GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using my Droid X phone via Bluetooth. I've programmed several numbers into the SRX's hands-free system. Every time I use the hands-free system, however, I get a bunch of confirmations for each call -- confirming the phone I'm using (the Droid X), confirming the phone number or voice tag, etc. It's annoying and time-consuming.

Is there any way to disable some or all of these confirmations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Well it's an older Motorola RAZR VC-3M...

But, using only the phone's - phone book and the phone's voice recognition...

To make a bluetooth call...it goes like this:

I press the "bad breath guy" button
I say "Bluetooth"
The car says "Bluetooth ready"
I say "Voice"
My phone says "Say a command"
I say "Call [whomever] "
My phone says "Calling [whomever]"

and that's it...I haven't stored any "name tags"/"numbers" anywhere except on the phone itself

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...but I was hoping to use the car's number storage system as the voice commands system on the phone can, at times, be flakey.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Tip for handsfree dialing: I've got the Terrain SLE2 and an iPhone 3GS. The iPhone's got lots of contacts stored but I keep a couple that I call the most in the Terrain system too. So long as the iPhone is connected by Bluetooth, I can short-cut calling one of the people whose numbers are stored in the Terrain by just pressing the steering wheel call button and saying "Call..." the Terrain's voice tag for the person. It will ask me to confirm, and then will call using the iPhone. For calls other than the numbers stored in the Terrain, I use the Bluetooth/Voice sequence that Mochanox outlined. My understanding is that the system will always default to a bluetooth connected phone. To actually call out on the On-Star phone, I'd have to either turn off the iPhone's bluetooth link, put the iPhone in airplane mode, or turn the iPhone off altogether. So for frequently called numbers, having a voice tag stored in the Terrain is convenient. (And when you forget that the number *isn't* stored in the Terrain, you can use the Terrain voice system's cancel command to get back to the main menu and then use Bluetooth/Voice.)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tdog said:
...I can short-cut calling one of the people whose numbers are stored in the Terrain by just pressing the steering wheel call button and saying "Call..." the Terrain's voice tag for the person. It will ask me to confirm, and then will call using the iPhone. For calls other than the numbers stored in the Terrain, I use the Bluetooth/Voice sequence that Mochanox outlined...
Interesting... I've tried to short-cut hands-free calling by doing exactly what you said and was unable to do so :(

After reading your post here, I went out to my car to try one more time but the lady will either say "voice recognition cancelled" or something else that I didn't want like "radio AM". To call using the stored voice tags I have to say, "hands-free" - she says "ready" I say "voice" she says "voice using {phone tag}, please say the name of blah blah blah" then I say the name using the stored voice tag and she says "calling {insert voice tag here} using {insert phone tag here} is this correct?" then I say "yes". I'd LOVE to be able to just hit the button and say "call {so and so}". I have Nav, does that make a difference?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TerrainLem said:
Interesting... I've tried to short-cut hands-free calling by doing exactly what you said and was unable to do so :(

After reading your post here, I went out to my car to try one more time but the lady will either say "voice recognition cancelled" or something else that I didn't want like "radio AM". To call using the stored voice tags I have to say, "hands-free" - she says "ready" I say "voice" she says "voice using {phone tag}, please say the name of blah blah blah" then I say the name using the stored voice tag and she says "calling {insert voice tag here} using {insert phone tag here} is this correct?" then I say "yes". I'd LOVE to be able to just hit the button and say "call {so and so}". I have Nav, does that make a difference?
Precisely my situation as well. All of the confirmations are time-consuming and annoying. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
978 Posts
TerrainLem said:
...I'd LOVE to be able to just hit the button and say...
SoCalSRX said:
...All of the confirmations are time-consuming and annoying. :eek:hno:
Gee Whiz...I just cannot imagine what the 2 of you (and likely more folk as well) are going thru

I just wouldn't even bother if it were that cumbersome...

The simplistic approach I posted above that the wife and I use is soooooo easy... :shrug:
Just one set of name tags in each of our devices = no multiples to remember
My 'ol RAZR or her new IPHONE the process is the same...
3 commands and the call is placed

·
Registered
341 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
Gee Whiz...I just cannot imagine what the 2 of you (and likely more folk as well) are going thru

I just wouldn't even bother if it were that cumbersome...

The simplistic approach I posted above that the wife and I use is soooooo easy... :shrug:
Just one set of name tags in each of our devices = no multiples to remember
My 'ol RAZR or her new IPHONE the process is the same...
3 commands and the call is placed
Ha! We're spoiled in this day and age whereby we've become accustomed to things happening quickly and easily. Hard to believe we were all once families that shared a single 14.4kbps modem connection and had to tie up the phone line to do so.

The key here is not having to take our hands off the wheel to begin voice recognition. From your earlier post, I'm assuming you're using the Razr's voice recog key (on the phone itself) to begin the process, yes? While this is simple enough, again, it's about not having to take your hands off the wheel to make a phone call (as well as the first sentence of this post)

If I hold down the "home" button on my iPhone, after a brief delay, I hear a chime which indicates the phone is ready to accept voice input, at which point I can speak the name of the person I want to dial or the voice command I wish to initiate. This process takes approximately 5 seconds. To call someone using the voice tags in the Terrain it takes approximately 28 seconds (given the voice commands and confirmations necessary). Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love having phone capability and voice recognition working so seamlessly with my vehicle; however, I think being able to press the voice command button (on the steering wheel) hearing a chime, and immediately being able to say "Call {blank person}" would make calling all that much more enjoyable and safer (versus interacting with the handset while driving)...

On another note, I'd love to know how Tdog was able to do exactly what I just described (i.e. 2 step voice calling) :)

·
Registered
978 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I'm assuming you're using the Razr's voice recog key (on the phone itself) to begin the process, yes?
No

Completely hands free

The only "button" I press is the "bad breath" guy on the steering wheel
I say "Bluetooth"
I say "Voice"
My phone says "Say a command" (thru the car's Bluetooth)
I say "Call [whomever] "
My phone says "Calling [whomever]" (thru the car's Bluetooth)

The RAZR can be in a cubby in the very back of the car for all the NOX cares

·
Registered
341 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
No

Completely hands free
Hmmmm.... I think you just taught me something, I didn't know you can start out by saying "bluetooth"... I thought you first had to say "handsfree" then "voice" then "bluetooth" then "voice command" - I'll have to try that out here in a bit. Thanks for the correction Mocha! *fingers-crossed* it works like yours...

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm going to try the wife's new IPHONE to see how simple I can get that one...

She says it's not as simple...Hmmmmm

Going out to try...we're going shopping...I will post back later tonight...I suspect she is correct though

·
Registered
341 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
I'm going to try the wife's new IPHONE to see how simple I can get that one...

She says it's not as simple...Hmmmmm

Going out to try...we're going shopping...I will post back later tonight...I suspect she is correct though
cool - looking forward to hearing back...

·
Registered
978 Posts
So essentially the RAZR and the IPHONE4 are the same

The only difference with her IPHONE4 is the commands and responses are:

Press the "bad breath" guy on the steering wheel
Say "Bluetooth"
Say "Voice"
The car says "Ok, Connecting" (or 'Accessing", can't remember)
The IPHONE4 replies with a "double tone" (thru the car's Bluetooth)
Say "Call [whomever] "
IPHONE4 says "Ok, Calling [whomever]" (thru the car's Bluetooth)

and we found something new as well:

Calls from the RAZR and the IPHONE4 can be made in 2 steps if you don't use a "name tag"...

Say "Dial"
The car says "Ok, say the name or number"
Say "555-5555"
The car says "Ok dialing 555-5555"
and the call goes thru

·
Registered
368 Posts
Responding to:
"On another note, I'd love to know how Tdog was able to do exactly what I just described (i.e. 2 step voice calling) "

In addition to having the names and numbers stored in my iPhone, I also stored a handful of the numbers that I most frequently call from the car in the Terrain's OnStar phone directory. To call those numbers, I just press the steering wheel call button, say "Call..." the Terrain phone's voice tag, and the Terrain grabs the number from its directory BUT since the iPhone is connected by Bluetooth, it makes the call over the iPhone rather than using OnStar phone minutes. (If I wanted to use the OnStar phone, I'd have to turn off the Bluetooth link between the Terrain and the iPhone.)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
341 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
So essentially the RAZR and the IPHONE4 are the same

The only difference with her IPHONE4 is the commands and responses are:

Say "Bluetooth"
Say "Voice"
The car says "Ok, Connecting" (or 'Accessing", can't remember)
The IPHONE4 replies with a "double tone" (thru the car's Bluetooth)
Say "Call [whomever] "
IPHONE4 says "Ok, Calling [whomever]" (thru the car's Bluetooth)

and we found something new as well:

Calls from the RAZR and the IPHONE4 can be made in 2 steps if you don't use a "name tag"...

Say "Dial"
The car says "Ok, say the name or number"
Say "555-5555"
The car says "Ok dialing 555-5555"
and the call goes thru
This is quite puzzling... I tried multiple times to start my voice command by saying "bluetooth" but all I get is either "voice recognition cancelled" or something like "there is no CD in the drive". For me, I must first say "handsfree". Do you have NAV? I wonder if that makes a difference since I do.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tdog said:
Responding to:
"On another note, I'd love to know how Tdog was able to do exactly what I just described (i.e. 2 step voice calling) "

In addition to having the names and numbers stored in my iPhone, I also stored a handful of the numbers that I most frequently call from the car in the Terrain's OnStar phone directory. To call those numbers, I just press the steering wheel call button, say "Call..." the Terrain phone's voice tag, and the Terrain grabs the number from its directory BUT since the iPhone is connected by Bluetooth, it makes the call over the iPhone rather than using OnStar phone minutes. (If I wanted to use the OnStar phone, I'd have to turn off the Bluetooth link between the Terrain and the iPhone.)

Hope that helps.
Thanks Tdog - do you know if having NAV makes a difference? Do you have NAV?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't have OEM Navigation

·
Registered
978 Posts
This may help for those with Nav...

gmiemigrad said:
You can use the voice dialing feature on your phone through the bluetooth.

From the owners manual:

Voice Pass-Thru
Voice pass-thru allows access to the voice recognition commands on the cell phone. See the cell phone manufacturer's user guide to see if the cell phone supports this feature.

To access contacts stored in the cell phone:

Press the phone button on the steering wheel ("bad breath guy" per Mochanox)
• For vehicles without a navigation system, the system responds "Ready," followed by a tone.

• For vehicles with a navigation system, the system responds with a tone. After the tone say "Hands Free." The system responds "Ready," followed by a tone.

Say "Bluetooth." The system responds "Bluetooth ready," followed by a tone.
Say "Voice." The system responds "OK, accessing <phone name>."
• The cell phone's normal prompt messages will go through their cycle according to the phone's operating instructions.

·
Registered
341 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
This may help for those with Nav...
Ahhhh, ok, looks like me having the Nav is where my confusion was coming from. So I guess us Nav users have an "extra step" to voice dial :)

no biggie... thanks for the relay of 411 Mocha!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts