GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
Both engines are fine and very reliable. They are there becuase they both address the likes and needs for different people.

Both engines could use a little more bottom end. You do have to rev them a little to get into the sweet spot.

The V6 is a little smoother and quieter. We did get it for more towing and driving in the mountains on some very steep roads.

I do have a Eco turbo HHR SS. I have the Turbo Upgrade from GM on it with 290 HP and 315 FL LBS. I would love to see how this engine would perform in this vehicle. I do worry with the extra weight over the 3200 pound HHR it may have not seen very good mileage as it would be into the higher boost more often.

Once they do a new Nox and Terrain the expected down size I suspect it may make that version. With full torque at 1800-5300 RPM it makes for a very plesent engine to drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Narg said:
Considering cars of the past, say like in the '80s, this modern 4 banger is even more powerful than some V8s back then! My Dad drove a Chevy Suburban for 20+ years that had the old 350 V8. It only mustered 160 horses! 4 cylinders back then were lucky to get over 100 horses. This 180 horse inline 4 is the best engine on the market for this class of vehicle, IMHO. It's not a completely new engine, only the addition of DI, and has stood the test of time so far. I'm sure it will be as good 10, 15 or 20 years down the road if you keep this nice SUV in your garage that long.
Test drove the 4, went to an on ramp to get into highway traffic. Had to put it to the floor to merge, and the engine was screaming. I would have serious doubts about the long term of this motor when it has to work that hard to get to highway speeds in a major metro. For suburbs only or smaller towns maybe... Could not get myself out of this vehicle fast enough. Bought the 6, and now have 45k on it. Steadily get 21-23 mpg combined, 27 highway @ 75. which has me plenty happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
inphoenix said:
Test drove the 4,,,, Could not get myself out of this vehicle fast enough. Bought the 6, and now have 45k on it. Steadily get 21-23 mpg combined, 27 highway @ 75. which has me plenty happy.
I concur, vehicle is simply to heavy for this I4,, I am getting similar mpg with mine as well, I'm surprised it hits 26-28 highway when I can't keep the cruise below 75 either! No complaints though! :thumb:[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I got around 22+MPG during a long weekend trip...AWD V6..Im still happy with that and my V6 !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Had my 2012 AWD 3.0 Nox since last November. 19 inch wheels. All driving is highway/city mixed. Ethanol in the fuel here year round. I currently have 7,000 miles on it. Average 19.3 miles per gallon. Happy with that, as my highway/city is mostly rush hour commute miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,346 Posts
NODES said:
I cannot see them downsizing the Terrain/Nox but rather getting another Sub/compact Xover.
Sorry but this will be the trend for many vehicles. With the 54.5 MPG coming in 2025 may things are going to change radically. The Nox and Terrain will have to lose weight and size is the easiest way to do this. The Buick Encore has already established the small end.

Note too things could get so crazy that even a present GM engineer has stated he would not be suprised if they eleminated the large SUV's at some point and replaced them with a new smaller class of vehicles. Things like the Suburban may be saved just because they can be upgraded to 3/4 ton with lesser standards.

How well the hybrid cars like E assist and the Volt do will determind how much they have to cut from the gas powered cars. They need 40% of the market to be high mpg hybrids to really make it so they can still offer the larger vehicles.

The new 3200 pound ATS Cadillac is only the first telling step of the future of great changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
I'm a v6 lover so i have the V6 and i absolutely love it ! Very powerful and smooth.
After driving ours for a bit I think the "Very powerful" statement might be a bit strong! LOL! I'll be honest, if we weren't wanting this ride right now I would have waited for the 2013 models to come out and see if GM will offer the 300 HP V6 in anything other than the Denali. Who knows, I may trade up..........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
hyperv6 said:
Sorry but this will be the trend for many vehicles. With the 54.5 MPG coming in 2025 may things are going to change radically. The Nox and Terrain will have to lose weight and size is the easiest way to do this. The Buick Encore has already established the small end.

Note too things could get so crazy that even a present GM engineer has stated he would not be suprised if they eleminated the large SUV's at some point and replaced them with a new smaller class of vehicles. Things like the Suburban may be saved just because they can be upgraded to 3/4 ton with lesser standards.

How well the hybrid cars like E assist and the Volt do will determind how much they have to cut from the gas powered cars. They need 40% of the market to be high mpg hybrids to really make it so they can still offer the larger vehicles.

The new 3200 pound ATS Cadillac is only the first telling step of the future of great changes.


2025? I expect flying cars by then...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
sidebite252 said:
I'll be honest, if we weren't wanting this ride right now I would have waited for the 2013 models to come out and see if GM will offer the 300 HP V6 in anything other than the Denali. Who knows, I may trade up..........
It's all left to marketing - that's how 'The Big Three' keep you coming back, ;D

I can't wait to see the new Denali :thumb:[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Re:

Reviving a dead thread, seems like there's a few of those on here... I didn't test drive the v6, the wife's dad had a 2010 terrain I-4 and now has a 2013 equinox i-4 and I've driven both and didn't find a lack in power at all (coming from a mazdaspeed 3 with close to 300hp in a small turbocharged 4 cylinder) it didn't bug me. I'm still on my first tank in the terrain and I've had Eco mode on the whole time. The main reason I got the I-4 is for fuel economy, I couldve got the v6 but I would've had to given up the sunroof and leather to fit the payment I wanted. Everyone has different reasons for either engine, that's why they have a choice.
The Ford escape with Eco boost drove real juice but I found it too small and the styling didn't appeal to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Wife did not like the shifting and revs of the I4 and chose the V6. Should have been a turbo I4 with a 6 speed manual (around 2.5 L) for the size of vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,973 Posts
NorskeNY said:
Wife did not like the shifting and revs of the I4 and chose the V6. Should have been a turbo I4 with a 6 speed manual (around 2.5 L) for the size of vehicle.
Now you're talking ! The 2.0 Turbo with about 260 HP would be fine - but with a 6 speed manual. Unfortunately, they'd only sell <100 sticks !
 
41 - 53 of 53 Posts
Top