GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to find out what function the detent does on the instrument panel dimmer switch.

Turning the knob almost all the way to the right bumps against the detent, and turning it past seems to do nothing.

I've searched my owners manual, and the forum search but can't come up with anything.

Anyone? 2011 Terrain

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm having trouble understanding what you mean....are you saying that twisting the knob past the limit should do something? The "detents" you refer to are only there to define the upper and lower brightness limits...and also to keep the knob from endlessly spinning around which would make it quite hard to adjust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remember on older cars that you would turn the dimmer switch to a point where you were at maximum panel brightness and turning it

past what I will call a stop would turn the interior dome lights on? On mine, turning it past the stop does nothing to make the panel lights

any brighter during the day or night. It seems like the switch has a position that isn't used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I thought it turned on the dome lamps when it got to the detent. (as long as the switch for the dome light on the overhead console is in the middle position)... I will have to double check when I get home.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I turn my Dimmer Knob all the way clockwise (it's very stiff) I don't get full brightness on the instrument panel. This is a problem when the auto lights activate, when it's not completely dark, the instruments are not full brightness making the digital speedometer difficult to read. I'm going to have it checked on my first service.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
rshaw1655 said:
When I turn my Dimmer Knob all the way clockwise (it's very stiff) I don't get full brightness on the instrument panel. This is a problem when the auto lights activate, when it's not completely dark, the instruments are not full brightness making the digital speedometer difficult to read. I'm going to have it checked on my first service.
I am glad to see that you are planning to to work with your local dealer for more assistance. Please feel free to keep me posted. You can contact me via private message as well. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
249 Posts
rshaw1655 said:
Any update on this?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I am not sure why they didn't use the detent to override the auto interior dimming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 Nox (1LT, DCP, steel green metallic) and love it. But I have wondered about the dimmer switch and why nothing happens when it clicks after full rotation to the right. I also drive a late model Chevy Silverado pickup for work, which has a similar dimmer switch with detent. It turns on all the overhead interior lights after the click. I would expect the same for the Nox. Strange.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I too remember having a vehicle that past the detent made interior "dome" light come on. My guess as to why it does nothing is that switch has the ability to have something wired to the "after detent" but nothing is wired to it. Kind of a bummer, but the detent is artifact of how things used to work. Unfortunately the pessimist in me says that the auto companies are too cheap to require the parts company to change the part, probably knowing that changing the part's cost would be passed on to them.

·
Registered
673 Posts
it seems like the engineers skipped a few common sense items in our vehicles....maybe it was a upcoming long weekend Friday shift. ::)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts