GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
The dealership won't void your warranty if you put a pop-off valve on your oil filler cap.

Good Luck

I am assuming that you read this in the fine print of your warranty, or else you have this in writing from GM's HQ warranty department ? Or, this is your gut-feeling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, I didn't read it in the fine print of the warranty. It was an unofficial statement from my GM Service Tech.

He said that he thought that putting a pressure relief valve in the oil cap was "a great idea" and could save everyone a lot of money if the PCV system would ever plug up.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
No, I didn't read it in the fine print of the warranty. It was an unofficial statement from my GM Service Tech.

He said that he thought that putting a pressure relief valve in the oil cap was "a great idea" and could save everyone a lot of money if the PCV system would ever plug up.

I am not sure i would take one GM Service Tech's unofficial statement "to the bank". On the other hand, JayTee also suggested it, so it must be a good idea ! (LOL) I am not suggesting that it is *not* a good idea, I would research the crap out of it before proceeding, though.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I am not sure i would take one GM Service Tech's unofficial statement "to the bank". On the other hand, JayTee also suggested it, so it must be a good idea ! (LOL) I am not suggesting that it is *not* a good idea, I would research the crap out of it before proceeding, though.

Ergo .. . the reason to buy another Oil Fill Cap to use. However, The pressure relief valve would do nothing and change nothing unless the PCV was frozen or gunked up

·
Registered
45 Posts
In winter I have always seen gunk on the bottom of the oil filler cap, and yes sometimes it is frozen. With very cold temperatures and short drives so little heat gets up to the cap area, so I'm not sure that it would be the right location.... The idea of a pressure relief valve is a good one but chances are that it too would freeze up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
In winter I have always seen gunk on the bottom of the oil filler cap, and yes sometimes it is frozen. With very cold temperatures and short drives so little heat gets up to the cap area, so I'm not sure that it would be the right location.... The idea of a pressure relief valve is a good one but chances are that it too would freeze up.
Didnt think of that, good call on it freezing up. Last winter I had problems with the crankcase vent tube...it would collect water and freeze. If I disconnected that line, I had no rough starts or misfiring. I'm tempted to grab a k&n intake because it reroutes the vent tube (actually replaces the factory one) it also would be easier to run a can of can of valve cleaner through the system, clear clean route into the intake.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i got a silly idea but want to hear your guys thoughts on this.

what about the oil dip stick? doesnt the oil dipstick run straight to the oil pain? what if in the winter months you left your dip stick not fully pressed in/seal off in the oil dip stick tube??? wouldnt this allow extra crankcase air to escape? just a thought

also where do i buy this presure relief valve??

i may be willing to make a few oil caps and ship them out to people so we could trial it for the winter

·
Registered
207 Posts
so it looks like the camero ss and the terrain use the same oil cap (see attached image)

for the camero ss they make really nice oil cap breathers (see the link)
https://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/CFM-Performance-Billet-Valve-Cover-Breather-for-1998-02-2010-15-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-ZL1-LSA-LSx-LS1-5-7-LS3-6-2L-766p212.htm

so maybe if we throw one of these, rather expensive caps (but less expensive than an engine rebuild), on our vehicles in the winter we could be saved from a engine blow out?

These oil caps are made for engines that experience high crank case pressures when super charged and at high rpms. so it looks like when the engine is in a negative vacuum the check ball on the breather cap will seal but if there is a positive pressure (such as clogged frozen pcv) the check ball moves and air escapes. I think that this oil cap might work?
thoughts??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
It would probably work. . as long as it fits and has a check ball valve in it.
Usually, though, these types of oil breather covers are used as part of an over all PCV system change where the OEM factory PCV path is modified. As long as there is nto air leak to atmosphere under normal conditions I would thing that cap should work.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Under heavier throttle conditions, or when coasting down hill or up to stops, back flow will occur in the PVC air intake tube. Happens in all PCV systems.

That yellow sludge like stuff is oil/water emulsion from oil and water vapor that forms in cold or very humid weather conditions. Not much you can do about it. In newer engines they have both increased the diameter of the tubes and orifices and run the PCV path deeper into the engine internals to keep things warmer. The larger diameter tubes and path results in slower air flow and less cooling of the vapors. The deposits still form, but end up in the oil so freezing and deposits are less likely to form.
The downside is. .. change the oil more often in cold weather. I always change oil in October and again in January some time no matter the number of miles on the oil and filter. I reason it is worth it rather than having all the moisture build up.

Also, here is another idea. Buy another oil filer cap, drill a hole into it, and install one of these. * See pictures attached below. *
It won't reduce the moisture and crud build up, but if it does get very cold and the PCV orifice or path freezes or gets clogged, this pressure relief valve in an oil filler cap will release built up blow by pressure in the crankcase and prevent main seal blow out. . . . in theory. Run the modified oil filler cap in the cold winter months. Put the stock cap back on in summer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
5,315 Posts

what about the oil dip stick? doesnt the oil dipstick run straight to the oil pain? what if in the winter months you left your dip stick not fully pressed in/seal off in the oil dip stick tube??? wouldnt this allow extra crankcase air to escape? just a thought

HERE: - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i may be willing to make a few oil caps and ship them out to people so we could trial it for the winter

HERE-: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GDXT3O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
JayTee - make sure you "sell" them with a big disclaimer just in case someone has an engine problem, and tries to chase you down. May be better to give an instruction set and let people do it on their own, again with your disclaimer.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
JayTee - make sure you "sell" them with a big disclaimer just in case someone has an engine problem, and tries to chase you down. May be better to give an instruction set and let people do it on their own, again with your disclaimer.

Yeah . . not interested in wholesale selling or being a vendor. :grin:
Just making my engineering recommendations. . . Which I's offering for free.
Take it . .. . or not.

·
Registered
554 Posts

Check the length of the dip stick to the length of the tube. Tube press fits in the block, I've never seen one go through the block down into the pan. I had a '67 Chevelle with a worn out motor back in the '80's that had a lot of blow by and on a sub zero trip coming down from the Adirondack's the blow by iced up the carb. , leaned out the motor and burnt a piston. In the process it blew out the dip stick which was a very short one anyway on a 250 ci. six. Edge of the piston was burnt off pumping a lot of compression into the engine which I discovered after getting home and pulling the head off.
If there is enough pressure in the motor to push oil out the tube I'll take the mess over changing blown seals any day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear Crankshaft Oil Leak after freezing cold weather

This exact thing happened to our 2013 Equinox - driving it on a Sunday after a weekend of below zero temperatures. Stalled twice and we drove it straight to our garage and left it for them to look at the next day. They stated it was rear crankshaft oil leak and wanted $2k to fix. We found the Service Bulletin 14882 regarding and thought Chevy would take care of it but our VIN wasn't covered. Was told there was bleed over on those bulletins a lot of time and to pursue from the manager of a dealership. We took it to a Chevy dealership dropped it off on a Monday they told us nothing until the Friday - when we inquired they said they were still looking at it and would see if Chevy would pay. We assumed since they had it so long they were fixing it & Chevy covered it but nope. Called Chevy and opened a case but they denied saying it wasn't a covered VIN even though we had the same make and model, were under the 10 years and 120k miles. I've seen a lot of the same for others with same make & model. Only way to get them to expand the recall is for people to file with BBB's autoline

https://www.bbb.org/autoline

If it happened to you, file a case - if there are enough complaints you may get a refund for the work done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 Equinox, winter of early 2020 and our discontent

Well I guess you will; have to add us to the list of cars that have experienced this issue. Our local mechanic says it is the 7th case he has seen in the past two weeks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
2017 Equinox, winter of early 2020 and our discontent

Well I guess you will; have to add us to the list of cars that have experienced this issue. Our local mechanic says it is the 7th case he has seen in the past two weeks.
NO SURPRISE. ... 7 rear main seal failures in 2 weeks, seen by 1 local mechanic...when it is ice cold outside....... what was the outside temperature,

Reduce the chance of rear main seal failure when it is ice cold outside...
See post #2

61 - 80 of 80 Posts