GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I just purchased (ok, technically only ordered) a 2012 SLE-2 Terrain today. In preparing for it's arrival in 8-12 weeks I am looking at figuring how to get me approximately 5000, 22 GB song collection into the vehicle. All of my songs are currently through iTunes now and I have an iPod touch but I'd prefer to have my entire music collection stay in my car as well. Therefore I'm trying to figure out which is a smart move, buy a 32 GB thumb drive (and either deal with converting some songs or losing some as not MP3 or WAV) or buy a used iPod that is big enough to hold my music and play straight from there. Obviously the iPod is at least twice the price however saves any hassle with playing music. Is one option better than the other?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm not sure how slow the indexing would be on a usb drive. I would probably go with getting a cheap ipod. You can get an older 30 or 60gb model and just keep it hidden in the center console out of sight. I use an older 4gb Nano in my car just to hold podcasts. I have an older 60gb model that I could fill up too. I couldn't get my entire collection in the car though, it's about 500GB.

I can't recall the number, but I think there is also a limit with the number of songs or folder depth on a drive. If you use an ipod, you take that out of the equation.

<edit>
The manual states it will only display the first 2500 songs on a drive, so if you have more than that, go with an ipod!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 32GB flash disk with 4640 files (~29.6GB, close to the limit of a formatted FAT32 disk) in my 2011 Nox. In general it works great. The only issue is you have to wait for it to index the whole disk before you can do any searching/navigating etc. This takes about 2-3 minutes on my disk, and happens every key cycle. The current album plays right away after key-on. I am not sure if an iPod makes the indexing faster, or if the 2012 radio is different.

EDIT: not all flash disks work. I have a 32GB Kingston and an 8GB Kingston (I forget the models) that cannot be read by the Nox. All other drives (cheap Microcenter house brand 4GB and 32GB, various no-name 1 and 2GB disks, some 4-8GB SD cards through a Transcend USB<>SD adapter) read fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My iPod indexed so slowly that I attached a USB drive instead. It has almost 8 gb of music on it and indexes almost instantaneously.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts