GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have a list or know where to find one (besides the dealer) for the interior bulb types? i'm thinking of upgrading these to LED but they don't list the interior bulbs in the owner's manual for whatever reason. Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i didn't think of that, but would be surprised if they were already LED since i would think that would cost more overall (for those types of applications). judging by the color and brightness, my guess is that they aren't LED but i could be wrong. i may have to take a look this evening. i'll post what i find!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tbox302 said:
i didn't think of that, but would be surprised if they were already LED since i would think that would cost more overall (for those types of applications). judging by the color and brightness, my guess is that they aren't LED but i could be wrong.[/color] i may have to take a look this evening. i'll post what i find!
tbox302, I'd have to agree with you that they are not LED lights.
I remember looking at them some time ago and could have sworn I noticed regular bulbs.
Time to take another look.
They're probably a pain to replace.
Well, the first try, anyway.
Probably have to take the engine out these days LOL!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't get a chance to check last night, hopefully sometime today. yeah gearhead, they can be a pain (i replaced all of the interior lights in my wife's jeep compass with LEDs) but the good thing is that once you do it, you shouldn't have to do it again for a looooong time! it just really depends on how they did the light covers, some can be much worse than others, for sure!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well finally got around to looking at the interior lights - I was able to get the map lights cover off. does not use LEDs but since I couldn't seem to get the bulbs out, pull as I may, not sure what type is used there though they appeared to be 921's or something similar, maybe smaller. I looked at the center and rear dome lights and tugged on the center a bit but was afraid of messing the headliner up. from what I could tell the whole piece comes out not just the lens cover. so I guess I'm not gonna worry about installing LEDs just yet. :-\

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We are taking a vacation.
I now see that I'm well overdue.
Why?
Because all along I was thinking this thread was about exterior lighting.
:)
Now to get back on topic.

I'd have to guess the interior lights are indeed LED's.
At least on the SLT-2.
The illumination is typical of LED lighting.
It may be the clusters of very small LED's that are encased in a bayonnet style housing (I can't remember the exact term for the housing at the moment) or it may be the high intensity LED's, either singles or two's or three's per area.

Whatever the case may be, I'd guess 99.9% that the interior is indeed illuminated with LED lighting.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be interested to see what the interior lights look like in the SLT2 so if you feel inclined to take some photos I would appreciate it. ;) as I said the map lights in the SLT1 are not LEDs so I assume the cargo lights aren't either. I like the blue/white light of LEDs better than the yellow halogens.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
tbox302 said:
I would be interested to see what the interior lights look like in the SLT2 so if you feel inclined to take some photos I would appreciate it. ;) as I said the map lights in the SLT1 are not LEDs so I assume the cargo lights aren't either. I like the blue/white light of LEDs better than the yellow halogens.
Some SLT-2 pics are posted here:
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=195.0

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Something I just thought of.
Maybe there are Red LED's that pipe the light to the various locations throughout the interior via fiber optic cables.

Food for thought until the warmer whether comes.
It's 16 Fahrenheit plus there's a bitter cold wind today!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah that makes sense. though it would be cool to change those out that would be a bit labor-intensive for me plus my skills don't extend that far. lol I only wanted to change out the top-mounted dome/cargo lights. the front map lens was easy to remove but I'm afraid of messing up the center and rear lenses - I just can't tell if it just pulls straight out or what. gotta work my courage up. lol

yeah it's cold and wet here to boot. fun times!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I looked at the lights that illuminate the door handle areas of the Terrian.
Rectangular red LED lights sre visible plain as day.

As for the other red coloured ambient lights, I'd have to guess by the appearance and wavelength, they're mostly LED as well.
The red colour is a "pure" red, for lack of a better term at the moment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just to clarify, i'm talking about the dome lights, not the ambient lighting. here are a few pics of my wife's jeep after i installed LEDs:

i did the license plate lights as well:

comparison:

like i mentioned before, the front map lights are regular halogen bulbs, so i would assume the others are as well, i'm just not quite ready to put any muscle behind pulling the center or rear domes out quite yet to find out for sure. lol maybe soon. if i do, i'll make sure to post my findings regarding bulb types here.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Did you loose the "fade on/fade off" ability of the lights with the LED replacements? That feature adds a very nice soft touch to the ambiance of the vehicle that I would not want to loose.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no the LEDs can fade just like the halogens but are much brighter. I ordered all of the ones for the Jeep through www.v-leds.com which I highly recommend though some of the bulb types can be expensive. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, so i finally got around to just going for it and looking at the interior bulbs for the map, center dome and cargo dome lights (the map bulbs were a PITA to remove, but it was also hard getting the new bulbs in but the other sockets were easy, so not sure if that's just how the map sockets are set up, or if I just so happened to have very tight map sockets). they are all W5W (194 equivalent) same as the license plate bulbs. i went ahead and replaced them all (4 total) with LEDs and overall i'm pretty happy though they aren't as bright as those i put in the jeep due to the way the housings are set up. of course my camera died mid-take, but i was able to snap off a couple of shots:

from darkened garage looking in (not a very good pic and doesn't really do them justice)

close up of the map lights

i also replaced the license plate bulbs while i was at it and am very happy with the results. i'll try to post a pic of that soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Islander: yes the LEDs dim on and off like the halogen bulbs

·
Registered
5 Posts
The plastic interior dome light covers pop off for easy bulb replacement. The entire dome light assembly pops out of the headliner if you need access behind the dome light assembly. The lights do not appear to be LED's. I discovered this when I was running antenna wires.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts