality issues and HIGHER pricing with hinges not their primary business. GM hinges only represented 10 percent of my son in laws business and did not need them.
There will always be problems with some car owners concerning quality parts going into their vehicle. One wonders how many times a GM buyer will find a supplier with a cheaper price or a new one that hasn't a clue.

My iPad 4th Gen

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The problem is most car companies want to tell suppliers what they will pay. The problem many times they will not pay enough to make the supplier any money. It is a real game between them. It is also why there are parts on many car not as good as they could be at times.

Yes even the imports have the same issues.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I remember in high school auto shop some idiots would just dump as much as they could in as a prank to smoke out the shop. It was enough to get the admin over to see if we were on fire. What a mess it made. It often would leave a film of oil on everything.

You were only to put so much in but many would just have old cars and just dump it in either not caring or knowing what they were doing.

I think the teacher was sorry he told us about the trick.

·
Registered
850 Posts
hyperv6 said:
I remember in high school auto shop some idiots would just dump as much as they could in as a prank to smoke out the shop.
Did that get rid of all the gasoline in the oil too??? :help:

My MacBook Pro

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Well like Bryan said it is for removing carbon from the chamber most times. In rare cases where rings are carboned up it migh help them break lose and help a oil burning or gas in oil issues.
But that was rare.

Most times for gas to get into oil it always was a fuel pump failing or a carb bleeding over and they needed to be addressed.

Today the only car I have seen much carbon in the rings was a Cadillac Northstar. Many Cadillac owners would putt around town and carbon would build on the rings leading to burning oil. The fix was to pull it down in gear and take it up to 80 MPH several time letting it rev out. This is how I fixed the inlaws Caddy. The N star needs to rev and some owners just never turned the RPM.

501 - 514 of 514 Posts