GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Re: Re: Is techron snake oil?

EquinoxTN said:
Techron is a good product as well as Seafoam. I prefer Seafoam on the older cars. Here is a tutorial that I wrote: - http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/67-engine-a-drivetrain/fuel-system/241-cleaning-the-fuel-system-with-seafoam - for my Reatta website about how to use it on those cars. It dies a great job of cleaning the plenum an keeping the injectors clean. It will apply to a lot of other cars of that era.

I intend to use Techron in my Equinox at each oil change. That was recommended to me by a friend who is the service manager at my local GM dealership. Another thing he recommends to keep the valves clean is "Nail the gas pedal to the floor about once a week and let is shift on it's own through the first three gears." He said that it won't hurt the engine and he said it will a good job of keeping the carbon from building up on the valves.
I didn't read your link. Did you have any 'proof' like the before after shots which were in the video?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re: Re: Is techron snake oil?

WVUTampaAlum said:
I didn't read your link. Did you have any 'proof' like the before after shots which were in the video?
If you didn't bother to read my link I see no reason to offer any proof of anything.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: Re: Re: Is techron snake oil?

EquinoxTN said:
If you didn't bother to read my link I see no reason to offer any proof of anything.
I don't need instructions on how to apply seafoam or other treatments. Besides you think it did something did you have any video evidence like borriscope of the cylinders or valves? How about spreadsheet of mpg for the last year of the vehicle and now mpg bump after application?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
For whatever it's worth: I don't do my Techron treatments at oil changes because I expect like a 1 mpg improvement after the oil change.
I do the Techron treatments in hopes that after 100k miles, my mpg didn't drop as far down as an engine that would without treatments. Or really, more importantly, that the deposits do not build as severely to trigger engine DTC.

No offense WVUTampaAlum, but to me it's unrealistic to expect an engine treatment to show significant improvement in mpg after a treatment. And if you're trying to treat an engine with lots of deposits - you're too late.
To me it's ridiculous to expect a video or photo showing "proof" the fuel additive helped after one dose.

Techron Concentrate is $8.50 at Amazon now. (Often there are special deals for less at local stores.) One dose every 5k miles means $170 over 100k miles. (With my local specials, I'll spend ≈$100 over 100k miles.)
Engine dis-assembly and de-carboning costs a lot more than $170.

I expect my engine is clean with very little deposits now, and I intend to keep it this way. Being realistic - I've wasted more than $100 on other ridiculous purchases! :beer:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have never had any proof of SeaFoam or any sort of visual clues to help out. I have, on the other hand, see for my self on my personal vehicles that SeaFoam makes a difference. My "new" truck had 90K miles on it when I bought it. I drove it for a few tank fulls right away and got about 12 MPG (average). I did my first oil change after owning it for about 1K miles, and poured in a can of SeaFoam in the gas. I've done it every oil change on my cars/trucks since I was a kid. On the first tank of gas, I gained 2 MPG. And so that I don't lose that extra 2 MPG, I continue to run a can at every oil change.

In another car, I did the 3 cleaning method. I put it in the gas, the oil, and down the intake. It actually helped that car simply run smoother. I don't think I really gained MPGs on that car, but the whole acceleration curve actually felt like a smooth curve.

I'ver never used techron, but I have already run a can of SeaFoam through my new Nox. Being a FlexFuel vehicle, I may just run a tank of E85 once in a while.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Chas said:
No offense WVUTampaAlum, but to me it's unrealistic to expect an engine treatment to show significant improvement in mpg after a treatment. And if you're trying to treat an engine with lots of deposits - you're too late.
To me it's ridiculous to expect a video or photo showing "proof" the fuel additive helped after one dose.
I couldn't have said it any better.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Buggsy said:
I have never had any proof of SeaFoam or any sort of visual clues to help out. I have, on the other hand, see for my self on my personal vehicles that SeaFoam makes a difference. My "new" truck had 90K miles on it when I bought it. I drove it for a few tank fulls right away and got about 12 MPG (average). I did my first oil change after owning it for about 1K miles, and poured in a can of SeaFoam in the gas. I've done it every oil change on my cars/trucks since I was a kid. On the first tank of gas, I gained 2 MPG. And so that I don't lose that extra 2 MPG, I continue to run a can at every oil change.

