GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

First 500 miles, what do you do?

• Do Not drive in the freeway

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drive like you normally drive anything.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason for my paranoia is this so-called "break-in period" you guys are all talking about.
I've leased cars all my life, other than my first car, which was used. So I know nothing about break-in thing.
When I bought it, car already had 100 miles from dealership. The first drive home, I went home with cruise (20 miles) at 65mph. Now I'm reading that I should not be going at constant speed over long period of time (i think i was on cruise for like 30-40 mins).

After reading the forum, I now feel like I just destroyed my car's future. So today, I went on a little trip, to the mountain, where there's lots of twists and turns, uphill, and downhill, allowing me to vary speed constantly from 20mph to 50mph. But going back home, I had to take the freeway again and did the constant 60-65mph again but no cruise this time. Although I did try to vary going from 55-65 (is this good or bad?)

I now have 250 miles, already approaching 500 miles and I think I'm screwing it up. I don't even know how to properly do engine warm ups, it's already hot these days as it's summer now, I just warm it up for 2-3 mins. All things I read in the forum, it seems like people are pros and experts at this. I don't want to destroy my new car before it even hit a week old.

I been checking the instant mpg and I think my average is like 18-23 on the hwy. If I knew better, I think it might even be less than that. And this is when I been light-pedaling and driving like I'm on egg shells. So this is slightly concerning but I am taking the word that it just takes time. I just don't want to be one of those guys on here that says even after break-in period, they are getting like 20'ish mpg on hwy.

Please help, what can you guys advise me?

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
As far as MPG, what engine/drivetrain do you have ?

I followed the break-in exactly as GM specified, and have had no problems with my vehicle, but I think I was just "lucky". There is a detailed description in the owners manual of the procedure. Personally, I thought that it was difficult, but if I had problems further down the road, I didn't want to think - wonder if not following the procedure is what caused the problems.

Just my $0.02 You will find arguments both ways.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am sure you didn't hurt anything, enjoy your new vehicle. In the old days, the rumor was that if you did an extended trip (several hundred miles) on the highway with a brand new engine, that the rings wouldn't seat and it would burn oil it's entire life. With the tolerences of today's engines, I wouldn't worry.

I do agree with breaking it in like you are on egg shells, and not exceeding 65-70MPH.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tend to go with ------- Drive it like you stole it.. >:D.. Has not hurt over 9 new cars I have -- never had an issue.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I am in the same camp as Rick, I give it a good amount of spirited driving.

The important thing to realize is that it doesnt matter what speed the car is going, it is an engine speed thing. So even with cruise on at 65mph if you are in a hilly area then your engine will be going up and down in RPM anyway. If it was all flat, then you didnt help break in, but they do say it doesnt really need a break in. They are putting synthetic oil in it when breaking it in, so that already tells me they dont take it all that serious.

You can think of the break in period like the first couple times it runs, and you didnt even have in then. So it should already be broken down and you are wearing it in. As it wears it should feel more responsive and efficiency up a little.

If you haven't yet, give it a good amount of the gas pedal next time youre out, see what she can do. Like 75% pedal, WOT probably not a good idea, but get it going quick, even while youre cruising, give it some gas like youre passing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did another mini-trip this time with a reset on the avg. mpg meter and did some tests.
My first 2 hours, I went straight local for 50 miles and averaged 21 mpg.
Then on the return home, I reset the mpg meter again and went straight for the freeway.
I averaged 55 mph and surprisingly when I got home, avg read 33 mpg. This is just as advertised and I haven't even finished my break-in!
I'm loving this vehicle so far, it really is the most comfortable ride I ever had. My previous cars were bmw 325/rsx/oddysey/cube. None of them even come close to the feel and handle of this car. Interior is super. Think equinox is underrated by far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention that I turned off Eco mode this time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think during break-in, it's better to have Eco off to give your engine to run in all ranges. I heard with it on, it won't down shift as often, which for break-in, is not what you want?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't drive a new car like I stole it. I just take it easy for the first 1000 miles or so. The last new car I took on a "long trip" when it was new, with less that 1000 miles on the clock, the national speed limit was 55. I still have that car and it is 25 years old and has 135,000+ miles on it and I have had no engine issues with the car.

No drag race starts with the new car. The ECO just shifts the transmission at lower rpms and you want the engine to run at low rpm for economy without "lugging" the engine and the automatic should take care of that issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see here ppl fallowing the breaking-in period by the book and still have problems(direct injections ...) :thumbdown:....i tow my 2300 lbs hybrid camper after 1670km whit no problems it only depends if you plan on keeping your truck for long or not (more then 5 years)or if you care or not.. ...me i dont care.i never fallow break-in and nerver had problems...its up to you.
to me it depends more who assemble the engine if he had a good day or not... ;D im not saying drive the hell out of it...dont paranoid for it too...today its more a cumputer on gaz so whe will have more electronic problems more then engine like the direct injection, the electronic gaz control etc...its not like the OLD DAYS i respect ppl whit 25 0r 35 year old cars that still runs clean....i have a honda 1983 cx650e(its i bike) whit 66000km and still runs like new but its a engine on wheels not a cumputer on gaz.... just check plasma tv or lcd they or not going to last 25 years like the old tvs whe had before...

·
Registered
246 Posts
And I know people that have 15 year old cars with 300,000+ miles on them that drove them with a good amount of load to break them in. My Z28 of 13 years has 135000 miles on it, and its been driven hard all its life. Drive it like you stole it is just a phrase. Its not drag racing and its not WOT runs, you dont want to break a car you stole either ;D Thats why I do about 75% throttle a few times each time I drive it. The rings need to get worn by the cross hatch on the bores, before the cross hatch gets too worn or glazed over. Then the two can interface appropriately.

I am guessing that GM does an inital break in at the factory, have not been able to confirm that, but you dont even get it until theres like 100-200 miles on it, so cannot break it in how you want because its already been done for the most part. The first several miles or minutes and heat cycles being the most important.

·
Registered
60 Posts
These aren't the old days when basically the first fire up was after the engine was in the car. The rings had to seat while the owner had the car.

Engines now a days are already run in at the factory. They might not be totally broken in by the time you get the car but they do have some time on them.

Go to the Corvette plant and see what they do to every brand new Corvette that gets fired up. They drive it into a "dyno" and beat the crap out of it doing driving simulations.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rob -- you are not kidding about how the test cars on the line. I was at the plant where they make the Arcadia and the Enclave (and the Outlook when Saturn was still around). They would drive the car off the line for final test & Inspection. On the way (say at about 5 or so MPH) They'd throw the car into PARK!!! Then it went to drive, leak and hump testing...

·
Registered
216 Posts
jaequery said:
Forgot to mention that I turned off Eco mode this time.
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I think during break-in, it's better to have Eco off to give your engine to run in all ranges. I heard with it on, it won't down shift as often, which for break-in, is not what you want?
You stand corrected.
There's absolutely nothing in the owners manual in the "break-in" or "Eco Mode" sections that say you should not use Eco Mode during break-in. Makes no difference what so ever relating to break-in. My Terrain has been in Eco from about day one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the break-in such that you feel you may of damaged your vehicle already.

When we got our new Equinox I was able to put about 500 miles on it with varying speeds but then had to drive 2000 miles of highways and interstates. While I did use cruise control, I did try and change the cruise setting every 15-30 minutes. From 60 mph to 50 mph and anywhere in between. I also resisted the temptation of driving at 70 mph.

My personal thought is that the first 5000 miles of an engines life should be run on dino oil rather than synthetic if possible, since I truly believe synthetic lubricates better and doesn't promote break-in as well. JMO

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
If you are having concerns about break-in, I would recommend contacting your local dealership. They should be able to advise you more specificly. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
If you are having concerns about break-in, I would recommend contacting your local dealership. They should be able to advise you more specificly. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Yea, right. There the last place to pay attention to break-in procedures.

·
Registered
55 Posts
500 miles without cruise control.....then ANYTHING.

·
Registered
66 Posts
2011LT2 said:
...I am guessing that GM does an inital break in at the factory, have not been able to confirm that, but you dont even get it until theres like 100-200 miles on it, so cannot break it in how you want because its already been done for the most part. The first several miles or minutes and heat cycles being the most important.
Interesting. My vehicle had 30 miles listed at test drive (35 when finished) and 74 when I took delivery. I guess I should be a little more sensitive to break-in than someone who's vehicle already had 150 miles on it?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mine had 27 miles on it when I signed the papers. I really just drive it.... I have to confess I did not drive it for long periods in CC until I had 500+ miles on it..
:thumb:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts