GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Issues after engine rebuild of 2014 GMC Terrain 2.4L??

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Crankme69 
#1 ·
Has anyone that has had their engines rebuilt with the "GM" fixes had issues afterwards? Trying to decide if I should toss this Terrain and purchase a new vehicle. Just for context I was told by the dealerships service department that the head was sent to machine shop to be fixed and the pistons were new and a direct "GM" fix to known issues. Also my Terrain is still at the service department because this oil consumption mess ended up destroying the transfer case as well and the parts are on backorder with no idea of when it will be fixed. I guess the question is, will these "fixes" prolong the life of my Terrain or am I just waiting on more issue to come. Should I dump it and get a new vehicle? I am not too mechanically inclined so my apologizes if I don't make sense.

#2 ·
First I assume you have a 2.4L and your repairs are for the oil consumption and piston/ring issues.
Some dealers are very good in their rebuilds and some do what is just the minimum.
If you are paying the bill rather than GM warranty you will get a more thorough job such as sending the head to a machine shop.

If I were you I would take your title with you when they call to tell your vehicle is done and ready to be picked up.
That way you can go from the service drive right to the new car department.
Find out how much you trade is worth and pick out a new one.
This opinion is from someone with over 50 years working in the automotive industry, good luck.

#3 ·
Yes I do have 2.4L and the repairs being done are for the issues you specified. I purchased my Terrain used about 4 months ago and after 3 months is when I ended up bringing it in. I luckily when I purchased the vehicle got the warranty for it and the warranty company payed for most of the repairs and I got the dealership to pay for the rest. I will end up losing money in the end if I trade in and that was why I was wondering if I will continue to have issues with this engine even after the repairs. Thank you for your response it is greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.