GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) It's here, well at least delivered to the dealer today. Picking it up Tuesday.

2LT - V6 - AWD - Silver

First task will be to find places to mount antennas (HAM Stuff), well I'll probably read the manual first.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Congrats :)

You can find the manual online so you are ready when picking up ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like I'm going to put my old trunk-lip mount on the hood, probably on the right side for VHF/UHF. Not sure about the HF antennas yet, I'd like to put a permanent mount on the left rear fender, maybe one of the old style ball-mounts as I'm using ham-sticks. Took a good look at the auto-tuning Yaesu HF antenna today, but at $300, I don't use HF that much.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Can you please explain to me why you need this kind of equipment in your vehicle? What is it used for? I'm not being facetious... I haven't seen a vehicle with external antennas on it in many years.

How many antennas will end up being mounted on your Equinox as a result of all this?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm a DXer but not a Ham. I can understand wanting to go mobile but I would seriously consider just using a hand-held TX rather than mounting antennas on my new car. There are still a few people around my town who have Ham antennas on their cars. Very rare anymore though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Terrain said:
Can you please explain to me why you need this kind of equipment in your vehicle? What is it used for? I'm not being facetious... I haven't seen a vehicle with external antennas on it in many years.

How many antennas will end up being mounted on your Equinox as a result of all this?
I need external antennas to facilitate my hobby and for use in public service radio communications. There will be two of them. Think of it this way: if a volunteer fire fighter, in his personal vehicle, wants outstanding 2-way radio communication with the base station, then an external antenna is used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GMJay said:
I'm a DXer but not a Ham. I can understand wanting to go mobile but I would seriously consider just using a hand-held TX rather than mounting antennas on my new car. There are still a few people around my town who have Ham antennas on their cars. Very rare anymore though.
If you're not a ham operator, then it's difficult to understand why external antennas are much preferred. But think, why is there an external antenna to receive mega-watt am and fm commercial radio? Hams not only receive, but also transmit and we don't have mega-watts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts