GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just recently purchased a used 2015 Chevy Equinox from a local used car lot. I paid around $17,700 for the vehicle and it's overall in pretty good shape. I took it to my local GM dealership for an inspection before buying and they said it was in pretty good shape. However, I looked under the vehicle today and it appeared that exhausted system looked very rusted. I know that there are normal limits but for some reason this looks excessive. I'm just posting this to get your opinions on the level of rust the car has and if you guys think it is way too much or normal?

TLDR;
Bought 2015 Chevy Equinox, GM Dealership inspected and said it was in over good condition, I saw rust that seems excessive to me underneath on exhaust, what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Our +3 year old 2015 Eqiunox LTZ 3.6L V6 exhaust looks similar. Surface rust on many parts of the exhaust.

There are types of stainless steel that do rust. Guessing GM has gone to a lower cost grade. If it is just surface rust, it still should last quite long.

I bought a stainless steel gas grill some years back thinking it would last. Turned out to be a low nickel chrome content stainless steel and it rusted within 3 years.

The higher (and costlier) nickel/chrome content in stainless steel then more rust resistant it will be.

Guess a performance exhaust might be in the cards. . . :smile:

·
Registered
302 Posts
The rust does seem somewhat excessive compared to other exhaust systems I've seen, even much older ones, that said the underside of the new to you Nox looks really, really clean for 3 years on the road, so my advice is not to worry about it, drive it and enjoy it, and if and when your muffler and/or tailpipe fall off, deal with it then.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I gotta admit - I was shocked at the level of rust on that exhaust pipe in the first picture! When it's cratered *that* much, I would think it's not that far away from perforation.

Was this car kept near the ocean? Maybe salt air has something to do with it?

Or maybe it's just a "Rust Belt" vehicle where it's seen a lot of snow and road salt?

Good news is - like "garagerog" said: the rest of it looks OK. Is this the 4 or 6 cylinder Equinox?

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I gotta admit - I was shocked at the level of rust on that exhaust pipe in the first picture! When it's cratered *that* much, I would think it's not that far away from perforation.

Was this car kept near the ocean? Maybe salt air has something to do with it?

Or maybe it's just a "Rust Belt" vehicle where it's seen a lot of snow and road salt?

Good news is - like "garagerog" said: the rest of it looks OK. Is this the 4 or 6 cylinder Equinox?
My first thought was that maybe the vehicle went to Corpus Christi TX for Spring Break and then spent some time swimming in the floods. But, since the rest of the underside looks fine, it should be OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts