GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a lot of research including info recieved from some guys on here and wanted to compile a sticky for installing Factory OEM Foglamps in NOX's without them. I will be going through the needed parts installation and wiring for operation.

Before Pic

After Pic

What You Need:
1. Factory OEM Bezels Left Front & Right Front Approximatly $81 USD after Shipping

http://www.partswebsite.com/gm-car-parts/?i=1&model=695&make=116&year=2010&section=181&catid=30119&subcatid=47917&partid=0&type=parts&image=GV10010&imagecallout=21

2. OEM Foglamps for 2008 Malibu+ Wiring Harness Approximatly $98 USD

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-CHEVY-EQUINOX-FOG-LIGHTS-OEM-PAIR-SWITCH-WIRE-/310236245744?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2008%7CModel%3AMalibu

That is really all for parts

Removal:

1. First remove the Fillers by gently unclipping then from the inside of the bumper cover and pulling(gently) on all 4 corners until they release
2. Once Released there will be a screw that holds the filler on closest to the Front License Plate, If your worried about saving the fillers
It will not be economical to do so (bumper cover will have to be removed)
3. You can either pull back until the plastic tab on the filler is exposed or until it breaks. If exposed simply Cut it or if your like me I just tore it off. No harm no foul
4. Once the filler is removed clean the affected area.
5. Remove the screw that will still be left in the filler clip. Use a pair of needlenose to loosen it then just turn the clip. (KEEP the screw you will need it later)

Installation:

Bezels

1. By your liking unpackage with Left or Right bezel.
2. When putting these in you want to be very careful to not bind them.
3. Start from the outside(of the bumper)and gently push the bezel in until you hear each of the 4 corners click
4. Once they are seated into place you will need to install the screw from earliar back into the bezel.
5. To do this simply using a flashlight locate the hole next to the housing area closest to the license plate.
6. Gently Turn the screw in by hand to ensure no crossthreading or stripping
7. Once in tight by hand using a ratchet and extension tighten lightly until bezel is secure(do not overtighten)
8. For otherside simply repeat.

Foglamps

1. Procure your foglamps
2. Doesn't matter what side insert the foglamp with the adjusting screw on top until all clips grab and the foglamps are secure
3. Repeat for other side

Wiring

Here is where it get's tricky, Each person is going to want to do their own thing which is understandable this is what I did

1. Pull the harness out stretched locate the end with three wires a Red, Black, and a White. It will have a plug on the end of it
This is the end you want inside your vehicle to power and run the included switch.
2. In order to get the harness inside the vehicle I had to send the wires through the emergency brake hole located directly in front and below the drivers seat

3. Once inside the vehicle the Wiring can be routed as you deem necessary. I ran mine under the carpet beside the molding
4. I installed the switch below the steering wheel(came with 3m double sided tape) as there was a gap in the stripping for the wire to run through, I then fed the plug down through the molding to plug
into the wiring harness.

5. Once the interior install is complete we can move to the outside. You will need to run the harness through the engine bay. I went ahead and purchased a wire shielding to protect the wires.
6. There will be the initial ground wire off the switch which will be short. We will need to find a place to attach and ground the switch. I used a frame hole that was empty located just behind the rear of the front tire.
I went ahead and also sanded the area to ensure a good ground.

7. From here you will want to route the rest of the wires through the engine bay avoiding any moving objects or exessive heat areas.
8. Once you have confortably positioned your wires. You will still have a red wire left from the switch and a red wire with a fuse that goes to the battery. With the included
splicer splice the red wire from the switch into the fusable red wire coming from the battery. You will want to splice after the fuse not before it.
9. Hook the hot(red wire) and ground(black wire) to the battery. Tuck whats left of the fuse and relay wiring away to the side. I put mine near the outside of the battery.
10.Finish routing the rest of the wiring to the foglamps, first hook up the driver side foglamp. You will notice the wiring is not long enough to reach the passenger side
11.You will need to splice some wire in to extend it to reach the passenger side foglamp.
12.After extending and plugging in the passenger side foglamp you have completed the installation. Simply hit the switch and assuming no faulty products you have foglamps.

As I said each method is going to be dependent on the installer. I am very picky about how I do things and took quite a while running the wires. This is simply an outline to
go by if you need it.

Total Install Cost : $179 USD
Total Time: Approximatly 2hrs

·
Registered
38 Posts
there is already a topic on this in the forum, but this i would have to say is more informative than the other. great post

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
My experience with Fogs on a Maxima and the Nox is that visually, they are fantastic, however, I find their addition to the driving experience to be a very little value. I have found very few times when they provide extra light that I couldn't live without. That being said, I think the front of cars that have a black filler instead of fogs look like crap - they need fogs from an appearance standpoint. IMHO

Excellent write-up !

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Terrain with fog-lights. I would just like to say however , as a forum member--thank you for the time and effort you put into this well done and informative thread. Good job, Ron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input gentlemen, I just wanted to clarify questions some may have when wanting to upgrade to the foglamps. I have noticed a lot of people add them for the cosmetic value but never really follow through on the actual use of the bulbs.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Looks like a great guide for those who need it. It's a shame that GM didn't see fit to even give LS/LT1 buyers the option of paying for foglights...when they should have probably been standard equipment for all trim levels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi this was a great post. I will be posting pics of installation of No Holes PArking Sensors in my Chevy Equinox 2010 soon. I have finished the rear bumper and it required some hit and trial to get the sensor working as designed.

Now I am moving on to the front bumper. I have a question , how do I route the cables from the the front bumper inside the car below the steering wheel. Any inputs will be appreciated. i would avoid using the parking break hole as mentioned by you. Do you have any other suggestions.

·
Registered
332 Posts
RIT333 said:
My experience with Fogs on a Maxima and the Nox is that visually, they are fantastic, however, I find their addition to the driving experience to be a very little value. I have found very few times when they provide extra light that I couldn't live without.
Actually the fogs on the new Nox are the first ones that I found actually provide quite a bit of extra light on the road. That's a big plus when the road is black, wet and there is no ambient light in the area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great post, just bought a 2011 1LT with drivers convenience pkg. Can't believe these fogs aren't an option. They make the front of the vehicle look fantastic. I will be buying the parts asap!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just did the install of the bezels/lamps today- and it changes the look of the nose SIGNIFICANTLY! Much better looking, and quite simple to do. I acutally did the job on a creeper without raising the nose at all. And the lamps themselves snapped into the bumper so easily (the actual lamp mounts are molded into the bumber-cover itself), I thought there must be something I missed! The hardest part was putting the screw into the new bezel; you'll need a 7mm socket with at probably a three inch extension. You may also be able to get on it with a speeddriver, but I didn't have one handy. Use a quarter-inch drive socket (a deepwell was what I used). Then don't go nuts when you finally tighten things- it's just a thin metal speednut around the plastic that you're screwing into.

Now I have to figure out how to make them light up! I'm still thinking there has to be a way to make the GM harness and stalk-switch power these things...just not sure what lighting harness part number I'd need (the Combo Switch PN 25980456 covers 2010 and 2011 w/foglamp models- both Chevy and GMC) and if the BCM would require programming (most likely, but the less-than-helpful parts guy at my selling dealer said "replacement" not "reprogram"). Otherwise, I'll look into having the local accessories shop wire them for me. But since I'm going TDY for the next two months, nothing is going to happen on the wiring front until March at least. :mad:

But boy, does it look good now! I'll have to fight the hangover to take a new pic of the 'Nox for my avatar tomorrow! Oh- and Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
207 Posts
dustin10nox said:

Might want to put a rubber Grommet on the wires going threw that hole.

Very nice write up. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great write-up on this installatin...much appreciated. Now I''ve already received the bezels from the website posted above....very satisfied with them. Regarding the lights, that particular link is no longer available on ebay. There are so many out there available on ebay and amazon...but they all say they are for a different car..saturn, cadillac, chevy.. etc..and different year models also...My question is.....which one do I get? They seem to all loke the same ...but at very different prices...I don't want to spend all this money and they don't fit the bezels ...thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
IrieLove said:
Great write-up on this installatin...much appreciated. Now I''ve already received the bezels from the website posted above....very satisfied with them. Regarding the lights, that particular link is no longer available on ebay. There are so many out there available on ebay and amazon...but they all say they are for a different car..saturn, cadillac, chevy.. etc..and different year models also...My question is.....which one do I get? They seem to all loke the same ...but at very different prices...I don't want to spend all this money and they don't fit the bezels ...thanks in advance
I'm pretty sure that the actual foglights (not the bezels) from a 2008 through 2011 Malibu are the same ones used on the Nox.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awsome post! I've just picked up a new 2011 "nox" but had to settle on the LT1, cause I needed to move and could not wait for an LT2 in the mocha steel... Really liked the look w fogs and could not believe it when the dealer said it's not an avail. dealer installed option. Anyway, I've ordered the parts and as soon as they arrive I'm going to install em. Are you or anyone else aware of another place to conect to the 12 volts besides the battery? I was hoping to find a switched on with ignition relay , etc... so I don't forget to shut them off and drian battery.... [/color] Thanks so much for taking the time to document this.
Jomac

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did the bezel kit u bought include the chrome? i can only find the bezels themselves and not the chrome accents to go with them, or at least list that it does.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The bezels come with the Chrome accents
Here are the part numbers

20847185 LH fog lamp bezel
20847186 RH fog lamp bezel

1 - 20 of 43 Posts