In another car, I did the 3 cleaning method. I put it in the gas, the oil, and down the intake. It actually helped that car simply run smoother. I don't think I really gained MPGs on that car, but the whole acceleration curve actually felt like a smooth curve.

I'ver never used techron, but I have already run a can of SeaFoam through my new Nox. Being a FlexFuel vehicle, I may just run a tank of E85 once in a while.
What you describe is why most people use SeaFoam. When you do the fuel system cleaning and add it to a tank of gas, it isn't unusual to experience a smoother idle and better throttle response on a vehicle that's never had it done before. Older cars like my '88 Buick Reatta, that isn't driven on a regular basis, benefits from adding a can of SeaFoam to the gas at each oil change to keep it running smoothly. I do the intake cleaning procedure about once a year. I've never checked to see if SeaFoam improves the mileage.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to use Techron or SeaFoam in my Nox v6 with the direct injection.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Back in 2011- I Posted this on another forum..........

-----------------------------------------
So this is on our 2007 Impala.
Since the missus took over the Traverse-
I now drive the Impala- and of course Ive been keeping a tab on data.
With about 46,400 miles I took 'control' of car.

Odometer gal trip Hand MPG DIC MPG
46,479 14.3 305.6 21.3 22.6
46,829 15.5 346.7 22.3 23.5
47,185 [/color] 14.6 359.3 24.6 25.4
47,549 15.3 363.7 23.7 25.1
47,848 12.5 299.1 23.9 25.7
48,067 9.2 218.6 23.7 25.6
48,328 10.8 260.6 24.1 26.1

Note the jump in MPG's at 47,185.
why?

At 47185 I added Techron, and once that tank was over- I changed air filter, oil,oil filter and cleaned the throttle body.
About a 1.5 to 2 MPG increase--- pretty nice I think.

·
Registered
10,591 Posts
rbarrios

I think that you have proven that you are a much better "hypermiler" than most people - including your wife.

Also, I see that you get about a 2 MPG optimist prediction from your DIC versus the hand calculation - like I do. Do you ever ask the dealer about it ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I use techron a few times a year. I know bunch of people on the forum live on this stuff.

Found this great video testing techron. Guy even uses a boriscope in every cylinder before and after testing. I was always a little skeptical of techron and after this my feeling is that techron is snake oil.

Check this guys other videos out. He tests lucas fuel cleaner, seafoam and others.

Does Techron Fuel System Cleaner Actually Work? (with PROOF):
Fuel system cleaner is not a carbon removal!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought my '13 Nox 3.6 with 75,000km on it over 5 years ago, after reading things on this forum I have faithfully used top tier gas. I have used Techron for years and did so on the Nox. I did the Seafoam treatment shortly after getting it and was a but surprised that I didn't get as much white smoke as most videos showed. I took this to indicate the intake and valves were pretty clean. Keep in mind I do overwhelmingly highway driving.

I kept up the top tier gas and Techron and when I changed the plugs and had the intake off I checked the valves and verified they looked good. With Covid I could not get Techron in Canada and ran out last year sometime. Having just got across the border I went to see family in Fla and noticed a wee bit of rough idle here and there. I had decided to use premium Shell and Mobil gas in effort to clean things up a bit. I averaged @ 23 MPG while mostly cruising between 75 and 90 MPH on the trip which was about 2400 miles.

When I got back to PA I grabbed some Techron and put it in, the idle smoothed right out. Not scientific by any means but over a few decades I have had consistent good results with Techron. BTW, my Nox now has @ 342,000km (@213,000 miles) and thanks to Techron it is now purring like a kitten again. snake oil or good luck charm? Beats me, but for me it works.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 170.5k miles
4,080 Posts
@ricklack : closing in on induction to “The 62 Club”! Love it! Congrats!

As for Techron, Seafoam, and the like - I’ve never put either in my 2011 Nox, and I just recently crossed 170,000 miles (with original factory spark plugs, no less!). And not a drop of “top tier” gas, either: all Walmart/Murphy’s or Flying-J 87 octane. But my Nox lives in a warmer climate, and it has made 50, 900-mile, one-way drives in its lifetime (to colder climate, BTW), and I think running it hot on the Interstate like that might make the debate over whether to use Techron, Seafoam, and Top Tier gas, or not, moot!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts