GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Is this normal?

13K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Chevrolet Customer Svc 
#1 ·
What do you think, is this normal? I have a 2011 I4 Equinox with 11,000 miles on it. At idle, I have noticed a slight vibration. I feel the vibration in my seat and if my knee is against he console. Nothing in the steering wheel. It is more noticeable in ECO mode, but it is still noticeable with the ECO off. Same vibration in park or gear. Off idle it is smooth. I have no idea how long it has been dong this. I probably would not of noticed it, but I drove a Camry. The engine was smooth as silk and I knew it was not like my Equinox. So I took it to a dealer near my home and they recalibrating the computer. They told me the vibration was pretty much normal. So I took it to the dealer I bought the car from. ( An hour away ) We sat in several cars and some vibrated more and some less. The Car will be going to the shop in about two weeks. I just wanted to see if anyone else has this vibration.
The second thing I noticed was that at idle the heater blows air that is warm. As soon as the engine is above idle, it blows very hot air. I am not saying more air, just much hotter. Is this normal?

#2 ·
I noticed a slight vibration in my steering column when at idle and stopped while in ECO mode. Shut off ECO and the vibe stops after about 1 second, my vibe is likely due to changes in fueling and how it effects the idle of this I4. I'm use to a loud Cummins diesel, so the Equinox is like a luxury car to me ;D As far as low heat at idle, probably not much water circulation in the block until the rpm's go up, I'll have to check mine to see if I have similar results.

#3 ·
I'm guessing its all due to the direct injection engine running in ultra lean mode at idle. Little energy (fuel) in, so the idle is rougher, and there is less waste heat for the heater to use.

#4 ·
Nutz1 said:
I'm guessing its all due to the direct injection engine running in ultra lean mode at idle. Little energy (fuel) in, so the idle is rougher, and there is less waste heat for the heater to use.
Makes sense to me :thumb:
Have to say though -- my Nox is very smooth running, now (After recall) in either ECO or not

#5 ·
It's the nature of 4cyl engines. In the interest of fuel economy, GM has set the idle speed pretty low (about 850rpm in eco mode and around 900rpm normally) ...if you gently press the pedal and raise it up to 1k rpm you'll notice it smooths right out. Makers of higher end cars with 4cyl engines (such as Acura) will often have a higher idle rpm to give the illusion of smoothness...and also provide a little more acceleration punch from a dead stop.

#6 ·
Everything said makes sense about trying to save gas. With that said, it just does not make sense to me that GM would allow a $34,000 vehicle to vibrate just to increase gas mileage. After all, how much is the mileage increased by the engine running like it does? The car goes into the shop on Feb 7th. I will report back. I will also have to check the Camry that I drove and see what RPM it idles at.

#7 ·
The Last Captain said:
Everything said makes sense about trying to save gas. With that said, it just does not make sense to me that GM would allow a $34,000 vehicle to vibrate just to increase gas mileage. After all, how much is the mileage increased by the engine running like it does? The car goes into the shop on Feb 7th. I will report back. I will also have to check the Camry that I drove and see what RPM it idles at.
I have a 4 cyl. and it does not vibrate. Take it in and have it checked. If possible drive the vehilce (or sit in it while idling) with a tech.

#8 ·
i never noticed the idle vibration...but i just experienced the no heat at idle. and it sucks...i don't recall ever having that problem in any vehicle before. like everything else, probably bad design, and nothing actually wrong with it...

not something i would be smart enough to test out before a purchase...shame on me...and gmc.

#10 ·
NoobNox said:
It's the nature of 4cyl engines. In the interest of fuel economy, GM has set the idle speed pretty low (about 850rpm in eco mode and around 900rpm normally) ...if you gently press the pedal and raise it up to 1k rpm you'll notice it smooths right out. Makers of higher end cars with 4cyl engines (such as Acura) will often have a higher idle rpm to give the illusion of smoothness...and also provide a little more acceleration punch from a dead stop.
If my dash RPM gauge is accurate, my 12' I4 idles at 750 RPM, in ECO it appears to drop to about 625 RPM.

#13 ·
I took the Nox to the second dealer for the vibration and a minor problem with the drivers window. The dealer gave me a rental car. I was impressed, it was a very nice car ( Impala ). The next day they called me and said that they checked everything and it all checked out fine. They said they checked with GM and everything was within tolerances. They had to order a part for the window and asked if I was ok with them having the car for another day. Even though they did not fix the vibration, I was happy with the dealer. You have to remember the vibration is very minor. For what it is worth, I asked the if the car fell into the 11195A recall and it did not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.