GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I got my 2011 Terrain in September and I've been having problems with serious static through the speakers whenever an iPod or iPhone is hooked up playing music. If I switch to stereo, it's fine, but the minute I go back to iPod, the static continues. It lasts for about 20 minutes and there's no telling when it will start.. I've brought it in so many times and they've replaced parts, but it still does it. And GM refuses to put in a new stereo unit. Is anyone having these problems?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wish I could help but my iPod Touch plays perfectly. It could be the USB port is faulty and not the radio.

Have you tried a different iPod to see if it's an issue with the iPod itself? Also is this a newer Touch iPad or an older click wheel model?

·
Registered
114 Posts
my Ipod Touch plays perfectly. Been using it since day one, and it's clear, not static.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Might be something wrong with the cord , do you have a different one you can try?
My iPod plays fine in my Terrain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have this problem intermittently with my 2010 SLT2 No Nav. I can be listening to a podcast or audiobook just fine. I use the radio controls to switch to something different and I will occasionally get loud crackly static. It never starts on its own it is always when I have been changing tracks/playlists/whatever.

For my specific problem unplugging the USB from the vehicle and plugging it back in typically fixes the problem. I tried a second cord and it doesn't seem to fix the problem. My suspicion is a short of some type in the Terrain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried 3 different iPods, with the different cords, and an iPhone, and it still happens. Intermittently, I can't pinpoint when it happens. It does go away if I unplug and then plug back in, but seriously? On a brand new car, that shouldn't be the case. I've brought it in so many times to GMC and because they can't replicate the problem, they're refusing to fix, even though I have video recordings of every time it's happened. It's upsetting to buy a BRAND NEW car and the company not fix it!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
katiu83 said:
I've tried 3 different iPods, with the different cords, and an iPhone, and it still happens. Intermittently, I can't pinpoint when it happens. It does go away if I unplug and then plug back in, but seriously? On a brand new car, that shouldn't be the case. I've brought it in so many times to GMC and because they can't replicate the problem, they're refusing to fix, even though I have video recordings of every time it's happened. It's upsetting to buy a BRAND NEW car and the company not fix it!!
No probs with our iPod for 16 months since we got our Terrain.
Keep taking it back until they fix or replace it.
Contact GM customer service.
GM customer service has an account on this forum as well and may be able to push your dealer to get it right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the same thing happen too... It might be 5 minutes or 2 hours into a trip but it starts gradually over the course of 20-30 seconds and gets worse and worse until I have to unplug it and plug it back in again. But yes, definitely annoying on a brand new car.

Reactions: KISSWpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something simular is happening to me as well. There are random loud Crackling and popping noises while listening to music from my iPhone 4 while plugged up to the USB connector. It's really pissing me off, I like to listen to my iPhone all the time and in this car it's practically impossible.

Does anyone have any ideas I can try to fix it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
same thing happens to me. I have an iphone 3G one of the first ones and my radio will do it out of the blue and to rectify the problem I have to unplug the ipod and plug it back in. Same thing happens with a Ipod touch and I've also been through 3 cords. I even tried the word that came with the device.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had this problem with my 1st gen iPod touch and it still happens with my 4th gen iPod touch. I've noticed lately that changing tracks, either manually or when it changes tracks on its own will cause it to start.

I've used multiple devices, multiple cords and nothing seems to help. I think it's in the head unit itself.

I've taken it back to the dealer but they just gave me the "problem not observed." I can't make it do it on command.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone mentioned that maybe the firmware of the idevice might cause it. I'm on 4.1 and I'm about to update to 4.3 I'll report back.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Static Noise When Using the USB Port
January 4, 2010 5:51 PM
On the 2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, SRX, Equinox and Terrain equipped with the base radio and PDIM/USB port, static noise may be heard when using the USB port to play audio from a portable device.

Verify that song data/information is still displayed (song track, title, artist, genre, etc.). Also verify that a portable device can play audio correctly through the 3.5mm input jack.

If the vehicle displays song data and has clear audio when using the 3.5mm input jack, replace the MPIM following SI procedures.

·
Registered
149 Posts
rbarrios said:
Static Noise When Using the USB Port
January 4, 2010 5:51 PM
On the 2010 Camaro, LaCrosse, SRX, Equinox and Terrain equipped with the base radio and PDIM/USB port, static noise may be heard when using the USB port to play audio from a portable device.

Verify that song data/information is still displayed (song track, title, artist, genre, etc.). Also verify that a portable device can play audio correctly through the 3.5mm input jack.

If the vehicle displays song data and has clear audio when using the 3.5mm input jack, replace the MPIM following SI procedures.
There u go! Nice! No issues using USB/Iphone 4 in my '11 Nox standard radio.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The only bulletin is for a 2010, but it may still apply.

#PIC5274: Static Noise When Using USB Port - keywords iPod MP3 player - (Nov 4, 2009)

Subject: Static Noise When Using USB Port

Models: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

2010 Buick LaCrosse

2010 Cadillac SRX

2010 Chevrolet Equinox

2010 GMC Terrain

Equipped with Base Radio and PDIM/USB port
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
A customer may comment of static noise heard when using the USB port to play audio from a portable device.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Verify that song data/information is still displayed (song track, title, artist, genre, etc.). Verify that a portable device can play audio correctly through the 3.5mm input jack. If the vehicle displays song data and has clear audio when using the 3.5mm jack, replace the MPIM following published repair procedures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts