GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3,331 miles and oil life remaining is 67%.

At this rate I won't be getting my first oil change till 10,000 miles.

Is this right ?

Did the '11 nox 4cyl come with super oil ? or synthetic oil ? or is the sensor maybe malfunctioning ?

Or is this just what to expect ?

PolarBear

·
Registered
715 Posts
Don't most dealers give a free first oil change??

You might check with the dealer about that OLM, some of them are being 're-set' due to oil related problems.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I ignore the OLM completely.....I did my first oil change @3k and then every 5k thereafter. No way I would run the factory oil for 10k during break-in..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
NoobNox said:
I ignore the OLM completely.....I did my first oil change @3k and then every 5k thereafter. No way I would run the factory oil for 10k during break-in..
I agree!..I dont pay attention to the OLM..I did my first @2k and then @5k ...7k after that.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yea, with break-in oil getting so bad for so many people early on, it would be in your best interest to go ahead and do an oil change now. I think I'll probably be doing it every 5,000 miles or so, from here on out. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alrighty into the dealer for the freebie it is then.

BTW I haven't heard of the oil problems.

Any comments ? or links to threads talking about that ?

PolarBear

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
PolarBear said:
Alrighty into the dealer for the freebie it is then.

BTW I haven't heard of the oil problems.

Any comments ? or links to threads talking about that ?

PolarBear
I am not aware of ANY oil problems. Initially, oil was a possible candidate for the cause of engine noise, but I believe that most agree that it was due to a bad batch of supplier parts - solinoids and actuators.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think that the break-in oil plays some kind of part in the start-up noise issue. I don't remember who it was or what thread it was on here, but one person posted a picture of their oil filter when they did their oil change, you could see the metal shavings in between the pleats. Through the whole start-up noise ordeal, it all started out with the possibility that metal shavings from engine break-in was the culprit. So, better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

But also, many people, including me if that matters, have expressed that their overall engine performance and mpg improved a little after their first oil change. So, I don't know, it's open to interpretation of course, but I think it's worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sumr616 said:
But also, many people, including me if that matters, have expressed that their overall engine performance and mpg improved a little after their first oil change. So, I don't know, it's open to interpretation of course, but I think it's worth it.
Now thinking of how I can get a couple of "first oil changes" :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts