GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittently so once every few months but has happened twice in last two weeks now. When I start my car every thing works fine but the buttons and lights on the media center don't work (radio change, ac controls etc) I switch car off and turn it back on and it's back to normal.

Battery is an interstate battery that was replaced in early 2017.

Only reason I think it's battery is because I left key in ignition with everything but engine on for 45 minutes and car needed to be jumped after.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I agree. . likely the battery. Depending on if you do short drives, leave the truck unused for days, and run the radio or other accessories, the battery can start to loose recharge ability within 3 or 4 years.
There was just another post like yours . . . same symptoms. We see that a LOT here.

It is important and key to replace the battery now. . . before it gets worse. Damage can result to other electrical systems by ignoring the warning signs. The computers in the car monitor battery condition and will shut things off like displays and controls in order to conserve power if the battery is failing.
You could get the charge system check also along with a load test on your current battery. But from the symptoms.. it does sound like your battery is on the way out.

Because today's batteries use thinner plates and other technology to make them lighter than old style batteries, they do not last as long and many are not very durable. You could try and see if there is a larger capacity battery that will fit and maybe last a b it longer or more easily handle loads placed upon it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. . likely the battery. Depending on if you do short drives, leave the truck unused for days, and run the radio or other accessories, the battery can start to loose recharge ability within 3 or 4 years.
There was just another post like yours . . . same symptoms. We see that a LOT here.

It is important and key to replace the battery now. . . before it gets worse. Damage can result to other electrical systems by ignoring the warning signs. The computers in the car monitor battery condition and will shut things off like displays and controls in order to conserve power if the battery is failing.
You could get the charge system check also along with a load test on your current battery. But from the symptoms.. it does sound like your battery is on the way out.

Because today's batteries use thinner plates and other technology to make them lighter than old style batteries, they do not last as long and many are not very durable. You could try and see if there is a larger capacity battery that will fit and maybe last a b it longer or more easily handle loads placed upon it.
Yeah lots of short trips. Was unsure how long batteries usually last and saw 3-4 years. But did see people saying 7 or more too so was concerned.

Did have the battery checked along with other stuff on my last multi point inspection and they didn't say anything was wrong with battery actually has a green tick next to it.

Batteries are cheap so guess I should get it replaced anyway

·
Registered
50 Posts
Battery expected life will vary by soooooo many variables, there is no hard set limit. Climate, how the vehicle is stored, how often it is driven, electrical load, etc. In general, you should be able to get 3 years out of just about any battery. I live in the central midwest and usually got closer to 5-6 years out of mine. Once past the 4 year mark, any hint of trouble and I usually replaced. We just replaced the battery in our '15 Terrain, not due to charge issues, but due to a cracked case around the terminal causing corrosion. My other car, pretty sure that battery was closer to 7 years old and was still going strong....but that car spent the majority of its time in the garage sitting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2015 2.4 engine from new to 90,000 miles. I had the same problem with the media center going blank. Sometimes the backup camera would blank out. In 5.5 years of ownership it occurred maybe a dozen times. Never found anything online as a viable solution. Probably some glitch in the software. Treated it like any computer shut the car off and did a restart and the problem was gone. The air conditioner would do the same thing. The compressor would not come on and there would be no cooling. Stop, turn off car, and restart and it would reset and voila the air would work. I would not throw any money at it unless it is occurring all the time. It's like chasing a ghost. Sometimes it's there then it's gone. I loved the Equinox except for the quirks like the one you mentioned. I was afraid of the impending engine failure you see online that was sort of addressed by a class action law suit. Good gas mileage, nice ride, handled good. Only real upgrade I did was putting drilled slotted brake rotors and better pads on the front. Also changed oil at 4-5000 miles with synthetic. Even changed trans fluid twice. As I said one of the better vehicles I ever had. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the battery solution. I replaced my battery around four years and cleaned and coated the positive terminal that showed unusual corrosion. The same ghosts still intermittently showed up. When doing battery be sure to coat the terminal/cable with a good product made for batteries.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
On the battery solution. I replaced my battery around four years and cleaned and coated the positive terminal that showed unusual corrosion. The same ghosts still intermittently showed up. When doing battery be sure to coat the terminal/cable with a good product made for batteries.
As a good rule of thumb.
An unusual corrosion condition on the positive cable/terminal is an overcharge condition.
Corrosion on the negative cable/terminal is an undercharge condition.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a good rule of thumb.
An unusual corrosion condition on the positive cable/terminal is an overcharge condition.
Corrosion on the negative cable/terminal is an undercharge condition.
Good info...but in also be on the lookout for a cracked battery case as we had in our Terrain. There was a small crack right around the post causing venting to the clamp which corroded things up pretty bad. I had a similar issue in my Acura that completely destroyed the battery cable requiring replacement. Since the batteries are under covers these days, you don't always see the signs until it causes issues and potentially leaves you stranded.

·
Registered
629 Posts
OEM AGM battery in my '16 went at 3 yrs. . No warning like slow crank just dead one morning.
Same AC AGM one in my '11 Tahoe came out at 7 yrs because of it's age, no issues other than it's age/trusting it.
Batteries have always been a issue, back in the day of only flooded batteries and 40 amp alternators 3-4 yrs. was fantastic. We always had jumpers in the trunk back then, along with the 4 way lug wrench for the at least once a year flat tire before steel belted ones.
Standing in the parking lot holding your jumpers someone would always stop to give you a jump.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts