GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

81 - 82 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read this thread with much interest, as I just had to pay $2,000 to have the rear main seal replaced. My GMC Terrain is just 3 years old with 70000 miles.
Someone please tell me if I am wrong, but as I understand this 2.4 liter ecotech engine, there is no pcv valve. The pcv system consists of a small metering hole in the intake manifold which vents to all four cylinders through the intake ports. This let's the crankcase pressure be let into the intake system to be burned. Then there is also the valve cover vent tube from the valve cover to the air intake and then through the throttle body. This leads me to think that if that little whole in the intake manifold plugged, the pressure could still vent through the valve cover vent. Is this correct? Also this would mean the pcv vent AND the valve cover vent would half to plug ( as in freezing weather) to blow the seal. Is this correct? If so, installing an oil catch can in the valve cover vent would prevent this problem?

Mark

·
Registered
59 Posts
This leads me to think that if that little whole in the intake manifold plugged, the pressure could still vent through the valve cover vent. Is this correct?
Yes that is correct if the inlet tube and the air intake plenum are not blocked by ice - goo - etc.
Also this would mean the pcv vent AND the valve cover vent would half to plug ( as in freezing weather) to blow the seal. Is this correct?
That question really has no clear answer, the PCV orfice opening into the intake manifold is tiny and with an older engine having higher blowby, it might still build enough pressure to blow out the rear main seal. ( or more likely just freeze over )
If so, installing an oil catch can in the valve cover vent would prevent this problem?
No, it might help, but the air inlet plenum has a chamber where water vapour condenses and freezes. ( take off your inlet plenum turn it over and look where the tube connects... ) The valve cover vent tube enters that chamber at the bottom and gets blocked by ice etc. I would recommend that you relocate that valve cover vent tube so that it enters at the top of the chamber above any ice etc. and have all plumbing slope so that nothing can collect and freeze.

81 - 82 of 82 Posts