GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....After 106 days of waiting, my husband and I finally picked up my new baby on Saturday!

It's a SLT1 in Cyber Metallic Grey we added the following options:

1) Power Sunroof - I am a sucker for sunroof's, ever since I had my first one, I just can't be without it!
2) Trailer Towing Package
3) Power Liftgate - WOW - This is such a nice and easy feature to work, and use! LOVE IT!

My baby is actually at the auto detailer today. She is getting matching tint on the front windows (driver's and passengers) and also I am having the 3M film applied to all painted surfaces, and the large chrome "ring" on the front end, 24" of film up the hood, and the mirrors also covered.

I will try to take some pics of it and post them up. Unfortunately we got 15cm of snow here in Cambridge Ontario last night so I am not sure how pictures will turn out / look, we may have to wait until the weather is better.

Anyways....A long note short! I AM LOVING THE TERRAIN!

Cheers TG

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
WOOHOO is right!
;D ;D ;D
Congrats, TerrainGirl!!!
It is a great feeling, esp. after waiting 3-1/2 months and the plant is couple exits down the 401!

Please do post pics if/when you have some time.
BTW, what colour is the interior?
Most of all...ENJOY your new toy!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opps....

Sorry all; here are the answers to some of your questions:

1) The interior is the JET Black leather, all jet black actually (figured it would be the best colour with a little one to "hide" spills)
2) 3M - I will try to take pictures, but our weather is not cooperating right now. And on the topic of 3M film, I will let my husband respond

Hey all...

This is TerrainGirls husband....We actually had the 3M film applied to our 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (my baby ;D )

I had them do all painted surfaces on the front, and it goes up the hood 24". I have to say 97% of the time you can't even see it. However if the car is really dirty (i.e. winter salt and such) thank up close the line is noticeable. However the rest of the time, you can't see anything unless you walk right up to the car and really look for it. I was also skeptical of it at first, but it has saved the paint amazingly, works amazingly, is so much easier to clean bugs off the front of the car, I have actually found spots where a stone did hit but did not damage the paint. All in all I am SUPER HAPPY with the decision to do it. NOW I have to put in a bit of a disclaimer. I did NOT buy a kit off of ebay. Rather I took it to "my guy" who did a customer cutting and application job, to ensure that we covered everything that I wanted cover, after comparision to the "after market kits" I found that mine covers a lot more than they do. Now having said that I did pay for it though I won't lie....it was not cheap but to me it was a lot cheaper than having to repaint the front end in a couple of years. ;D

Cheers
TG and her husband!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
And many thanks to hubby for sharing the 3M info.
8)
You may start a trend (I may open up a side job LOL, J/K!) with this custom front end 3M stuff!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Congrats..Terraingirl..looks awsome...but what happened to the Olympic Canada Hockey Team vs Team Miller,hehe(I am originally from Buffalo NY) Sabres fan???

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SnowItch said:
Terrain girl & Hubby,

Thanks for the info on the 3M film.

Two additional questions:

On the Malibu, do you see any difference in the rates at which the paint is fading? Obviously, I'm concerned if the film had to be removed that you might be able to see a difference.

What is the expected life of the film? Is there a chance it might start to change color?
SnowItch...

It's the hubby again...

There is no UV filter in the film, thus the paint is exposed to the same lighting conditions of the uncovered paint. I was told the following. The life expectancy is as long as I want it. My guy told me he will repair as needed.

He has been installing for a few years now, and hasn't had any issues or people come back. He also said that he asked the 3M rep the same question about it changing colour specifically yellowing....3M told him that it won't happen.

I guess the only thing that will answer these questions is time. I can tell you though that I am into my second Canadian winter with the film, and from all accounts have not no complaints or issues with it. It is standing up really really well.

Oh and another tid bit, it is 3mm thick, apparently there are other suppliers, and in order to get the price "down" they are making it 2mm. Just an FYI.

Cheers,

TG's Hubby

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
All this 3M talk makes me wonder if the automakers may one day offer up a "vacuum sealed 3M'd vehicle" LOL!
Definitely piqued my interest!

·
Registered
93 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
Well....After 106 days of waiting, my husband and I finally picked up my new baby on Saturday!

... She is getting matching tint on the front windows (driver's and passengers)
Congrats TG and TGH. I'm thinking about getting the matching tint, how much does the dealer charge for this?

Thanks!
KJ

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
noncon said:
Congrats TG and TGH. I'm thinking about getting the matching tint, how much does the dealer charge for this?

Thanks!
KJ
I got quoted $97 for the front 2 windows.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
noncon said:

Thanks!
KJ
KJ,

Actually we are not getting it tinted at the dealer, I refuse to do this, since the dealer usually puts a small mark up on the cost again. It is much cheaper and better to go and find someone who does quality work and work directly with them.

Now to answer your question - My husband's "guy" (funny why is it that men always have "a guy" that does that LOL) is going to match the tint on the front driver side window, and passenger side window, and it will cost us $200. I know it seems like a bit much, but he has done all of our cars and we have never had a single problem with any of them. Also his tint carries a lifetime warranty (I think it's lifetime either that or 10 years)

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bballr4567 said:
How much did it cost you for the 3M?
bballr4567

Cost = Appox $475; I know I know this seems like a lot; however if the job he does is as good as the one he did on my husband's Malibu than in my opinion it is money well spent! My commute to work is about half highway half city driving so I really would like to keep the front of the Terrain from looking like Swiss Cheese in a year.

Once I get it back (hopefully today) I will try and take some pictures of it, not only from a distance up I will try to get some upclose one's also.

Hope this helps, and like I mentioned previously, this isn't a kit, it is a customer cut job, and thus it is covering a lot more than the kits do.

Cheers,

TG

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
TerrainGirl said:
KJ,

Actually we are not getting it tinted at the dealer, I refuse to do this, since the dealer usually puts a small mark up on the cost again. It is much cheaper and better to go and find someone who does quality work and work directly with them.

Now to answer your question - My husband's "guy" (funny why is it that men always have "a guy" that does that LOL) is going to match the tint on the front driver side window, and passenger side window, and it will cost us $200. I know it seems like a bit much, but he has done all of our cars and we have never had a single problem with any of them. Also his tint carries a lifetime warranty (I think it's lifetime either that or 10 years)

Hope this helps you out.
We've always paid around 150 -160 CDN funds for two tinted windows, generally one step lighter than "limo black".
As dad always told me, "you get what you pay for" and knock on wood, although you may pay a little extra up front, it pays for itself over the years with quality parts and workmanship.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
That 3M stuff is great. I put it on my Harley about 3 years ago. Still looks invisible....oh, oh where did I install it? LOL

·
Registered
182 Posts
I got the 3M protection coating on my last car (dealer installed), a civic, and wasn't terribly impressed. The biggest turnoff for me, is that it was a pain to clean properly and/or keep clean. No matter how clean I got the 3m coating and the rest of the car, it always looked like the front end was covered in a thin film of grime.

Ultimately, it worked for the most part, but the aesthetic issues were a turnoff for me. I'd rather spend extra time with wax and touch-up pens where necessary.

·
Registered
182 Posts
SnowItch said:
If I remember correctly, you mentioned you do detailing. Is there a brand of touch-up pen you'd recommend over another?

I noticed that there are lots of vendors, all who say that they match paint perfectly. Do some do it better?
I'm not a full-time detailer or anything, but I do indeed do tons of detailing on my cars and bikes. I've even done a fair amount of painting over the years.

I've always tried to buy touch-up pens right from the manufacturer. But you can rarely ever get a true, 100% match, just because UV and environmental conditions degrade the paint on the vehicle slightly. In a pinch, I'll get whatever I can from Canadian Tire. You just have to make sure you're getting the paint that's 100% matched to your model and year. Applying touch-up (properly) is a bit of a skill too, if you want it to blend really well and look good. Things like rubbing compound are your best friend here.

I live in an area that's pretty bad for rock chips, due to the massive amounts of salt and gravel that they put on the road during the winter. For me, regular TLC has always worked well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts