GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first looked at a Terrain, the one I took for a test drive and was going to make an offer on, well...it was a FWD but the salesman had told me it was AWD. Thankfully in the nick of time I read on the "sheet" that's fixed to the back window (that shows all of the options) that that particular one was only FWD.

The one I purchased, according to this particular sheet, is AWD (what I wanted/need). But how can I truly verify that the one I purchased really *is* AWD? Would there be something, somewhere on the vehicle that would confirm this? (for my own peace of mind)

Thx

·
Registered
830 Posts
There is a AWD tag on the tailgate.

And you can look under the Terrain to see if you have the driveshaft coming from the front to the rear wheels.

Here are some pictures of the bottom of the Terrain/Nox AWD
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1492.0

G

·
I hope you went and purchased the AWD from another dealer rather than give your business to that slime ball who was just talking out his @ss telling you everything you wanted to here. If he/she is so carelees to not even know what he's got on the lot and what trim level he's giving you is not somebody you want handling your purchase in the tens of thousands of dollars!

·
Registered
306 Posts
SuperMat64 hit the nail on the head. To have awd you must have a drive shaft going to the rear wheels? By the way, did you look and what did you find?

PS--great pictures, thanks!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all who responded, particularly to the kind person who advised that there should be a tag on the tailgate. And thank GOD, the tag did say AWD.

This morning was the first morning I drove my Terrain in winter/snow/icy conditions. I nearly spun on backing out of my driveway. Had maybe 3 inches of snow overnight. My old Escape would have driven down the driveway like nothin'. I wasn't going fast but go to a point where I could tell that if I kept driving backwards, I'd have started to spin (terrible traction), so I had to go forward and drive out the side of my driveway. So much for AWD.

My Terrain came with new Michelin Lattitude Tour (supposedly All Season) tires, which I did think were crap compared to the great "all weather" Nokian tires I had on my Escape. The Michelin's didn't strike me, judging by the tread design, to be good in snow. I have an order in for the Nokians.

It was a white-knuckle drive on the highway into work. I felt I had really lousy control on the icy/snow-covered highway. Like night and day compared to my Escape. I remembered the "traction control" thingmabob and I turned it on for the drive home. It was a super slow drive so not terribly sure if it made a big difference.

All I can say is that driving the Terrain was nothing like driving my Escape. I rarely put my Escape into 4WD, and even when it wasn't, winter driving was a breeze and I always felt secure and like I had good control. I surely didn't feel that way today in my Terrain. How does a person even know when AWD is working? (if it needs to)

Does the Traction Control feature really make a difference with wheel spin?

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Why in the world didn't you get a new 'Escape'? Just by reading how you compare the Terrain negatively to the Ford in every paragraph of practically every one of your posts...I can tell you right now..that you'll never be happy with the Terrain. It's not just a couple things where the Ford was better...it's everything! Surely you will reread your posts and realize that selling the GMC outright..or trading it in for a new Escape...and taking the hit..would be the only way to satisfy you. Why drive a CUV that is 'by far' so inferior to the one that you really want? I don't get it....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IceMan said:
Why in the world didn't you get a new 'Escape'? Just by reading how you compare the Terrain negatively to the Ford in every paragraph of practically every one of your posts...I can tell you right now..that you'll never be happy with the Terrain. It's not just a couple things where the Ford was better...it's everything! Surely you will reread your posts and realize that selling the GMC outright..or trading it in for a new Escape...and taking the hit..would be the only way to satisfy you. Why drive a CUV that is 'by far' so inferior to the one that you really want? I don't get it....
Get over yourself, Iceman. Is this only a place to write sugary, warm fuzzy expressions of rainbows, puppies and lollipops? No, I didn't think so. It's a place for Terrain owners to discuss their vehicles - the good, the bad and the ugly. Yes, there are plenty of good points about the Terrain but I have a very busy life and I certainly don't have the time or inclination to surf the net posting sugary sweetness about the vehicle I spent nearly $40,000 on which I expect to be a **** good vehicle. Of course I compare my Terrain to my Escape as that's the last SUV I owned and it's only natural I'm going to compare. Why are you so defensive and offended by my posts? Are you so fragile that you feel I am somehow personally insulting YOU for my expressed issues with my vehicle? Just ignore my posts if they trouble you so. *eye roll*

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
So, because the tires are crappy the whole vehicle is? Do you remember how bad your OEM tires were on the Escape before you replaced them with the good ones?

EXACTLY.

And yes, traction control only helps with wheel spin but you also have stability control. It will brake each wheel independently to get the vehicle under control. You need to go to an empty parking lot and test the limit of your new vehicle to figure out how to drive it.

Also, just for the record, AWD does NOTHING once you are in motion. It only helps get you traction from a standstill. Once you have sufficient forward motion, AWD is pointless.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bballr4567 said:
So, because the tires are crappy the whole vehicle is? Do you remember how bad your OEM tires were on the Escape before you replaced them with the good ones?

EXACTLY.

And yes, traction control only helps with wheel spin but you also have stability control. It will brake each wheel independently to get the vehicle under control. You need to go to an empty parking lot and test the limit of your new vehicle to figure out how to drive it.

Also, just for the record, AWD does NOTHING once you are in motion. It only helps get you traction from a standstill. Once you have sufficient forward motion, AWD is pointless.
Nowhere did I state or imply that because I feel the Michelin tires that came with my vehicle are crappy (in my opinion), that my entire vehicle is crappy. If I was looking to blame the vehicle itself, I wouldn't have bothered to mention the tires, period.

AWD does nothing while in motion? I thought the whole point of AWD is that power is distributed equally to all tires such that if that vehicle loses traction under any of its tires, this extra power provides the boost needed to keep the particular tire(s) from sliding or spinning. Obviously tire spin isn't going to occur unless the vehicle is in motion so again, I don't understand what you explained, it doesn't make sense to me at all.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Misread what you wrote. It just seems like every time I log on there is another post complaining about this feature and about that feature.

Please, please, please spare us, if you REALLY hate the vehicle, go trade it in. You are one of the VERY few, if only, person Ive ever seen complain this much about a new vehicle. My best friends have an '03 Escape and they cant wait to get back from Belgium to buy a Terrain after driving ours for a day last time they were home.

It seriously sounds like you have a bad case of buyers remorse.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Also AWD is NOT THE SAME as manually engaged 4WD of Escape. THe AWD is on demand activating only when needed, otherwise it's 9:1 ratio.

G

·
Acually the Michelin Latitude tour tires are top notch and get high ratings...these are what I run for for my winters and summer tires.
If you get the Ford escape make sure it's the newly re-designed one...I'm not sure if it's officially released yet but should be anytime soon. Would hate to buy the outgoing model and then it looks the same as the other one that's 5 years old already.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Alberta_Girl said:
Thanks to all who responded, particularly to the kind person who advised that there should be a tag on the tailgate. And thank GOD, the tag did say AWD.

This morning was the first morning I drove my Terrain in winter/snow/icy conditions. I nearly spun on backing out of my driveway. Had maybe 3 inches of snow overnight. My old Escape would have driven down the driveway like nothin'. I wasn't going fast but go to a point where I could tell that if I kept driving backwards, I'd have started to spin (terrible traction), so I had to go forward and drive out the side of my driveway. So much for AWD.

My Terrain came with new Michelin Lattitude Tour (supposedly All Season) tires, which I did think were crap compared to the great "all weather" Nokian tires I had on my Escape. The Michelin's didn't strike me, judging by the tread design, to be good in snow. I have an order in for the Nokians.

It was a white-knuckle drive on the highway into work. I felt I had really lousy control on the icy/snow-covered highway. Like night and day compared to my Escape. I remembered the "traction control" thingmabob and I turned it on for the drive home. It was a super slow drive so not terribly sure if it made a big difference.

All I can say is that driving the Terrain was nothing like driving my Escape. I rarely put my Escape into 4WD, and even when it wasn't, winter driving was a breeze and I always felt secure and like I had good control. I surely didn't feel that way today in my Terrain. How does a person even know when AWD is working? (if it needs to)

Does the Traction Control feature really make a difference with wheel spin?
the traction control feature is on by default. If you turn it off it will come back on next time you start the vehicle. You must have turned it off when you pressed the button.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
She lives in Canada. Winter tires should be on the vehicle regardless and I know in some provinces that its illegal to not run winter tires.

·
Registered
698 Posts
bballr4567 said:
She lives in Canada. Winter tires should be on the vehicle regardless and I know in some provinces that its illegal to not run winter tires.
Painting with a broad brush, are we? So you're saying those that live in Vancouver should have winter ties on all vehicles just because Vancouver's in Canada? ::)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Terrain said:
Painting with a broad brush, are we? So you're saying those that live in Vancouver should have winter ties on all vehicles just because Vancouver's in Canada? ::)
So ONE city in all of Canada might not need tires (but it might due to lower temps) doesnt mean that 99% of Canada should have snow tires.

Plus, Im assuming here of course, that Alberta Girl doesnt live in Vancouver. ::)

·
Registered
698 Posts
bballr4567 said:
So ONE city in all of Canada might not need tires (but it might due to lower temps) doesnt mean that 99% of Canada should have snow tires.

Plus, Im assuming here of course, that Alberta Girl doesnt live in Vancouver. ::)
You implied that ALL Canadians should have winter tires. That's just not true and illustrates a lack of knowledge of the vastly varied geography and climate of the country of Canada.

It's OK... just a bit annoying that most non-Canadians think we get around on dog sleds and snowmobiles.

Very few people I know bother to put winter rubber on their vehicles and still manage to get through the winter just fine. It's just a non-issue. A little bit of grey matter between the ears is really all that's needed drive in even the harshest winter conditions.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Sure thing then.

Winter tires arent just for snow. They are designed to deal with the harsher temps which turn all season tires rubber a tad bit harder and are harder to drive on. Even here in lowly ole southern Indiana, I noticed a huge difference from driving on winter tires in 10-20 F temps and the all seasons I replaced them with.

Just because you can drink drunk 20 times and not have trouble doesnt mean you really should right?

Winter tires help in winter. If they didnt, they wouldnt be made. Just my opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts