GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use techron a few times a year. I know bunch of people on the forum live on this stuff.

Found this great video testing techron. Guy even uses a boriscope in every cylinder before and after testing. I was always a little skeptical of techron and after this my feeling is that techron is snake oil.

Check this guys other videos out. He tests lucas fuel cleaner, seafoam and others.

Does Techron Fuel System Cleaner Actually Work? (with PROOF): https://youtu.be/h8i9qftqKNY

·
Registered
183 Posts
2013 FWD I4. Since the first 1,000 miles, always using Exxon Regular, a Top Tier gasoline. Also always in Eco mode with fast upshifts = low revs all the time - never saw >3,000 RPM. By 20,000 miles, I saw lower mpgs and increased lugging vibrations when accelerating at low rpms. Added a 20 ounce bottle of Techron, added about 15 gallons of gas; drove down about 12 gallons and filled up. Results? Much less lugging sounds, about 2 mpg more [from 23 to 25 mpg in mixed driving]. As part of the treatment, I wound it up past 4,000 several times. I still question whether any fuel system treatment can deal with carbon deposits before the combustion chamber - the throttle body and the intake valves. But I'll bet my injectors and cylinders are real clean now. Bottom line - Techron is worth using, although the GDI engine designers need to better solve the carbon problem. Otherwise we'll go back to the 1950's when valve jobs at 50,000 miles were routine.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Techtron is a high quality product. It does what it does, but it's not a cure all.

My V-6 gets a little 'fuzzy' every so often, maybe twice a year. I dump a can of Seafoam in the tank and it clears up by next fill-up.

I don't see a point of over use of fuel system cleaners, it can affect the seals, etc...

I use top tier gasoline as well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've owned my 2014 Terrain I4 for about two months now and I noticed the egine could be a little rough around the edges when first starting up and coming to a stop at lights and I just dumped a can of BG 44K into the tank and I definitely feel the engine to be a little bit smoother. Seems like these I4 direct injection engines really respond and need fuel cleaners every so often. At least thats my experience, but then again I've only been a GMC owner for 60 days.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Watched the excellent video, disappointed in the meager results. However - he tested a FI, not a DI engine; the issue of getting the carbon off the valves is not addressed. Also, he didn't use top tier gas at all.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Top tier gas likely wouldn't have made much difference in the short term of the test.

The pouring it through the brake boost idea in a different video would work I think.
If there was a spray version, it could be added at the throttle body.
A small tube siphon set up might work as well.

Seafoam and BG products are both well thought of in shade tree mechanic land.

·
Registered
143 Posts
dwendt44 said:
Top tier gas likely wouldn't have made much difference in the short term of the test.

The pouring it through the brake boost idea in a different video would work I think.
If there was a spray version, it could be added at the throttle body.
A small tube siphon set up might work as well.

Seafoam and BG products are both well thought of in shade tree mechanic land.
Found this page that spoke to your point, and has good info. I'm no mechanic but this info seems logical.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm

·
Registered
183 Posts
ImminentFailure said:
Found this page that spoke to your point, and has good info. I'm no mechanic but this info seems logical.
http://www.aa1car.com/library/intake_valve_deposits_gdi_engines.htm
Some good points. Frequent 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil changes using synthetic oil should reduce the intake valve deposits. I'm for that. PCV catch cans help, too. And, of course, we can get inside the intake manifold with Seafoam and such. Every 25,000 miles or so. I'm more than capable of doing all these things. However, the average owner is looking at $450.00 "Throttle Body Service" every couple of years or so. This is ridiculous, IMO. It reminds me of the bad old days of short blocks and complete engine rebuilds < 100,000 miles. We're talking about modern engines here, the cheapest of which is easily capable of 200,000 miles of good service with just routine oil and filter changes. I feel for the engineers who have to solve this problem.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
oldtux said:
Some good points. Frequent 3,000 to 5,000 mile oil changes using synthetic oil should reduce the intake valve deposits. I'm for that. PCV catch cans help, too. And, of course, we can get inside the intake manifold with Seafoam and such. Every 25,000 miles or so. I'm more than capable of doing all these things. However, the average owner is looking at $450.00 "Throttle Body Service" every couple of years or so. This is ridiculous, IMO. It reminds me of the bad old days of short blocks and complete engine rebuilds < 100,000 miles. We're talking about modern engines here, the cheapest of which is easily capable of 200,000 miles of good service with just routine oil and filter changes. I feel for the engineers who have to solve this problem.
Good points . . . . agree 100%.
And at least one owner here , rbarrios, has two 3.6L V6 equipped vehicles with +30K to +70K miles on them ans so far no apparent issues. He does live in a warmer climate and I think less moisture, no cold weather starts probably reduce the potential deposits. He also uses Techron every 5K to 7K miles on each vehicle.

Not to hijack, but our 2015 3.6L Equinox just turned over about 4,400 miles with the Oil Catch can on it new since less than 100 miles. I have emptied it twice now ( 1,400 & 3,300 miles) and will do so again shortly to see what it accumulated. The first time it had a lot of yellow oil/water emulsion. The last time when driving all highway miles (1,600) it has just a little yellow emulsion but it also caught about 2 ounces of blowby oil that would have gone into the intake manifold and onto the valves.

Yes, Direct Injection is a plus efficiency wise, but engineers still have some wasy to go with it. Unless now, the dealers get to charge average non DIY customers with valve cleaning every 30k miles or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It works great for what it is advertised to do, fuel injector cleaner, it is not a upper cylinder or valve cleaner.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
DoubleNox said:
It works great for what it is advertised to do, fuel injector cleaner, it is not a upper cylinder or valve cleaner.
There are two Techron products. I did not know that either till recently.

There is Techron Fuel Injection Cleaner and then there is Techron Fuel System - Concentrate cleaner. That later comes in 15 and 20 ounce bottles and is supposed to clean the whole system and help remove combustion chamber carbon deposits and valve deposits. That said, there is some question on whether the cleaner will do much for DI engines since not much, if any, fuel get to "wash" the back side of intake valves.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
yes use it on my 3 vehicles.

2003 Trailblazer 4.2L - 174,000
2010 Traverse-3.6L 95,000
2013 Equinox- 3.6L 34,000

Techron is great at removing the Carbon that causes Cold Carbon Knock on the 4.2s.
On cold engine starts- the engine knocks. Once it warms up- its quiet......
Run a bottle of techron- and the knock goes away.

Trailblazer- Valvoline 5W-30 dino @ 11,500 mile oil change intervals
Traverse- Valvoline 5W-30 dino @ 5,000 miles oil change intervals
Equinox- Pennzoil Plat.5W-30 @ 7,000 mile oil change intervals.

all return excellent MPG.

Techron is great for keeping the fuel level senders clean (Trailblazers were known for this).

So far- no CEL's on my Traverse related to engine misfires due to carbon buildup.
Ill hit 100,000 in the next 6 months.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I throw a bottle of the GM Fuel Treatment+ in every other oil change or so since its recommended in the manual to do so as I do not always get top tier fuel. I've heard that this is actually a rebrand of the Techron Fuel System treatment (which is a lot cheaper). Does anyone have any corroboration on this being the same product?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found this other great video. This guy has a ton of awesome videos too. Guy is a bit quirky but for a great laugh watch the video 'why not to buy a mercedes' and after you watch that go out and give your equi/terr a hug!

He tests gumout multi system fuel cleaner and shows before after shots with a boriscope as well. I think he said he did 3 tanks in a row with gumout. These results look good.

Fuel Cleaners And Your Car: https://youtu.be/gg9ppeUMpK4

·
Registered
183 Posts
WVUTampaAlum said:
I found this other great video. This guy has a ton of awesome videos too. Guy is a bit quirky but for a great laugh watch the video 'why not to buy a mercedes' and after you watch that go out and give your equi/terr a hug!

He tests gumout multi system fuel cleaner and shows before after shots with a boriscope as well. I think he said he did 3 tanks in a row with gumout. These results look gook.

Fuel Cleaners And Your Car: https://youtu.be/gg9ppeUMpK4

Good video. Note: The guy works for Gumout, but that's Ok b/c the Gumout cleaner seems similar to Techron in action. Still no solution to the valve fouling problem. Thanks for posting WV.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Techron is a good product as well as Seafoam. I prefer Seafoam on the older cars. Here is a tutorial that I wrote: - http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/67-engine-a-drivetrain/fuel-system/241-cleaning-the-fuel-system-with-seafoam - for my Reatta website about how to use it on those cars. It dies a great job of cleaning the plenum an keeping the injectors clean. It will apply to a lot of other cars of that era.

I intend to use Techron in my Equinox at each oil change. That was recommended to me by a friend who is the service manager at my local GM dealership. Another thing he recommends to keep the valves clean is "Nail the gas pedal to the floor about once a week and let is shift on it's own through the first three gears." He said that it won't hurt the engine and he said it will a good job of keeping the carbon from building up on the valves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
EquinoxTN said:
Techron is a good product as well as Seafoam. I prefer Seafoam on the older cars. Here is a tutorial that I wrote: - http://reattaowner.com/roj/component/content/article/67-engine-a-drivetrain/fuel-system/241-cleaning-the-fuel-system-with-seafoam - for my Reatta website about how to use it on those cars. It does a great job of cleaning the plenum an keeping the injectors clean if used often. The tutorial will apply to a lot of other cars of that era.

I intend to use Techron in my Equinox at each oil change. That was recommended to me by a friend who is the service manager at my local GM dealership. Another thing he recommends to keep the valves clean is "Nail the gas pedal to the floor about once a week and let is shift on it's own through the first three gears." He said that it won't hurt the engine and he said it will a good job of keeping the carbon from building up on the valves.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts