GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

2881 - 2886 of 2886 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
POLRCUB II said:
+1

MY10 and MY11's had the LAF I4 engine but was replaced with the LEA I4 in 2012 and up.

Less issues with the MY12's and 13's?? I'm not exactly sure.
Whats the difference in the two engines?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking around on this particular forum for about 6 months now, I found it when I was shopping for a new car. I have always liked Chevrolet, and GMC, and I was seriously considering the Equinox. Alot of great posts by the members here helped convince me, and about 8 months ago I purchased a GM Certified 2011 Equinox with 61,000 miles on it. I have to say.. I LOVE this vehicle! Even my wife, who is a texan and die hard truck fan (God love her).. really enjoys it and enjoys driving it. We have taken a couple road trips in it already, and have racked the mileage up to 72k. We like to drive, what can I say :shrug: ...

Anyways, the one thing I didn't like was there was a definite hesitation to the vehicle, but I was assured that it was normal, and I was coming from a 6cyl Extended Trailblazer.. so I chalked it up to the fact that I haven't driven 4cyl in a while. However, I am getting this really loud.. grind/rattle when I start the vehicle. Not every start, and not always on a cold start. I have had it happen at least 4 times this week already. It lasts a couple seconds, then I get a really rough sounding idle for another 8-10 seconds before it levels off. I currently have an appt Wednesday to take the vehicle in to the dealers so they can try and recreate this issue..

Does this sound similar to what others have experienced in this thread? Or do you think this could be something a little different? I do have higher miles, and it is a certified vehicle, and not brand new.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'll post updates as I get them from the dealer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
NuDreamer said:
Hello Everyone!

I have been lurking around on this particular forum for about 6 months now, I found it when I was shopping for a new car. I have always liked Chevrolet, and GMC, and I was seriously considering the Equinox. Alot of great posts by the members here helped convince me, and about 8 months ago I purchased a GM Certified 2011 Equinox with 61,000 miles on it. I have to say.. I LOVE this vehicle! Even my wife, who is a texan and die hard truck fan (God love her).. really enjoys it and enjoys driving it. We have taken a couple road trips in it already, and have racked the mileage up to 72k. We like to drive, what can I say :shrug: ...

Anyways, the one thing I didn't like was there was a definite hesitation to the vehicle, but I was assured that it was normal, and I was coming from a 6cyl Extended Trailblazer.. so I chalked it up to the fact that I haven't driven 4cyl in a while. However, I am getting this really loud.. grind/rattle when I start the vehicle. Not every start, and not always on a cold start. I have had it happen at least 4 times this week already. It lasts a couple seconds, then I get a really rough sounding idle for another 8-10 seconds before it levels off. I currently have an appt Wednesday to take the vehicle in to the dealers so they can try and recreate this issue..

Does this sound similar to what others have experienced in this thread? Or do you think this could be something a little different? I do have higher miles, and it is a certified vehicle, and not brand new.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and I'll post updates as I get them from the dealer.
Hello NuDreamer!

Congrats on the purchase!! It truly is a pretty remarkable vehicle. I've had some 'fun' (we'll call it) with mine, but I continue to love it.

Unfortunately.... The noise you describe sounds VERY familiar to what I had about a month ago or so. I was so fortunate ( :banghead:) to have one that ended up needing a new engine, which I had replaced in February of this year. But then down the road, I was getting the sound, and it ended up being the exhaust manifold. It was cracked. It was exactly as you explain it. An awful rattling for up to about 10 seconds, then once the idle leveled out, it was just fine. Turn it off and restart it right back up, was also fine.

I documented the sound by turning off all accessories, buckling my seat belt, then I RECORDED the starts, both cold and warm. I then emailed the sounds to the dealer so they had a reference. I'm attaching them in a zip file.. See if it sounds similar

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Issues with 2011 Terrain - POWER STEERING

My wife has a power steering issue on her 2011 Terrain. I had the same thing on my Chevy Traverse. Mine cost $$1,300+ to replace the pump and then the rack. I was told it was a design issue but GM was not recalling. A year later they sent a notice and I got most of what I paid back. So here we go again. GM is changing the hoses and generator - changing the design. Not covering under warranty and again a whopping $$1,300. This is a known problem per the dealership - which is why they also have the redesign repair instructions. GM should just fess up and fix their underpowered steering issues on their SUVs.

The dealership said there is a TSB on this, they stated that the repair is a change in design with the hoses. We were notified today that in addition to the already pricey repair, a new power steering pump is also required. Add $200 to the tab. This is at a discounted price. Now totals $1500.. We service our GM vehicles at a GM dealership. The service rep is always on top of things and would certainly tell us if there was a recall or a factory paid fix. My wife's car has 78,000 miles on it. My Traverse had ~87,000 when the power steering went out on it. My father-in-law retired from GM, so we have been driving GM vehicles for 30+ years. My intentions are only to let the Forum know this seems very much like an issue that GM did (after some time) decide should be covered under a warranty umbrella on the Traverse - and I would like to see them do the same here.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Have you called GM Customer Service or looked into possible TSBs .. . . Technical Service Bulletins regarding your problem.

Also, introductions go a long way in a forum first. . . . especially when starting with problems or concerns. Otherwise other motives are suspect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took in my 2011 GMC Terrain to dealer because its turning off every time i slow down. Car now has about 80k miles. Check engine light came on and its looking like it could be a number of things from the solenoids, to the timing chain. Something is off with the timing. Anyone else experience this?

2881 - 2886 of 2886 Posts