GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To using four wheel drive (2019 Terrain) during the summer on paved roads? Perhaps some parts get lubricated that wouldn't in two wheel drive?

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
That is a great question. Seems like it might be a good idea to run it for a couple of minutes every so often. Similar to running a a/c in the winter, although that gets its use via the defroster in the winter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I Had a 1973 CJ-5 & It Said, Drive Vehicle (5) Mi. Per Month in 4WD to Insure Proper Lubrication of All 4WD Parts. I Don't Know About "Newer" Vehicles These Days. I Would Definitely Say, (If) You Are Going to Do It on Dry Pavement, Use 4W-Hi Selection. Keep Speeds "Very" Smooth & At a "Very" Reasonable Speed. 35MPH Then Be Very "Careful" Taking Sharp Turns the 4WD Tries to Fight Itself. Go Low & Slow. But I Would Get a More Current Up-to-Date Answer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It doesn’t hurt to turn it on from time to time. It does make a noticeable decline in fuel economy as well as a little more noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually do not do not apply 4wd on a paved surface with good traction the transfer case driveshaft and CV shafts will wear out but if u do lose traction use 4wd. I would not touch it unless if I was stuck or going to be. Others might say it won't hurt but thats why they have to have all those clutches because people use it wrong old cars with 4x4 locked in when u turn on pavement they literally stop or break a driveshaft on these your going to have a clutch wear out.

·
Registered
480 Posts
4WD and AWD are very different. It doesn’t hurt the system to use AWD on dry pavement. In fact if you select Tow/Haul Mode, AWD is automaticity engaged.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
How do you engage tow/haul mode ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
You use the Driver Mode Control dial on the console. With AWD you have Tour Mode (2WD), AWD Mode, Off-Road Mode and Tow/Haul Mode. *Tow/Haul mode is only available with the factory towing package.

For 2WD vehicles you have Tour Mode and Snow Mode plus, if equipped with the Towing Package, Tow/Haul Mode.

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
I have awd, but never saw this dial you are referring to. Maybe the Equinox did not have it in '18 ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have awd, but never saw this dial you are referring to. Maybe the Equinox did not have it in '18 ?
The Equinox doesn’t have the knob. It’s probably in the gauge cluster DIC in the same menus as the traction and stability control.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I believe the Nox is just the standard AWD no selection switch it's just always on. Similar to how the Nox has an actual shifter and the Terrain the electronic shifter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My 2020 Equinox Premier AWD has the Tow/Haul button right next to the AWD button on the center console, all the way towards the front. It doesn't have any words on it, just a picture.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you run your defroster the ac compressor runs...you don't need to run your ac in winter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts