GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my iPhone 4S synced with bluetooth to my 2011. terrain w/ NAV and am unable to use Siri hands free. Every time i activate Siri my music mutes and the car says call cancelled. Apparently the Bluetooth passthrough doesn't work. Anyone else having problems? This would be awesome to use hands free!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Same here, it doesn't work. Easier to just store names in car.

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's not just Siri. The standard bluetooth voice dialing doesn't work right with the 4S either. I started a thread about that last night. Not sure if it's the new iPhone hardware or IOS5.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a little time to play with this last night. It works, well kind of, in two flavors.

1. Press the call button on whell, say "Bluetooth" wait then say "Voice", then wait for Siri, tell a command, like "Call Name", or whatever other command she can understand.. Problem is that it hangs up after one command has been executed, so you'll have to start all over again. Works good for using the phone, but not more elaborate tasks that require multiple commands.

2. Press the Home button on on iPhone untill Siri mic comes up, the car will display your phone number on the dash, and now you can use multiple commands just by tapping the mic icon on your iPhone 4s. However, now it doesn't know when to disconnect, so you'll have to do it.

I'll get a little more info on this, as I have more time to play with the system. Unfortunatelly for me Siri use is very limited in Canada, can't even use maps or locations yet :banghead:

·
Registered
368 Posts
CFRTim said:
I had a little time to play with this last night. It works, well kind of, in two flavors.

1. Press the call button on whell, say "Bluetooth" wait then say "Voice", then wait for Siri, tell a command, like "Call Name", or whatever other command she can understand.. Problem is that it hangs up after one command has been executed, so you'll have to start all over again. Works good for using the phone, but not more elaborate tasks that require multiple commands.
Well and actually this won't work if there's more than one number listed for the contact. For example, if there are both a work and a mobile number listed, the vehicle will hang up before the phone completes determining which number to use. So unless the contact only has one number associated with it, this doesn't work either. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Have your concerns been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you as well on my end. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information. It also may be helpful to include the last eight of your VIN. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tricia,

Is GM planning an update to the bluetooth firmware? This is big concern as it renders the 4s kinda useless when it come to handsfree.

Also, the play/pause function still doesn't work with iPhone.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Unfortunately I am not aware of such an update at this time. I would recommend keeping in contact with your dealer for more updated information. I will also keep an eye out for any new information and post back if any becomes available. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
249 Posts
OK, so I had a little more time to play with my iPhone 4S and the Nox. If you guys wanna use Siri over Bluetooth, just hold the Home button on the phone until Siri prompts. You'll notice that the car will enable Bluetooth voice and dial your own phone number. At this point you'll have a permanent connection to your phone. Depending on the tasks, you might have to tap the mic icon on your phone display, but generally speaking, you can use voice commands just fine.
You can tell Siri to play a song from you collection, but unfortunately that will not play over the car speakers. I can have her reading out SMS, even replay, tell me the weather, book appointments, etc.. Still Siri has very limited use in Canada, and most of the answers I get are " Sorry, I can't @&%&^%& in Canada.
From the steering wheel button, you can only make one command, and if it's not a phone call, the system will hang-up. Hopefully GM will release an update that will support the use of the steering wheel buttons a little better on the smart phones. Problem is that the primary function of the call button on the steering wheel is to access OnStar, and I hate having to say Bluetooth -> Voice -> then the command, every time I wanna use my smartphone. I had the same problem on the Android. Considering the car has another call button on the rear-view mirror for direct OnStar use, I wish GM will priorities the steering-wheel button for Bluetooth.

P.S. Chevrolet Customer Svc please note the bold text

·
Registered
37 Posts
the iphone 4s is virtually useless in the hands free mode in my 2011 terrain. i would think that someone would move on this issue asap. either Apple or Gm . look how many of these phones were sold and how many states reqire hands free operations This is a safety issue . Im sure its a software issue. Fix It

·
Registered
194 Posts
LarryDee said:
the iphone 4s is virtually useless in the hands free mode in my 2011 terrain. i would think that someone would move on this issue asap. either Apple or Gm . look how many of these phones were sold and how many states reqire hands free operations This is a safety issue . Im sure its a software issue. Fix It
I would not hold out much hope. It's my opinion that GM does not care. They don't look at tech gadgets like tech gadget manufactures do. They are in no rush to update firmware to support new phones. Want proof going to every GMC dealer in your city.....see if five percent of the people even know what pandora is. There is no genius bar at any GM dealership.

I think it sucks too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The problem is not with your iPhone or Siri.. The Terrain/Nox does not have bluetooth audio.. In my F-150 I had a Pioneer Avic D3 with bluetooth audio and I could play a video from my phone and the sound would come out the car speakers. Our cars do not allow that. Try hooking your iPhone to a car that does allow this and im sure it will work 100%..

·
Registered
37 Posts
It seems to me that GM/Terrain has deceived us in many ways in there advertising program. Here are a few----MPG i get 23 average. Hands free Not compatable with iphone 4s. Thats 2 of the main reasons i bought the Terrain.My Customer satisfaction rating on my $35,000 Terrain is 0 . Ill look elsewhere next time

·
Registered
60 Posts
So G.M. is supposed to engineer a car that is compatible with every FUTURE phone for the next 20 years. How are they supposed to for see Siri or anyother new technology from another company. Your way out of line in your way of thinking.

·
Registered
37 Posts
No i do not expect GM to engineer 20 yrs ahead,but when problems do occur i expect a better answer than its Apples problem. Maybe an answer like ---we know there is a problem and we will research it and try to find a solution would be better. Is that out of line????. You never did address the mileage issue did you . I dont know of very many people who get the mileage that they thought they would get. I think many people bought these vehicles expecting somewhere near the mileage as advertised. I understand everyones results may vary but not too many are even close. And these are my opinions and i have a right to voice them on these forms,just as you have a right to think Im out of line.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you guys have problems using Siri, see my other posts above. It's more than functional for me.
Also, keep in mind that Siri can be disabled on the iPhone 4S, so you can go back to using BT regular, without engaging Siri

·
Registered
361 Posts
my phone works flawlessly. but then again i have an android based phone. you cannot expect GM to support every phone out there (especially ones that develop inside of a bubble). the iphone is a popular toy and it is constantly updating its iOS. if your system allows you to store phone numbers in the vehicle and then like the rest of us click the bad breath girl and say "call john cell" then that is WHAT YOU BOUGHT. If you want 100% full functionality then get a ford with sync and let MICROSOFT do all the work. Sorry if i sound negative towards your issues but i think you guys are expecting way too much from this feature. its made to pick up and make calls not do all the things SIRI does. i don't expect to be able to text using swype on my bluetooth and you shouldn't expect siri to work 100%.

For the record if you say "bluetooth....voice..." your voice activation software will then kick in on the phone and let the phone does the rest.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I dont expect GMC to make their cars around our phones for the next 20 yrs. But my Blackberry - the least fancy smartphone there is- cant even get my phonebook into the car...?? Just because I dont have Navi?? Like someone said ^^ for $35,000 I should atleast be able to be handsfree all the time when making calls. Not just my outgoing calls list. And as for Siri, like I said before, you need to Btooth Audio which we dont have.

·
Registered
69 Posts
AMG Eric said:
my phone works flawlessly. but then again i have an android based phone. you cannot expect GM to support every phone out there (especially ones that develop inside of a bubble). the iphone is a popular toy and it is constantly updating its iOS. if your system allows you to store phone numbers in the vehicle and then like the rest of us click the bad breath girl and say "call john cell" then that is WHAT YOU BOUGHT. If you want 100% full functionality then get a ford with sync and let MICROSOFT do all the work. Sorry if i sound negative towards your issues but i think you guys are expecting way too much from this feature. its made to pick up and make calls not do all the things SIRI does. i don't expect to be able to text using swype on my bluetooth and you shouldn't expect siri to work 100%.

For the record if you say "bluetooth....voice..." your voice activation software will then kick in on the phone and let the phone does the rest.
Apple: It Just Works

·
Registered
361 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
Apple: It Just Works
not based on a lot of the lawsuits and iOS patches. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts