1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
441 Posts
i dont buy the subbie test saying it senses slipping at the rear and transfers power...how would it if its being pulled by the front......it uses the front 1st just like everyone....its just a matter of the differential.....

and the 1 tire with traction, i dont buy either, because you dont know about weight distribution, or even tire choice.....

i dont doubt subbies awd system...cause thats what your paying for.....

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input.
More comments welcome of course!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I enjoy watching my neighbors get stuck multiple times a winter in their driveway with their Subaru's. It doesn't matter how good the AWD system is when there isn't any ground clearance. It makes for hours of entertainment at any rate :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow that was very interesting. Too bad ours probably doesn't have enough power to move us if we are going up a slight incline like the Toyota and Honda.

Maybe I should have gotten the sunroof instead and spent some money on winter tires. Oh well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It makes me wonder what would have happened if the traction control (Stabilitrac, ESP, etc.) button were turned off as most owner's manuals suggest when driving slowly in deep snow?

It would have likely allowed more power to the rear wheels because the slipping front wheels would not have invoked a throttle reduction, lowering overall power to the drivetrain.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I can't get the video to play???

·
Registered
830 Posts
The AWD from the nox/terrain is a symetrical like subaru. And if i remember correctly its a AWD system from SAAB... but im not 100% sure about this one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mnussbaum said:
I can't get the video to play???
Update your Adobe software maybe, works fine here.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SuperMat64 said:
The AWD from the nox/terrain is a symetrical like subaru. And if i remember correctly its a AWD system from SAAB... but im not 100% sure about this one.
Good to know, thanks SuperMat!

·
Registered
626 Posts
(Today the video played no problem.) Very interesting! Personally I'm not sold that the AWD is symmetrical...there's nothing on Chevy's website to that effect. Does anyone have an underbody shot of the drive axles front and rear?

·
Registered
698 Posts
mnussbaum said:
(Today the video played no problem.) Very interesting! Personally I'm not sold that the AWD is symmetrical...there's nothing on Chevy's website to that effect. Does anyone have an underbody shot of the drive axles front and rear?
Oracle has photos of the undercarriage of an AWD on here somewhere... maybe check the gallery.

The AWD system in the Thetas shouldn't be confused with the Haldex system in the SRX... that's a horse of a different colour.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ugh...oracle doesn't have an album in the gallery and I don't know how to search his posts for photos.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
518 Posts
No locking differential in the front or rear. No transfer case, just a set of torque limiting clutches that will slip if the rear have full traction and the front axle has little traction. The net result is spinning one front and one rear tire at best. Or spinning just one front tire.
Any "limited slip" is just throttle reduction and applying wheel brakes to the spinning wheel.
These are just a light duty "urban warrior" "family van" dressed up as a 4X4.
Better than 2WD? Yes. Can it compare to a European or Jap SUV with Torsen central,front and rear differentials. Or to a real $X$ pickup with the G80 locking diff. No even close.
Good enough for 99% of the drivers for 99% of the road they drive, yes. That is what the marketing department decides so the company can juggle sticker price, production expenses, profit and customer satisfaction.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts