GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I may have answered my own question (as awesome as you guys are, Google is still quicker); but I'll finish asking in case I'm missing something.

Just playing around with the app during my free month, wondering which features do, and do not, work without a subscription? I know I'll lose remote unlock and start; but the navigation "send to in-dash navigation" seems potentially useful, since you can't enter any address while the car is in motion (even if I'm the passenger).
Vehicle status, tire check...does the app do anything without OnStar?

We just purchased a '17 Terrain; that got us the V6, but no Apple/Android Carplay. Just can't have everything we want. But it only had 19k miles and looks like it just rolled off the assembly line, so was hard to pass up.

·
Registered
511 Posts
For vehicle status and remote access features, you need to be an Onstar customer.

If you don't have Onstar, the app only offers very limited, basic features such as access to the owner's manual, scheduling service, and calling roadside assistance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We have removed it from our phones once our new car service ended a few years later. It was handy to be able to remote start when well outside of remote range for sure, but it without a doubt wasn't worth paying the price for OnStar for it. I liked being able to send addresses to the NAV, but at this point the maps are so outdated, the NAV system is mostly useless to us and we just use our phones.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Onstar does offer a $15/mo "Remote Access" plan to keep the app functional. For $0.50/day it isn't a horrible deal. One has to wonder if calling Onstar and negotiating the price would result in a discount for the "Remote Access".

·
Registered
109 Posts
$15/mo....for access to basic web services....now if they offered this to me for $50 a year, I'd start getting interested again.

$15/mo x 12 months = $180/yr x 8yr = $1440 (general lifespan of vehicles at my house)

Nope. I will use my remote and AAA. I am waaaaaay too cheap to pay any additional subscription fees for things. :p The last thing I want to deal with is negotiation costs...I mean that is part of the problem of Sirius/XM...their base price is insanely high, they don't get competitive without lots of negotiation, and then I have to rinse and repeat this every 3-6 months? Nope.

I will be highly annoyed in a couple of years with my Volvo when my initial VOC subscription ends. At that point, I will continue my rants towards Volvo and their stupid decisions and hope they throw me a discount to renew.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. I will use my remote and AAA. I am waaaaaay too cheap to pay any additional subscription fees for things. :p The last thing I want to deal with is negotiation costs...I mean that is part of the problem of Sirius/XM...their base price is insanely high, they don't get competitive without lots of negotiation, and then I have to rinse and repeat this every 3-6 months? Nope.
Exactly; I pay enough subscriptions as it is, I don't need one just so I can remote-start my car; same with SiriusXM. I'll take the free month(s), but essentially they're not doing anything my phone can't do. (Granted, when we take trips into the mountains or to L.A., there are way-too-many areas where radio and cell coverage are non-existent. If I was driving enough, this might be worth it.)

There's no need on their part to negotiate because essentially, both of those companies have no competition; there's no option of someone else if you don't like OnStar or SiriusXm's prices.

And is it just me, or does music on SiriusXM not sound as good as it should? Like the bass player wasn't there that day?

·
Registered
109 Posts
And is it just me, or does music on SiriusXM not sound as good as it should? Like the bass player wasn't there that day?
Their compression is so aggressive, it kills most enjoyment. I know it seems to depend on what vehicle I listen in. My TL was ok, my wife's Terrain sounds like arse, and my Volvo doesn't sound too bad....but that depends on what station I listen to. Then again, my trial is over, so I don't really care anymore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I pay $6.77 a month for the remote access plan. I’m close to renewing and I can get it for $8.37 on my web account. The plan is to call , cancel and they will offer it for what I paid before. At least that is what they did the last 2 times. I do have to pay for 12 months. Mix of free stuff that you can do.​
  • I have used the amazon key option if I didn’t want the wife to see I bought her something. (Free)
  • When in rush I tell Alexa to start my vehicle so it’s warm or cool before I go out.
  • Few times I wanted to check to see if I needed to get gas since I drive like twice a week now.
  • Sometimes I want to check my tire pressure. I regularly maintain my tires.
  • Easily access my reward points.(free)
  • Few times I have wanted to check something in the manual and can access it in the app (free)
  • Obviously cool down or heat up when I am at work via the app. I hate hot or cold cars.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Their compression is so aggressive, it kills most enjoyment. I know it seems to depend on what vehicle I listen in. My TL was ok, my wife's Terrain sounds like arse, and my Volvo doesn't sound too bad....but that depends on what station I listen to. Then again, my trial is over, so I don't really care anymore.
just wait until you get older. Then your hearing dynamic range has deteriorated so much the SiriusXM compression no longer affects the sound quality. 🙂

·
Registered
511 Posts
I pay $6.77 a month for the remote access plan. I’m close to renewing and I can get it for $8.37 on my web account. The plan is to call , cancel and they will offer it for what I paid before. At least that is what they did the last 2 times. I do have to pay for 12 months. Mix of free stuff that you can do.​
  • I have used the amazon key option if I didn’t want the wife to see I bought her something. (Free)
  • When in rush I tell Alexa to start my vehicle so it’s warm or cool before I go out.
  • Few times I wanted to check to see if I needed to get gas since I drive like twice a week now.
  • Sometimes I want to check my tire pressure. I regularly maintain my tires.
  • Easily access my reward points.(free)
  • Few times I have wanted to check something in the manual and can access it in the app (free)
  • Obviously cool down or heat up when I am at work via the app. I hate hot or cold cars.

All of this can be done for free without the app.

Use the Amazon app for Amazon key orders.

Use the remote start button on the car's fob.

Use the fuel gauge and tire pressure display in the car. The app only shows you what it was the last time the car was on anyway. It isn't exactly real-time.

Download and save the manual as a PDF on your phone and look at it whenever you want.

Check your rewards points via the web browser on your phone.

Simply call the dealer or schedule an appointment via the dealer's website. No need for an app to do that either.

These connectivity apps are just cash grabs to coax people in to paying a monthly fee for items that are otherwise available for free elsewhere.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just playing around with the app during my free month, wondering which features do, and do not, work without a subscription? I know I'll lose remote unlock and start; but the navigation "send to in-dash navigation" seems potentially useful, since you can't enter any address while the car is in motion (even if I'm the passenger).
Vehicle status, tire check...does the app do anything without OnStar?
I don't know if it requires the app or an OnStar subscription but I've twice received a text when ABS and StabiliTrak disabled themselves while we were towing our Equinox behind our motorhome. Those aren't a big deal but AWD disengaging itself is because the car cannot be towed with all wheels on the ground if AWD is not working. That will cause drivetrain damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts