GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have to use all that Dexos1 bull crap, just letting you guys know who has not changed their oil yet (my first change was last week)

I ended up using Mobil 1, Extended Performance 5W-30 with a K&N oil filter from Amazon...if people are worried "Oh!! but Dexos is not stuck on the bottle!!" Don't worry about it, Mobil 1 surpasses Dexos standards. Walmart bottles of Mobil 1 Extended Performance actually had the Dexos label on them, but not on the regular Mobil 1 Synthetic...hmmm marketing ploy? I think so!! You could use the regular Mobil 1, but I like the added protection, considering it was only $4ish more then reg Mobil 1

If you don't want to spend the money on a K&N filter, I'd go with a Wix filter. Stay away from Fram and Bosch...they're garbage...or get the OEM one if you want to. My dealership put in my Mobil 1 Oil in my Terrain no questions asked, and they told me "It's better then the oil we use anyways" lol

Just a heads up (and she runs amazing now, better then she did with the original oil in it)

·
Registered
482 Posts
Not that it would happen again,,,,,,,but a co-worker just yesterday had a K&N oil filter fail, spewing oil all over the place. Weld broke or something.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't have your dealer do an oil change. I have found them make so many mistakes. Best if you do on your own

·
Registered
116 Posts
USFwrestler said:
Well we have to use all that Dexos1 bull crap, just letting you guys know who has not changed their oil yet (my first change was last week)

I ended up using Mobil 1, Extended Performance 5W-30 with a K&N oil filter from Amazon...if people are worried "Oh!! but Dexos is not stuck on the bottle!!" Don't worry about it, Mobil 1 surpasses Dexos standards. Walmart bottles of Mobil 1 Extended Performance actually had the Dexos label on them, but not on the regular Mobil 1 Synthetic..[/color].hmmm marketing ploy? I think so!! You could use the regular Mobil 1, but I like the added protection, considering it was only $4ish more then reg Mobil 1

If you don't want to spend the money on a K&N filter, I'd go with a Wix filter. Stay away from Fram and Bosch...they're garbage...or get the OEM one if you want to. My dealership put in my Mobil 1 Oil in my Terrain no questions asked, and they told me "It's better then the oil we use anyways" lol

Just a heads up (and she runs amazing now, better then she did with the original oil in it)
The bottle of regular Mobil 1 syn. I bought at Walmart today had the Dexos label on it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
More of a stocking issue that labeling. They ordered the EP oil and it came with the new label.

The regular M-1 was old stock; it will be replaced with the new label as the old bottles are sold.

No change in formula-just a new label.

·
Registered
978 Posts
dwendt44 said:
No change in formula-just a new label.
That is indeed correct...you don't need to spend the extra $ on E.P.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I understand you don't need to spend the extra money on EP, but since it was like 4-5 bucks, it really didn't bother me. Walmart had it on sale

plus I like to pamper my cars, I'm a sucker.

Owning a sports car previously, buying better oil goes a long way in how the car runs. Granted this doesn't have 440hp like my previous, but a engine is a engine

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mobil 1 5.5 quarts and a Mobil 1 filter is on sale at Advanced Auto Parts this month for $32.00; been using both for years. Considering how hard the I-4 DI is on oil I plan on changing mine at 1,000 (100 miles to go) and every 5,000 miles (or twice a year) after-------------cheap insurance.
I haven't ever taken any of my vehicles to the dealer for oil change or tire rotation----you just don't know what your going to end up with because the low man on the totem pole usually does this type of stuff and most of them could give a sh**.
I take mine to Sam's every 7,500 for tire rotation and balance---------about $15.00 and you can stand there and watch thru the glass window.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
43sbest said:
I take mine to Sam's every 7,500 for tire rotation and balance---------about $15.00 and you can stand there and watch thru the glass window.
That's cheap. Just curious, do you find that tires really require to be balanced after the initial balance. I have never found a need to rebalance them, but maybe they go out of balance slowly, so I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RIT333 said:
That's cheap. Just curious, do you find that tires really require to be balanced after the initial balance. I have never found a need to rebalance them, but maybe they go out of balance slowly, so I don't even notice it.

Yes usually one or two of them have to be balanced.
I have been taking all of my vehicles to Sam's for years to have the tires rotated and balanced; I change the oil but no way am I going to attempt to rotate the tires.
My guess it would be hard to find a place to even rotate them for $15.00.
A lot of folks don't bother rotating and balancing the tires but it's worth it in the long run IMHO. Our 2008 Enclave is 3 1/2 years old and has around 26,000 mile on the OEM Michelin's. They had 10/32 of tread new; same as the Michelin's on the Terrain. Last time I had them rotated they still had almost 7/32 of tread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
What i do is i go to my local Discount Tire and pay them for lifetime balance and rotation and road hazard warranty. They basically charge me same for this as if they sold me the tires. It is just too much trouble to rotate myself and usually saves me few bucks from what dealer would charge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts