GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting rid of Nox and going for a 2011/14 Ford Edge. There's a lot of pro's for making the switch.

Just looking for opinions on the Edge (unbiased if at all possible please)

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
Pretty unlikely to get unbiased opinions on a Ford product at a GM forum, but better than nothing.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I'm thinking about getting rid of Nox and going for a 2011/14 Ford Edge. There's a lot of pro's for making the switch.

Just looking for opinions on the Edge (unbiased if at all possible please)
I would use Google to check for a history of reliability as I do for any vehicle I intend to purchase.
Google> 20xx Ford Edge Problems

·
Registered
237 Posts
If the Ford Edge you are looking at has the 3.5L or 3.7L V6, be aware that the water pump in those is an absolute nightmare. Many people have found that when it needs to be replaced they simply junk the car. It is a $2500-$3000 job and many times costs more than the vehicle is worth. The engines use an internal water pump driven off of the timing system. When it goes bad, it is usually between 100K-150K miles. That alone would keep me away.

That being said, they are comfortable and ride nice. Headlights at night are not the best for visibility and the brakes are not super responsive. It is a nice sized vehicle.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have also heard the PTU tends to fail since it is located right next to the exhaust and easily overheats. Frequent fluid changes would be recommended.
I work on Ford parts and see how decisions are made... I no longer drive a current Ford vehicle!
Having said that, a co-worker has one with the turbo 4 in it and she loves the thing, go figure...

Reactions: Crypt_Thief

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I got rid of my 2014 Equinox 4 Cylinder, I test drove a Edge as I really thought I would like it. Did not like the handling or the visibility compared to the Equinox. I ended up purchasing a 2016 Equinox with v-6 instead. I also looked at Jeep. Did not want anything to do with the Dodge offering. Test drive the Edge yourself. I have a Ford F-150 so I am not a Ford hater. It is just that Ford has good vehicles and they have vehicles that the engineers should be shot. GM does too.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
In the Edge's defense, you are probably only hearing the horror stories, and not from people who have friends that are happy with the Edge...such as a friend of mine. He loves his Edge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My buddy's Edge is dead in the water from a water pump failure at 135k.
135k, that's about as good as a Toyota Camry. I don't really expect to keep a car that long. However, I would not buy an Edge unless I got a really good deal on a used sport and bought a warranty.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Hate to say it . . . but better off with a 2014 to 2016 Santa Fe Sport. If that is large enough for you.
My nephew has a 2017 Edge. Likes it ok . . . . it has not been problem free. Not sure what all there was. But several trips to the dealer and he feels gas mileage is not that great plus Premium Gas is strongly recommended by the service people and Ford. So more costly to drive.

Anymore these days. . . Do a lot of online research when buying a vehicle new or used.
Some years, engines, transmissions, electrical, tech equipment are good. . . . some years just a big headache.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My friend had a 1st generation Edge. She loved it despite numerous issues with the A/C, multiple check engine lights, and a few ignition coil replacements. She recently traded it for a new Subaru Crosstrek and still misses her Edge. She wanted a brand new Edge, but the prices were too high for her to consider.

I have recently thought about a new 2020 Edge SEL AWD myself, but that is only because the 3.5L V6 is gone and replaced with a much easier to maintain 2.0L EcoBoost 4cyl. The poor headlight performance. despite having LED headlights standard, is kind of a deal breaker. Plus, the rumor that Ford is killing the Edge in 2023. I keep a car 5-6 years and don't want to knowingly get in to a vehicle that will be discontinued for 1/2 the time I would end up owning it. Not to mention the effect that would have on the already high depreciation of Edges. Tons of discounts on the Edge right now, though, so that might offset depreciation later down the road.

There is always some sort of gamble with new vehicles. As JayTee said, try to do as much research as possible. Visit the owners forums, read reviews, long term tests, YouTube reviews, etc. Sure, it might result in some "paralysis by analysis", but if you can identify recurring themes it can help fine tune your expectations.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My neighbors have a flex with the 3.5 and it is beat up like crazy and still running (somehow) they never do any maintenance and just beat it up all the time. From what I have seen the edges seem to be good with the 3.5 almost too good.

·
Registered
578 Posts
2x on bad 3.5 water pumps. I had Sables and Taurus's for years and drove several of them to 200k miles. No more though due to the 11 hr. book repair time on water pumps in the 3.5 IF coolant doesn't kill the engine bearings.
No turbo anything either just like 4 bangers with timing belts of the past.
These groups are the best resource of common problems / issues in any brand. Research and patience is key to making the 2nd largest purchase most people will ever make. Keep emotions in check when it comes to vehicles unless your wallet is very fat.

Reactions: cusomano and RIT333

·
Registered
1 Posts
traded 2011 terrain 2.4, 140,000 miles, . ..using oil, popped a cat code(est. $1700)tires., had it since new . Cousins 13 nox 2.4 dropped dead aT 175K. got used 14 edge with 19k for 15k. ..Never will buy another gm until 5th year in production..have a 2015 nox which is a very good vehicle... i can see that going 200k miles. bought 14 edge 3.5 knowing potential problems...also knowing what maintenance to avoid those problems...similar highlander or terrain was $8000 more...do the math. With any vehicle it is all about maintenance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
135k, that's about as good as a Toyota Camry. I don't really expect to keep a car that long. However, I would not buy an Edge unless I got a really good deal on a used sport and bought a warranty.
I've got a 2015 Equinox V6 LTZ that just clicked over 23000 miles, mostly highway. I hope it lasts quite a while. That being said, I really have to hold back from buying a Flex LOL. Love those. BTW my daily driver is a 1996 Isuzu Oasis, AKA Honda Odyssey with just 94K on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts