GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I changed the oil yesterday in our Terrain. It was at 2476 miles and the OLM was at 71% left.

Guys, all I can say, is get that factory fill out of there FAST and get a proper oil filter in there. Ours was "crushed" and a couple of the pleats were torn. The oil was also VERY, VERY, VERY dark and I could smell fuel in it. I wish I had a oil kit to send it off but I dont and I couldnt save any of it.

My advice, get a great synthetic in there immediately.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No problems here..Getting it changed..5000miles..58% left..If it ain't broke..why fix it...

·
Registered
830 Posts
4 cyl engines gets dirty faster as they rev higher than a 6 cyl

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nitti48 said:
No problems here..Getting it changed..5000miles..58% left..If it ain't broke..why fix it...
How do you know its not broke? ;)

SuperMat64 said:
Not true. If that was they would be cleaner because they are forcing more air through the engine. Plus, IIRC they have exactly the same redline.

Fact is, the DI technology gets the oil washed with fuel because its a mist/vapor instead of a mixture of air and fuel on FI engines.

Also, our 09 Malibu LTZ with the Ecotec was NEVER this bad and we did around 8k mile oil change intervals on it.

I was just amazed at how crappy the oil filter was. It was also a brand Ive never heard of. Hetco.

·
Registered
830 Posts
bballr4567 said:
How do you know its not broke? ;)
Not true. If that was they would be cleaner because they are forcing more air through the engine. Plus, IIRC they have exactly the same redline.

Fact is, the DI technology gets the oil washed with fuel because its a mist/vapor instead of a mixture of air and fuel on FI engines.

Also, our 09 Malibu LTZ with the Ecotec was NEVER this bad and we did around 8k mile oil change intervals on it.

I was just amazed at how crappy the oil filter was. It was also a brand Ive never heard of. Hetco.
Yes it is, because more revs means more movement so more friction = more dirt in the oil.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SuperMat64 said:
Yes it is, because more revs means more movement so more friction = more dirt in the oil.
Not really. If there is more dirt in the engine it means the air filter is not working. ;)

You could say that the V6 has more surface area if you are going to keep up that argument. lol

Regardless, guys if you are waiting on your first oil change, DONT. That is my advice.

FWIW, Pepboys has a GREAT special going on now. 5 Qts of Pennzoil Platinum and a Purolater filter for $26.99. Plus, if you buy it before the 20th, you get a $5 mail in rebate offer as well.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
If that's syn oil, that's a good deal.
I am an Amsoil dealer (in name only-I don't resell-I use a lot of oil so I get the dealer discount). I also have oil analisys kits. If you can, I would highly suggest getting a test done. Then you will know FOR SURE how your oil is holding up.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Penn. Platinum is some of the best syn. oil you can get for the price right now. They changed their additive package around late 2008-early 2009 IIRC and a lot of guys are really happy with it.

Ive been reading on some UOAs of the 3.6 DI engines and it eats up the oil in most applications so I just figured Id get out the factory fill and put in good syn oil. Next oil change I will be sending it out for an oil analysis.

·
Registered
315 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Well, I changed the oil yesterday in our Terrain. It was at 2476 miles and the OLM was at 71% left.

Guys, all I can say, is get that factory fill out of there FAST and get a proper oil filter in there. Ours was "crushed" and a couple of the pleats were torn. The oil was also VERY, VERY, VERY dark and I could smell fuel in it. I wish I had a oil kit to send it off but I dont and I couldnt save any of it.

Common issue with all DI engines....Oil will not change what happens.

I was running PP due to cleaning package, switched on this one to Ultra because it has twice the cleaning package of PP.

But for the price its hard to beat PP....not sure if the roughly 10.00 extra is worth Ultra...But Ultra has the nicest VOA I've seen of any oil for cleaning agents.

·
Registered
315 Posts
bballr4567 said:
I avoid AC Delco filters now because of this....Most are made in China crap, and no longer manufactured by Champion Labs (or too hard to find a good one)

SuperMat64 said:
::)

·
Registered
11 Posts
If/when I get my Equinox, I will make sure to check the dipstick periodically.

I havent changed my oil in 5 years, but I might start again, considering that I am downsizing and I can probably save a few pennies doing it myself.

And to comment about the 4cyl creating dirtier oil than a V6...I am sure the larger volume of the V6 is offset by the smaller (usually) volume of oil that the 4cyl has. I am sure there are plenty of variables to consider in this debate like tuning, design of the engine, displacement, etc. But never underestimate the fact that it couldve been a defective filter.

·
Registered
698 Posts
djjr50 said:
I havent changed my oil in 5 years
Wow! That oil must be REALLY dirty!!!

Sorry... couldn't resist.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
In my opinion Wix makes the best filters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Terrain said:
Wow! That oil must be REALLY dirty!!!

Sorry... couldn't resist.
Umm, yeah...I set myself up for that one! Let the docket officially read: "Its been 5 years since I have changed the oil in my vehicle myself."

·
Registered
111 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Was this your very first oil change? Why would if come with a Hetco filter instead of an AC Delco?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:

Guys, all I can say, is get that factory fill out of there FAST and get a proper oil filter in there. Ours was "crushed" and a couple of the pleats were torn. The oil was also VERY, VERY, VERY dark and I could smell fuel in it[/color]. I wish I had a oil kit to send it off but I dont and I couldnt save any of it.

I complained of gas smell when I was checking the dipstick before oil change at I think 6800 km, if memory serves.
Service Manager said no worries.
Switched to Castrol Synthetic oil, but prolly regular filter.
Any recommendations for filter next oil change?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
redlight_005 said:
Was this your very first oil change? Why would if come with a Hetco filter instead of an AC Delco?
Yes, that is a very good question.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It was the FIRST oil change. It CAME with a Hetco filter. It was JUNK after 2400 miles. Almost half the media was collapsed on itself and was just crappy material all around.

I went with Purolater because of the deal with the PP but of all the filters at Pepboys, the AC Delco looked to be the cheapestily (made that up, lol) made.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:
It was the FIRST oil change. It CAME with a Hetco filter. It was JUNK after 2400 miles. Almost have the media was collapsed on itself and was just crappy material all around.

I went with Purolater because of the deal with the PP but of all the filters at Pepboys, the AC Delco looked to be the cheapestily (made that up, lol) made.
Will definitely have to ask what the dealer uses next change and see if they offer a better filter.
We wouldn't want the cheapestly made one on our Terrain!
;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Come on guys!!!!! With a 5 year/50k miles warranty on these engines, I can't believe GM would put inferior oil filters in these cars. Warranty claims for poor filtering resulting in engine damage would far out weigh a few pennies more for a decent oil filter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts