GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, with the weather finally getting a little warmer, I took the time to get a lot closer to our new Equinox and take a longer look around the vehicle. I found many very cool things, and a few oddities. I also spent some time under it, to learn more about it's carriage and mechanics, etc. I love how GM designed the front frame. Really seems to add a lot of structure and strength to an otherwise full unibody type vehicle. It also seems to make the vehicle very easy to maintain and work on, if the need or desire ever comes up.

I also noticed what I would call an odd placement for the battery (for GM at least). The past 2 GM vehicles we bought, GM was moving the battery outside of the engine compartment (trunk or under back seat). I loved this idea, as it makes the engine compartment more cleaner, and keeps the battery cleaner too which adds to the life of the battery and vehicle over all. But in the 'Nox it's tucked (hidden?) nicely under the main engine computer module on the drivers side. Seems easy enough to get to at least. Removing one screw allows the computer module to lay out of the way for full access to the battery. Heck you can even get two hands around the battery for removal! That's a plus ;)

Inside the vehicle though, I noticed some hanging hooks that I had not paid attention to before. They are in the back, right inside the tailgate. I've attached two pictures of the left side. There is an identical hook on the right side too. It seems they would easily hold a bar for hanging cloths or other items, but their shape is kinda weird, and their placement is very far to the back to not give too much room for the clothes idea. I couldn't find any notes on these in the manual, so if they are there it's very brief. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
They're garment hooks.
When I saw them in my Terrain my first thought was that I would have placed them a little more forward into the vehicle had if I been on the design team but I've used the driverside one once(picking up my wifes drycleaning) and it held the clothes and didn't interfear with the rear hatch so I really don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I often forget how the rear tailgate window "bubbles" around the back, so even though you can't see it here, there is more room. I guess I'm just too used to these hooks being in the 2nd row seats. ;) Their design is quite nice too.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I thought they had something to do with securing a flat tire in the rear compartment. Need to find that section in the Owner's Manual.

Edit... I found the page I was thinking of (Vehicle Care - 9-67) but it seems you hook the cable through the actual liftgate hinges and not the interior hooks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts