GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I noticed a post here somewhere that the Equinox has a 5-day weather forecast on the HVAC info display.
I checked the wife's SLT-2 Terrain by pressing the info button.
It shows the temp, fan speed and air flow directions, whether the vehicle is ruunning or the key is in the accessories (old school lingo? LOL) position.
There's a button on the Touch Screen at the top left labeled "HVAC" but it's "greyed out", not red in colour and when pressed, emits a little beep but does nothing else.

The Terrain was purchased off the Dealer lot in late September, 2009.
Maybe a firmware update is required or is this an "Equinox only" option?
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I thought you needed the(XM) radio for traffic updates and the extended weather..Not sure..I did not get my Terrain yet but I thought I read that somewhere here in TerrainForum

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Is there a 5-day weather forecast on Terrain HVAC info screen or Equinox onl

nitti48 said:
I thought you needed the(XM) radio for traffic updates and the extended weather..Not sure..I did not get my Terrain yet but I thought I read that somewhere here in TerrainForum
Yes, we do have the XM and have extended it beyond the 90 day trial for one year.
It works out to about $10/month, taxes in, CAN funds with the incentive they had.
We did not get traffic or weather, however.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Is there a 5-day weather forecast on Terrain HVAC info screen or Equinox onl

SnowItch said:
You do need to purchase the option from XM. You can get the option as part of the trial, but whomever sets up the system (usually the dealer), has to ask for it.

In my nox, after pushing the info button, and viewing the days weather info, there is an additional Menu button. When I press that button (on the screen), I'm given an option for "Extended Weather Forecast".

On an additional note, you can get the weather and the traffic updates from XM for 7.00 a month (billed at $21 every three months). If you like the traffic as much as I do (saved me HUGE amounts of time the last trip I took - easily payed for itself), you can call XM and get a 5-year package for about $4.90 a month (you have to pay the entire amount upfront).

I'm a stick my nose out the window, or just rely on the pain in my knees, type of guy when it comes to the weather, but my wife loves the long term forcast.

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Does your model of the Terrain have the "Automated" temperature control (i.e. you can set the temp at 72, and the vehicle will keep it there)? If not, then I would imagine that is why the HVAC is greyed out.[/size][/size][/color]
Yes, we have the "AUTO" temp control, set it and forget it.
That's funny you mention the pain in the knees, I pretty much rely on the same thing, including most other joints any more.
LOL!
Thanks for the quick feedback.
Now, I'm curious, is it a graphical representation of the 5-day forecast such as what you'd see online?
Example below.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

SnowItch said:
It is graphical and very similar to what you have posted (in gray scale, of course). It is very easy to tell what the forecast is with a quick glance.
Sweet, maybe if XM, Sirius whoever they are, offer a nice package including weather and traffic next year, we'll take them up on it.
Thanks for the info, SnowItch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know I saw the extended forecast on our Terrain, but now am only getting the current days. I have the free 3 month XM trial right now.....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

redlight_005 said:
I know I saw the extended forecast on our Terrain, but now am only getting the current days. I have the free 3 month XM trial right now.....
Our 3 month ran out the end of December but I don't recall ever seeing it, not even at the dealer.
Then again, it was so new the Sales Rep didn't know all that much about the Infotainment himself.
Not knocking the Sales Rep, by any means, mind you.:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My "info" page is not updating the weather at all now, it's leaving all information blank as if it's not connected to XM. XM radio does work though. The "menu" button is grayed out, which is where the 5 day weather should be I believe. We have a service appointment date for Tuesday.....will let you know what they find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
redlight_005 said:
My "info" page is not updating the weather at all now, it's leaving all information blank as if it's not connected to XM. XM radio does work though. The "menu" button is grayed out, which is where the 5 day weather should be I believe. We have a service appointment date for Tuesday.....will let you know what they find.
XM Radio, XM Traffic, and XM Weather are three separate services with the later two needing to be enabled on your account for them to work in the car. When I added the Terrain radio to our existing account the XM Customer Service Rep didn't re-enable those two features and I figured this out one feature at a time creating the need for two separate phone calls to XM (which is a major hassle with that company).

Perhaps XM Weather was disabled on your account for some reason.

·
Registered
111 Posts
OhioX14 said:
XM Radio, XM Traffic, and XM Weather are three separate services with the later two needing to be enabled on your account for them to work in the car. When I added the Terrain radio to our existing account the XM Customer Service Rep didn't re-enable those two features and I figured this out one feature at a time creating the need for two separate phone calls to XM (which is a major hassle with that company).

Perhaps XM Weather was disabled on your account for some reason.
You are right, it was disabled.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I had to make some changes on my XM account this morning.

Took a while but the rep was great.

Cancelled the Acadia. Transferred my wifes Altima to my account and made primary and took over residual of my prepaid plan.

I asked about NAV traffic and weather.

$3.99/mo for one of them, $7.00/mo for both on top of whatever your monthly plan is.

She didnt tell me about any discounts for long term plans.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Since I pick up my new Terrain tomorrow morning, I asked the Sales Guy to activate Traffic and Weather as well as the radio. Read in the threads here that's it's a hassle getting Weather and Traffic added after initial activation. Hope he gets it right. I've got the Sirius package in the BMW and that was a huge pain in the butt to get going after dealer didn't get activation right. Got a full year for free though!! Can't wait to start playing around with all those buttons/dials/thingamabobs.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks SnowItch. I was pretty clear with the Sales Guy, but he does speak English. We'll se how this works out. Did the XM operator speak a language you understood?

·
Registered
277 Posts
I find that having reached my 60's, I'm either getting very hard of hearing, very selective in my hearing, or just a little indignant when trying to communicate in the language I grew up with. Now if they spoke french, I could do ok as well. Thanks again for your help kind sir.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've found very wide ranges of help from XM folks. It's amazing that if you can't get anywhere, just hang up and try your call again. Usually the next call is at least a little different.

Our 'Nox has the XM turned on for the dealer show. All features, and we haven't activated it yet. I'm wondering how long that will last... (shhh! don't tell 'em we're doing this. :) )

·
Registered
265 Posts
Me too in my lower sixties..I say if you live in the United States please speak English....and please Speak it Good..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts