GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm a newbie and just purchased a 2012 Nox, 1LT level with no gps. I'm wondering if there is anything different for navigation besides the software. The LCD screen is there and since I can get nav through OnStar there is a GPS receiver installed. Just curious if anyone knows what else there is between a model with and without navigation, and if that's all there is, how do i get my hands on that install file, haha

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
kain2thebrain said:
so I'm a newbie and just purchased a 2012 Nox, 1LT level with no gps. I'm wondering if there is anything different for navigation besides the software. The LCD screen is there and since I can get nav through OnStar there is a GPS receiver installed. Just curious if anyone knows what else there is between a model with and without navigation, and if that's all there is, how do i get my hands on that install file, haha
Nice try, but you need a lot more than software - much hardware, in fact.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
kain2thebrain said:
What hardware? Not doubting you just curious what is missing.
It just seems that there must be more than just software - otherwise, it could be sold for $10 - although it wouldn't ! First off, do you have a DVD reader ? I would think that mapping data must be more than what can fit on a CD. Is your screen high enough resolution to be able to display streets, etc. Although, you probably have a lot of the parts needed, because they are offering a GPS-lite for $700 or so on the '12s compared to a couple grand on the '11s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RIT333 said:
It just seems that there must be more than just software - otherwise, it could be sold for $10 - although it wouldn't ! First off, do you have a DVD reader ? I would think that mapping data must be more than what can fit on a CD. Is you screen high enough resolution to be ab;e to display street, etc. Although, you probably have a lot of the parts needed, because they are offering a GPS-lite for $700 or so on the '12s compared to a couple grand on the '11s.
And that's why i'm curious. The screen resolution is definitely good enough for maps. As far as the DVD drive, that is a no go, but there is a USB connection that is used both for ipod/mp3 and software updates (a little browse of the touchscreen menu will show this option).

It is possible that there is a relay of some sort required, or a hard drive or some other interface that isn't there. But i test drove a Nox with nave and the only difference i could see physically is with the level of software installed. I can only hope that i'm right and somehow I get my hands on the NAV software. In the meantime, I'm waiting for the release of MyLink with Pandora.

·
Registered
89 Posts
there is a hard drive with the NAV system, that is where all the map info is stored. on my 2010 it was 30GB.

·
Registered
89 Posts
thanks, Amp, I have not seen a 2012 NAV, I am just going on what others have said. What else can you do with the SD memory? Can you play songs and podcasts loaded onto an SD card?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts