GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 1000kms on the new terrain and just noticed the dreaded fuel in the oil. Did alot of reding on this and was wondering what i should do. Wait for more kms to be put on terrain or is there something they can do to rectify this? So far i am getting about 13 to 14 mpg in the city which is terrible but like i said i only have 1000k on it. Just seems quite low. Would the fuel in oil have anything to do with this? I noticed when started in the cold there is a black spot in the driveway where the exhaust is. Is this normal? Sorry for all the questions but like i said i did a search and read all i could but did not really find any answers just that it was happening to alot of people.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Fuel diluting the oil is never a good thing...for gas mileage or otherwise. I'm sure the service manager at your dealership would have no choice but to agree with this.. ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Like I hinted at in my first post...you should take it in to the dealership service department asap. If you can tell there is fuel in the oil then a trained mechanic surely will. If they try to tell you that it's normal or nothing to worry about then take it to another dealership and avoid that one forever..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just talked to the dealership and it is going in first thing in the morning. Will keep you posted on what they figure out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
goofygames said:
Just talked to the dealership and it is going in first thing in the morning. Will keep you posted on what they figure out.
Let me know what they say. I have the same issue and they want me to bring it back at 8000 miles. I will say the situation has been better with each oil change. I have been in contact with the GMC district rep for the last month. According to them they are aware of a problem but still can't track it down. Some have had success with an ECM update at cold start up and some have had fuel pumps swapped out due to issues. I am waiting on a forum member from down state to let me know what dealer did his ECM update. All the dealers near my area are not aware of any update.
Good luck and post up what you find out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Don B said:
You guys that are finding gas in your oil, is it real obvious? Are you going by sight or smell or both?
Yes the odor of my first oil change was as bad as dumping fuel on the garage floor. The oil was sheared down to the point of black water. It also ignighted with no problem what so ever.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You'd definitely smell it on the dipstick. Another post mentioned a computer reflash that adjusts the injection quantity, especially when cold.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
goofygames,

I will be sending you a private messge shortly for more information.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
If you have info on this can you not post it for all to see?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I do not have any specific information at this time. However if you are experiencing this issue, it may be helpful to send me a private message so that I may be able to get an idea of the scope of the concern. If you do decide to contact me, please include that you saw this post on this thread as well as your full name, number, address, VIN, and current mileage. This information will help to me to assist you. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
365 Posts
tsduke said:
If you have info on this can you not post it for all to see?
If GM openly posted that they have a problem with the I4 getting fuel in the oil they would be forced into a recall. It is better for them to handle it on a one on one basis and keep it hush hush ;D Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have been reading all these post with some curiosity. My Terrain seems to be running great, but the gas mileage is less that I had hoped for. This past weekend, I checked the oil and smelled the dipstick. I swear I could smell a little fuel, not much, but I could smell something...not just oil. I just hope that I wasn't getting some form of paranoia.

I took my Terrain in yesterday for the seat belt recall and a 75-day courtesy inspection. Anyways, I brought the oil issue up with the service department when I dropped off the car, also mentioning sub-par gas mileage. They asked if the car had been running rough...it had not. They checked for codes and found none, they also did not find any contamination in the oil. They did change the oil at no charge to me and requested that I return in 30 days to have them inspect again.

I did ask about ECM reprogramming for cold start and auxiliary fuel pump issues and was met with a blank stare...again I hope I am just paranoid.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just checked my oil and I do smell the gas too..7000 miles on her. curious to see what they come up with. Im getting oil change in next couple days too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
jstpsntym said:
I have been reading all these post with some curiosity. My Terrain seems to be running great, but the gas mileage is less that I had hoped for. This past weekend, I checked the oil and smelled the dipstick. I swear I could smell a little fuel, not much, but I could smell something...not just oil. I just hope that I wasn't getting some form of paranoia.

I took my Terrain in yesterday for the seat belt recall and a 75-day courtesy inspection. Anyways, I brought the oil issue up with the service department when I dropped off the car, also mentioning sub-par gas mileage. They asked if the car had been running rough...it had not. They checked for codes and found none, they also did not find any contamination in the oil. They did change the oil at no charge to me and requested that I return in 30 days to have them inspect again.

I did ask about ECM reprogramming for cold start and auxiliary fuel pump issues and was met with a blank stare...again I hope I am just paranoid.
I got the blank stare also from all the dealers up here. I find it funny that GM can't get the ECM updates out to the entire network of dealers or at least come out with a service bulletin. Like I posted before, I have a feeling GM wants to handle this on a case by case basis because fuel in the oil is a major safety issue. It would prompt a major recall of all terrains with or without issues. I am in a holding pattern via the dealer and GM's advice to bring it back when I hit 8000 miles. I am three months away from that so hopefully Uncle Sam will step in and push a recall for this issue. I know it is not a big deal for the owners with no fuel in their oil but for the owners with this problem it is a serious safety issue. good luck and keep us posted on what they do for you in the future. :)

1 - 20 of 514 Posts